Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge on Emails

Options
  • 21-11-2002 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

was i hearing things on Gareth O Callaghan? something bout the EU possibly bring a levey on emails, like 1 cent an email or something like that, can anyone give me more info, or whats this bull all bout? They said all the money collected for the email would be used for the rollout of broadband *insert laugh here* I may have got my facts wrong, anyone else hear this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

LOL there has been two threads about this. tis a farse tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seating

i got some email about that today. Bastards. Even though they said they would put the money towards the good of the IT infrastructure. But 1c is a bit too steep , i'd pay .01 cent per email no prob , if it mean better connection times and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's a fuppin HOAX!!!!!

Mods, please lock this. I couldn't stomach a third thread on this today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

oops apolgies :) sorry bout that guys

but they could technically impose such a tax right ?

i heard that they were only thinking of it because of calls from places like Ireland Offline, to improve. At least its proactive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by seating
    but they could technically impose such a tax right ?
    No, they couldn't. It's impossible from a technical point of view, as well as being ludicrous from an economic point of view (not that that has ever stopped McCreevy).

my mail didn't say anything about the EU :confused:
    The Minister for Finance, Mr McCreevy, has warned Irish Internet users that the government has not ruled out the possibility of a levy on email messages. Sources close to the Minister said that it was among several "new and interesting ideas being discussed to generate extra revenue streams for the Exchequer".

Under the proposal, Internet service providers would collect a small nominal fee per message on behalf of the Exchequer. Department of Finance officials are said to be considering a levy from senders in the order of 1 cent per email. The new charges would be introduced in the next Budget, and would be passed on to the consumer.

The monies collected would in turn go towards expanding the country's IT infrastructure. "It would be similar to the way the monies collected from the recent plastic levy go towards environmental measures," one official said. "We have received a few objections, but the principle is basically much the same as public-private partnerships to build new toll roads."

However, several Internet companies have argued that the new levy will stifle Internet use in Ireland. "If they do adopt the levy, we would have to close down within the week," a spokesman for the entertainment website P45.net said last night.

"We publish over a dozen email newsletters a week, and one of them has more than 23,000 subscribers. We don't charge people who receive our newsletters, so the idea that we ourselves might have to pay over 230 euros each time we send an issue seems to be medieval," the spokesman said.
    what would happen if your mail server was out ireland ,surely that would not be something that irish ISP's would have to start to think about ?(i.e. getting a mail sever in the states )

{edit : damn quotes :( }

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

For god's sake can somebody post up a sticky or something explaining there is a hoax! This is at least the 3rd thread dealing with this.

Its about as much as you would expect from Gareth O'CalorKosanGas to echo a silly hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

just because this seems to be thread number 3 saying this:

It's a hoax!

And an old hoax at that.

(locked)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement