Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me open my floppy disc, please

• 21-11-2002 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

How does one open a floppy disk that has material on it but won't open?
    The message 'this disc is not formatted' comes up and we all know what happens if you say YES to formatting...

The Mac has a wake up system that works very well and so nothing is lost but has IBM got such a saviour also?

Your help urgently required.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Norton's disk repair is the only utility that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

try :

My Computer

right click on the disk

Scandisk

try :

restart in dos

insert disk

at the prompt > a:/scandisk surface autofix

try :

3rd part utility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by a bientot
    How does one open a floppy disk that has material on it but won't open?

Any chance it was kept near a phone, mobile or otherwise? Speakers are another culprit for apparent "spontaneous" non-functioning. Have you tried it on another computer? Chances are its buggered if none of the above methods work on two computers. But definitely try it on at least too - for some reason I find that some 'bad' floppy disks will work ok on a different computer. But in general, they're just cràp. I don't even own any now, with the exception of a couple of Windows 2000 bootup ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The reason apparently bad floppies will sometimes work on a different computer is due to the alignment of the read/write heads in the drive vs. the location where the data is stored on the disk. If the disk was made on another pc yet appears bad when you put it in yours, this may be your problem. If you can try it back in the drive it was written in, this will confirm it for you.
    Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, maybe one of the more techie types will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

It could also be loose slighty, take the disk out and shove it in quickly/hard then try it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement