Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nForce2 MPT chipset, So so close

• 21-11-2002 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a ASUS A7N8X motherboard.

Overall, system preformance has gone up just over 20% from my old SiS 745 chipset. Did a few benchmarks, but if your a gamer, you will appretiate this board. My 3D Mark Max 2001SE score jumped from around 9000 to over 11500 so its a pretty substantial jump. I'm using a geforce4 Ti4600.

I only got this motherboard because the above was giving me grief.

There is one little problem with it though, when windows 2000 boots it takes twice as long. This is at the graphical loadup screen where the blue bar moves across. I don't know whats going on here, but the optical light on my mouse seems to flicker on and off about 5 times and there is no hard disk activity.

Anyone seen or read about this? I dunno if it might be trying to negotiate the twin network cards or process the hardware, i don't know. That's the only hang up in an otherwise great board.

And there was only one dodgy entry in the win2k event log...
    ===========
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1007
    Date: 22/11/2002
    Time: 01:55:44
    User: N/A
    Computer: S01
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00E018BB6045. The IP address being used is 169.254.236.65.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....
    ===========

Don't know if that would have any effect. Thats the only error I could find. Would a boot log help, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

It could be the computer is looking for a DHCP server for its ip address?

Mess around with network setings, maybe give it a static ip (eg 192.168.0.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Heres my bootlog... some weird entries :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Did you wipe out your Windows installation when moving to the new board? Windows generally hates waking up with all new hardware.

i tried just installing the new board, but got the blue screen of death on bootup.

So formatted and reinstalled (twice), but alas the system now takes and extra 70secs to even get into windows.

Good news,

fixed the problem, only requiring ALL of the updates on the MS update things. Look 2-3hours to install them. No more waiting though. Just thought id share my experience, seen as the chipset's only been released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you can get hibernate working on your machine, windows bootup times will be cut to maybe 10 seconds max.

Hibernate copies the current contents of ram to disk, so when the computer boots up, it just has to load this from disk, no messing around detecting hardware or initializing anything. And windows is responsive straight away, in the exact same state as you left it.
    Can be a bit dodgy to get working on some boards. Have a look anyway.

nice.

is there a url one could follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well if you look at power options in control panel, there should be a hibernate tab. If this is greyed out, you should look to enable it in the power management section of your bios setup first.

Advertisement