Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review: iRiver iFP-180T

• 21-11-2002 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Images: url=http://www.boards.ie/members/munch/1.jpg]1[/urlurl=http://www.boards.ie/members/munch/2.jpg]2[/url

The iFP-180T is iRiver's first venture into flash memory based MP3 players. They've built up a good reputation for themselves for their line of MP3-CD players, notably the "SlimX", and they're continuing the trend with the iFP-180T.
    I ordered mine from http://www.mp3players.co.uk on Tuesday morning, and had it in my hands here in Carlow on Thursday afternoon - not too bad. It is a little pricey, weighing in at STG£169.00, including VAT and delivery. This translates to roughly 266 euros at current rates. One wonders how come the device costs only US$ 140 in the United States.
    The player is incredibly lightweight - it weighs roughly the same as the single AA battery that powers it. It boasts 128MB of flash rom to store your MP3s in, and will also play back WMA and ASF audio. iRiver is rumoured to be working on Ogg Vorbis support, which can be added to the player by means of a firmware upgrade. The iFP manager software bundled with the player is rather clunky. I'd prefer if they'd write a USB storage driver for the device so that files can be transferred using Windows explorer, or other apps, but for now the iRiver software is the only way. Consequently, this means there is no Linux or Macintosh support for the iFP-180T at the moment.
    Files are transferred to the player quickly enough via the supplied USB 1.1 cable, and the sound quality provided by the supplied Sennheiser MX300 earbuds is excellent. Its worth noting that you can store any file type on the player. You cannot download mp3's from the player to your computer though, due to a supposed copyright protection effort. A few websites I've seen have suggested that it is easy to circumvent this protection by hex-editing certain files associated with the iRiver software, however :)
    The device is roughly the same size as a butane lighter, and is equipped with a 4-line high resolution LCD screen with a green backlight. You can turn the backlight off or set its timeout through the easy-to-use menu system on the player.
    The iFP-180T also has an FM tuner, and is able to store 20 preset stations, and can also record from the tuner to a proprietary ".REC" format. I have found the radio tuner to be quite good, getting good reception and full stereo on all the national radio stations and most of the local ones. Voice recording via an integrated microphone is also available, but the quality isn't great. The radio and voice recordings can be uploaded to your computer via the iRiver software.
    Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Its a very well designed piece of kit. The menu system is easy to navigate and the device just looks great - check the pictures above for proof!

I'd give it a 9 out of 10 - dropping the 1 for the poor quality voice recording and crappy software. If you're the type of person who wants their entire mp3 collection by their side, this isn't for you. Get one of those hard-drive based players such as the iPod or DAP Jukebox. But, if you want a small, stylish device that can store about 2 hours of music in your pocket, I'd highly recommend the iRiver iFP-180T.

Full specifications:
    European FM Tuner
    FM Tuner Recording
    Voice Recording
    Plays MP3, WMA, ASF files
    128MB memory Built in - non upgradeable
    USB file transfer - 4.8mbps
    Bitrates supported: 8Kbps ~320Kbps
    Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz
    No moving parts - thus no skipping during playback.
    Green LCD Backlight
    4 Line High Resolution LCD Display
    Supports 36 Languages
    Supports up to 8 levels of subdirectories, recognizes maximum 100 folders and 255 files
    Unique joystick controller
    ID3 Tag Display
    Supports Winamp playlists
    Easy Menu Navigation
    1 AA Battery gives ~20 hours playback
    8 Equalizer Modes
    BASS Boost
    Upgradeable Firmware
    Sennheiser MX300 earbuds
    All normal functions (Fast Forward , Random , Shuffle)
    Colour: Bright Silver
    Distinctive Prism Shape
    Weighs 32grams (not including battery)
    1 AA battery and USB cable supplied

Availability in Europe:
    I've not seen a lot of places selling this yet, but the following do:
    http://www.exportmp3.com (Netherlands, but they ship all over europe)
    http://www.mp3players.co.uk (UK, free shipping across the EU)
    http://www.komplett.ie - They say they will have the iFP-180T soon. It is already available from their Norwegian and German sites.

- Stephen Hanafin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

device costs only US$ 140 in the United States

*woot*!

/me thinks mesa shall purchase said device for 3 hours wait in airport for connecting flight home after christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

If I didn't have my heart set on a Zen the IFP-180T would be the one for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭Wossack

Originally posted by Kaimera
    *woot*!

/me thinks mesa shall purchase said device for 3 hours wait in airport for connecting flight home after christmas :D

Any chance you pick me up one aswell? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Wossack
    Any chance you pick me up one aswell? :D

ehhh...how about...NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm looking more at the iMP400 tbh.

I've one question though.
    How do you upgrade the firmware?
    ie what do you use to conenct the player to the PC?

• Advertisement

One other thing about the iFP-180T,
    can you use it as a portable drive device?>
    Ie can you upload any sort of file or only supported types?

Is there an open-source client for it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The firmware is updated via the iFP manager software and the supplied USB cable. It takes only 1-2 seconds to do the upgrade. You can store any type of file on the 180T as well, but there's no open source software and it won't work as a USB disk (ie, appear in windows explorer).

If you're using it to transfer files from one PC to another you will need to have the iriver driver and software installed on both.

Also, the software prevents you from copying mp3s from the player to a PC, but that is easily worked around - it involves hex editing a DLL that comes with the iriver manager software and deleting "mp3" from a list of file types :) - ie the copy protection is in the software, not the hardware, which is nice.

snoogins :)

I'm torn between the iMP-400 and the iFP-180T atm.
    iMP has waaaay more capacity, but has to rely on CDR/CDRWs which isn't the most convenient, but seems to have every fécking feature and configurable option under the sun, the remote even has snake on it.
    the iFP is nice and qucik to use, but 128meg is still a bit small (~2hours @ 128kbps). Also, does it fit comfortably in your pants or is it yet another bulge? is it small enough to put on your keyring? :)

Im still waiting for my iFP-180T (rowr :D) to get delivered.... ordered last friday, c'mon!

Syx - the iFP is very small - fits easily into a shirt or pants pocket. There's a 256mb version available in asia now - the iFP 190T, and it should be available in Europe sometime soon as well. According to a number of websites, the iFP and IMP have the exact same menu systems - same options etc. Only there's no Snake on it :)

• Advertisement

I think I'll wait for the 190T :)

Have no cash atm to buy it, what with going out over christmas and networking the house.

They've announced a 512mb one too now. Dunno the model number or how much it will cost though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Stephen, it looks ns and all but I think that the JukeBox 3 looks much better. I mean ok its not small but for a bit more you get a portable hard drive that is a mp3 player and is only the size of a normal CD walkman. and look at all that ot has got, I mean check this out it looks the biz.

Also if that is to expensive or fancy they have cheeper versions of the JukeBox C for around $150 (and that has a 6 gig drive)adworld.com/products/quickview/]MP3 players[/URL] but best of all they have the Jukebox Zen I mean a 20 gig mp3 player for €390. but check them out if u like.

P.S: Stephen, it looks ns though, u bring it in so I can check it out? cya @ college, the lads are playing in the COmpsoc lab if u want

Sorry I didn't see your post till now. I'll bring it in on Monday :)

http://www.iriveramerica.com/iFP-195T.htm

$350

Ships on Feb 14th

When the European guys get one I'll deffinately pick one up.
    Bloody class piece of kit.
    If it had an expansion port on it nothing could stand in its way.

mp3players.co.uk have it ... for a whopping 500 euros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I'm interested in getting one of these for me birthday. I'm a bit baffled at how they work though (Fell free to lol away at my question) How does the music actually get from your computer onto the little thing? I've never used one before.

It uses a USB cable.

6.4MBit/sec is the write speed of the flash memory, which is decent enough considering USB1.1's max speed is 12MBit/sec

512mb version I presume is exactly the same as the 128mb one? (except for the size of the storage :rolleyes:)? If so... blooooddeeey ell, you have any idea how small these babies are? Ive nearly put mine in the wash once or twice :D

• Advertisement

the iRiver iFp-300 series is going to be released soon enough.
    They seem to be a bit bigger then the 100 series, but still look sweet.

Anyone seen the iFP-195TC around for cheap?
    Looking at buying it from the states if I can....(bloody power adapter may be a bitch though).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Define cheap?

As regards the the power adaptor, a hugh amount of american goods are starting to ship with dual power capabilities (110 & 220) I noticed it on a lot of things I bought over there. Something to do with the online market place. Even if it's not you can pice up a varity of power adaptors in most electrical shops for under 20 euro.

Advertisement