Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing irishbroadband.ie - Whos interested?

Options
  • 21-11-2002 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

ok I have two people within stillorgan who are interested and are looking for more so we can get coverage to the area from a friendly neighbour who is willing to host the omni-transmitter to give wider coverage of the area.

We will be splitting costs on the omni-transmitter if there are only a few of us although if there are upwards of 7-10 then IBB have promised they will provide it if we share the cost of installation!

Is there anybody out there apart from Sangre who I know is in Leopardstown (making a grand total of 3 of us atm) who are interested? leave your names here pls!

Otherwise I'm gonna start knocking door to door :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I'm in Farmleigh, off the Dual Carriageway. Asked for a signal test last Friday but I'm geuss all the failures have made them put off testing me for a while.

Should I not be able to connect to their node in Sandyford then I'd definitly be interested.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

well i would of , but since the scrapping of the first time buyers grant i can't

no really, im gonnna spread the word now and stop wasting bandwidth, sounds good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Dead right I'm interested, how much will this cost?

I'm at the junction of Beaufield Park and Lwr Kilmacud Rd, right beside the no 11 bus terminus

Had IBB out a couple of weeks ago and could not get a viable signal, would have got it installed right away otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yesch, exchellent ms.moneypenny!
    i live up carysfort ave. in blackrock.
    nearer stillorgan than blackrock.
    well interested but it depends on how much this insallation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is a great thread to see here :)

Ill sticky it if it drops of the front page tact (and if the entire front page isnt stickies by then....).

edit: Ive changed the topic to hopefully get a few more peoples attention.

Please dont reply to this unless you live in the target area or have some piece of relevant information to the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I'll get in touch with them and find out exactly how much coverage we can get from this by Monday and I'll organise the thread a bit with exact cost details etc. There is even the possibility of sharing the cost of a line :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

check out dublin.irishwan.org. There's a couple of people in that area who might be interested, and who know a lot about wireless technolog (Rob Fitz & John Leuyner anyway)
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ikomj

I'm near the Galloping Green. I would be interested in info on this when available.
    Ikomj

Just to let you know I have a line test on Friday. Will post pass/fail.

Should I pass I'd love to share the connection, but my location doesn't seem to be at the heart of peoples interest (and the lay of the land sucks too).

I wait with great interest for your post today TacT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

and that location is?

• Advertisement

could someone explain exactly how this would work?
    are ye on about setting up a wan or whats the story?
    me is a bit stupid in this area.:o

Well the pricing is as follows.

265 for installation

40 a month for 512/512 with an 8:1 contention ratio.
    70 a month for 1M/bit with 8:1 contention ratio.

Or you can go with the business package if ya feel like splashing out, or just love bandwidth that much ;)

365 for installation and 4:1 contention ratio

512/512 - 135 a month
    1M/bit - 250 a month
    2M/bit - 450 a month

I'll be ringing them tomorrow early afternoon.

[edit] thanks quozl, I'll check that out now [/edit]

Scruff - If you live near enough to Stillorgan the omni-transmitter can (me prays) strengthen the signal enough to give the area more coverage by bouncing the signal from their main node in Sandyford/three rock.

Currently I'm getting 20db of signal which is just borderline but because of a few trees and the neighbours house being higher than mine (and being directly in los) they reckon it's a bit iffy, throw the omni-transmitter up there and wham bam thank you mam, myself and others within the area can get broadband which was previously inaccessable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

I'm interested, live in stillorgan.
    Though I would only be interested if you got the highest bandwidth package. Like the 2 mb one, or maybe I didn't quite understand, if the 512 or 1mb line would be for me only then I would be fine with that but sharing I wouldn't go for anything less than 2mb :)

... could someone clarify, internally the bandwidth would be greater than 512Kb. I am assuming IB could arrange so that the omni host and all users of the host could each get 512Kb connect to the outside world, but none get more than their paid for share.

Am I thinking right? How many could be connected through the 1 transmitter? <max bandwidth>/512 .... theoretical max is 11Mb, but given so few are able to get any signal at all what would be a realistic figure? Perhaps only <10 people could use a node, are there 10 of us yet :D

Or is the idea to get a 2Mb link and share the cost ....

edit: I think it would be far more signifigant if we were working with IB on this and not sharing the one connection. It could mean quicker spread of their network for one thing, but perhaps legal issues and rights of access and things

(ps lobo, location is in second post, Farmleigh estate, just before Green's Pub (or a green pub)).

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

I'm in stillorgan & very interested

if there are upwards of 7-10 then IBB have promised they will provide it if we share the cost of installation!

that level of interest seems to have been reached - looking forward to this getting off the ground

well done for getting the ball rolling TacT!

ok I currently have 8 people on the list who are near/within range, could everyone who has posted above to show their interest pls pm me with your name, address and contact number/e-mail so I can pass on the relevant info to IBB and then see what they think.

Or you can mail me duncan@campus.ie with the relevant information. I'm waiting on one or two more details from posters who have said I'm interested but nothing more so I can get back to IBB with concrete info and we can hopefully get set up as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

About the sharing a line etc, I'm sure they can give us 512/512 or whatever your after each, I was simply stating that if cost is also an issue that people could also share a line :)

This is looking good to go with extra mayo, anyone who hasn't sent me their details pls do ASAP so I can make the call that will get this show on the road.

Ok, now check your email :)

just after mailing ye too but the messages got rejected cause your email is full.

i'll try pm'ing the details to ye.

• Advertisement

sorry folks, mailbox cleared, in case it hasn't,
    try paddyfrog@hotmail.com

or pm details here pls, thanks.

Anyone who's worried that any information sent here will be used elsewhere pls, rest assured any information sent will be held in confidentiality! All info will be available between myself and IBB and will not be used for anything else.

I haven't rung IBB yet because it is possible that some of the people down here may not be able to get coverage from the transmitter, in which case someone else on the list may be able to host one to give more people or another area coverage to get a service we desperately want and have needed for far too long. I hope and pray that this works out well for everyone who's posted and sent on their information. *fingers crossed*

Also, I have yet to receive information from the following posters!

d0gb0y
    theciscokid?

I had a word with one of the gentlemen who deals with installation and los tests for IBB atm. Bad news first :o

Unfortunately they may not be able to do anything for us before January. Although they have been granted permission for a base station on Belmont Nursing homes which will give us and a lot more of the Stillorgan/Blackrock area coverage for the service :)

They can't say exactly when it will be put up but can assure us that it will eventually. They're busy bunnies and are doing everything possible to seal more deals to get us what we need.

My information will be passed along and they will review it and our positions and the possibilities. They're fairly swamped from what I gather, hope your not working too hard there ;)
    We will get coverage sooner or later, in the meantime, I'd hope to see this list growing a bit more, we're up to 8 definates and 2 possibles. 10 in total.

I registered with http://irishwan.org there but my gammy campus.ie mail a/c doesn't seem to want to receive mail :o
    I re-registered and received my password so I'll put a post up there later on this evening because I must run to work atm.

Thanks to everyone who showed an interest and to those who sent on their information to secure their interest and IBB's! Those I have not received information from pls get in touch! :eek:

Ikomj - I know whereabouts you are but don't have an address etc.
    d0gb0y - I need more than a post to say your interested pls.
    melachi - mail never got through could you pm the info pls, thanks.

everyone else, gonna have to sit tight for now :eek:

Unfortunately they may not be able to do anything for us before January

I've waited this long another few months is not a problem!

just signed up with UTVip so that will ease the eircom bill-pain for now
    Although they have been granted permission for a base station on Belmont Nursing homes which will give us and a lot more of the Stillorgan/Blackrock area coverage for the service

Where is that?

oh well can't say i'm surprised.

i suppose its a good sign that they've got such demand...

time to sign up for that esat bt diall up package to tide me over.

cheers for the sterling effort TacT

Belmont Care Centre
    Galloping Green, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin.

belmont.jpg
    belmont_sat.jpg

*rob plays with iol's maps*

hehe We Will have coverage for the lot of us, Rob thanks for digging out the map, as you can see, this is going to give all of us what we've been waiting for :D

The other thing that was mentioned to me over the phone was there could be problems with someone hosting the transmitter at their home, the main one being, they may need to get at it any given hour should there be any problems. The other being, lets say transmitter owner tires of service or whatever else may happen and they are no longer willing to host said transmitter, then ourselves and IBB land themselves into trouble which I'm sure you can begin to imagine..

Hm I already sent you a pm, check your inbox.
    I sent another one just to make sure :p

Cant see that Belmont transmitter being any use to me, but lets see (btw thanks for the map rob1891!)
    The other thing that was mentioned to me over the phone was there could be problems with someone hosting the transmitter at their home, the main one being, they may need to get at it any given hour should there be any problems.

Depending on whats involved I might be able to help there - I would not have any objections to hosting a transmitter, but other people have to be consulted. I will have a better idea how feasible that might be in about 6 months time. But if I'm outside the range of any signal what use is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Hmmm... I have a horrible feeling that this Belmont transmitter is going to be no use for me either. Depends if they put it up on a few bricks so it's above nature's cursed "trees".

I take it that this is their solution for Blackrock/Monkstown, and there won't actually be a transmitter IN Monkstown?

• Advertisement

that is correct

although they are in talks to get more base stations up at various other locations, give em a ring.

Advertisement