Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite dishes and lightning.

• 21-11-2002 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Should I be concerned about this?
    Is there any built in protection against lightning strikes on the dishes or any precautions you guys take during lightning storms?
    I usually unplug everything when I see one coming but we get a few massive ones down here with no warnings at all?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The great thing about satellite dishes, is that how high up you mount them doesn't make any difference, as long as they have a clearish view of the satellite. So I mount mine at shoulder level, in a corner of the garden. Hopefully the lightning won't find it over there... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmc

satelitte dish is at no risk. the digibox is at risk if it connected to a phoneline. I had to buy i new one cause lightning came through the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The LNB can fail in a storm if a big static build up or a nearby strike.

Chimney mounted Dishs are not too smart:
    1) More likely hood of wind damage
    2) More likely hood of Static damage or Lightning strike
    3) Hard to get at to realign or replace LNB.

Originally posted by mmc
    satelitte dish is at no risk. the digibox is at risk if it connected to a phoneline. I had to buy i new one cause lightning came through the phone

Always disconnect everything (fax, PC, Digibox, cordeless phone) on Phone Line during storm.

If bad & nearby unplug stuff from mains too.

A strike 30meters / 100 ft away from power cable feeding your house can "fry" everything. Even motors on Fridge/Freezer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I take it houses supplied with underground electricity and phone are safe from Lightning strikes?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I take it houses supplied with underground electricity and phone are safe from Lightning strikes?

No that's worse!!!

Lightning = several million volts at 100,000 amps.

Ground is highish resistance...
    So if stream / buried metal pipes are near to side of underground wires and lightning hits ground 100 yds away, the "induced" voltage from the current pulse through the ground can be 400V or more.

Several thousand volts isn't unusual.

I always recommends external Modems as they are easier to replace and usually the external modem is "sacrificed" to save PC. With internal model the mother board often gets damaged.

I did lose a Serial port in a storm once. No obvious nearby hit, though lots of thunder and flashs. It came sudden so phone line wasn't unplugged. The modem wrecked. I still use the PC with a new modem plugged into the other serial port. If it had been an Internal Modem the Mainboard would be wrecked (It's a Dual CPU RAID server).

I designed telephone equipment to be installed in Panama Canal company once. They get electrical storms nearly every day. We had serious protection components and design NEVER seen in domestic gear and not seen much in Telecoms / Industrial. Even it could not take a direct strike (on the spot a cable burried) without good liklyhood of a failure. ( or do I mean bad likelyhood?)

Advertisement