Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digital ports on Eircom ISDN

Options
  • 22-11-2002 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Some background.

On hearing about UTVip we decided to get a second line for internet only, ISDN we thought would provide the answer, 2 lines, low pings, little faster downloads etc. So, wanting to keep our Voice calls with Eircom (for some strange reason), I signed up the second number only to the UTVip service.

First bill comes around and I realise something horrid. We have used 0hours and 0minutes of our allotted 150. I had the ISDN TA connected to the second digital port on our Eircom box thinking it was the second number.

Having not been here when the engineer installed the thing I was not aware that only the analogue ports had been assigned to the two different numbers, the digital ports both corresponding to the original number, that had _not_ been setup for UTVip.

Ouch! So I need to know if there is any way to program the box so that the digital ports (either or both) route the calls through our second number, that _has_ been setup with UTV.

I do not look forward to our next Eircom bill :(

rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

extremely harsh indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

and also the Digital ports will always default back to the main number ie all calls will show up under the main number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

so there is no way to solve the situation, other than getting the main number switch to UTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I thought the (M)SN number you set in your ISDN dialup determined which number the CLI appeared to be coming from? That is if you have set your subscriber number as xx02 (having xx01 and xx02 as your two numbers), then regardless of which port the modem is plugged into, it will use that number? I could have sworn that's how mine worked, but I don't have it anymore so can't check.

.cg

I don't quite understand, where abouts does the the number go in the dialup settings?

dialup.png

Ah, me thinks I have found it, under the device manager? Ugh, I am late for work, thanks for your help!

rob

• Advertisement

Just to let you know I got this working by actually installing the Eicon TA software (wow, who would have thought of that!), using what it calls a "virtual modem" with some crazy wacko init string to set the outgoing number.

I am going to email utv and ask them to verify that I am now getting billed by them.

thanks again,

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I have my ISDN set up similar to the way you have Rob,I just rang the engineer that installed my ISDN, and he told me exactly what someone else said here "the Digital ports will always default back to the main number ie all calls will show up under the main number". Eircon do not at present have separate billing for ISDN.... sh!t :mad:

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

With Eicon products (on 2000 and XP), you go into Device Manager/Network Adapters and double click on the Diva adapter. Go to the ISDN tab and you should see ETSI/European DSS1 set as the switch type. Click on Configure and you can set the MSNs. These are used on outgoing calls.

If anyone's ever having trouble with Diva products, just let Fr Dougal know :))

Small update, got my eircom bill yesterday and was very pleased to find only ~10 short internet calls (to IOL) after the date I subscribed to UTV.

So what does this mean? Eircom are not billing me for the calls I make to UTVip, and UTV aren't recording the amount of time I am spending on their service ....

I had a short chat with a guy in tech support before I got the bill, it was Sunday, no engineers around and he said he'd get back to me, no word yet, but hell, what do I care!

... no I should get it sorted out, later .... :D

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by rob1891
    So what does this mean? Eircom are not billing me for the calls I make to UTVip, and UTV aren't recording the amount of time I am spending on their service ....
    I'm in the same boat, I *think* as long as you had the 13513 prefix before the 1890 number you should be safe enough. At least that's what I'm hoping, up to a few days ago if you rang 135131890927161 on a non-UTV enabled line it would still connect to their modems... That means that the safety procedure of putting 13513 in front of the phone numbers you wished UTV to carry didn't always work. :(

viking

• Advertisement
Advertisement