Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank

• 22-11-2002 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭

not sure if this would be better on a college board but anyhow...

I'm in first year of an accounting and hrm course and I really don't like it, so much so that I'm thinking of dropping out
    I've been thinking about it for awhile so this isn't a spur of the moment decision now that exams are looming.
    There's nothing I really want to do in college and I'm thinking that I would be better off working a 9-5 probably in a bank where I'd be happier than where I am now and earning a proper wage.
    I've applied and am currently waiting on replies but I'm just wondering if anyone on this board went straight from school to the bank or found themselves in a situation similar to mine and if so do you regret it or was it the best move you made regarding your career so far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I think it would be worth keeping at it in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

one of the hardest desicions to make unfortunately.

i was in a similar situation and made the wrong choice, although financially i coulnt keep myself in college i had to leve and work.
    it took me 8 years to get over it, to pay of my loans and actually work my way towards getting a better job.

if you do the course, at least you will have a degree. very handy, even if you dont want to go into accountancy.
    the big problem is what are you going to do instead.
    get a job in a bank. sounds good, but there are some issues.
    can you get a job?
    will it be interesting (its boring, believe me!)
    what are you going to do after working at a till for a year?

the best way to decide is to decide what you ultimately want to do. then, give yourself small managable achievable steps.
    all the way, give yourself small aims to achieve that will enable you to move where you want.

for example, when i left college i worked ina factory pressing buttons for 12 hours at a time. i wanted to be in IT.
    so i slowely taught myself all about PC's and then went for a helpdesk job.
    i got one, and then i worked hard and got myself a desktop support role. i did some exams, which then allowed me to go for a bigger support role and finally team leader. then i decided i wanted to be a network engineer. and so i started doing everything i could to learn about networks, servers etc.
    and i got a network admin job. that went onto being a network engineer.

each step of the way, i planned what i wanted and how i would get there. what i would have to do to make me look like the person who could do the job, and to be someone who could actually do the job. and it worked.
    small steps.
    managebale targets.

course, im in sales now :)

somewhere it all went horribly wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. :)

I think my main worry at the moment is whether I should give up on getting a degree in the next 3 years.
    I've made an appointment with the career guidance person in college but in my past experience they never seem to have any definite, or even that useful answers which is fair enough considering that ultimately it's my decision and they can't make it for me.
    the best way to decide is to decide what you ultimately want to do
    this has to be my main problem, I really have no idea. I never really have, just had vague ideas as to what I might like to do.
    In reality, I just want a job that pays somewhat decently and which, even if I don't love, I don't particularly hate either.

I chose the bank to apply to because it seems to have the most options available to staff as far as further training and further education goes. Anyone have any experience of that?

Advertisement