Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED's / Power switch connection to motherboard

Options
  • 22-11-2002 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I have recently upgraded two PC's with new motherboards. Got a new motherboard for one and gave the old motherboard to somewhere else.

The problem I have is with the connection from the LED's (power and disk activity) and the power switch to the motherboard.

The old Dell and Gateway cases I looked into had a pin structure something like this on the cable from the case:

I.e. one pin missing.

The problem I have is that the new motherboard (ASUS nForce 220D board) does not match these pins like the old motherboard. I managed to get the on/off switch to work by somehow getting the pins in the right place, but now I have no LED lights.

Does anyone have a solution, like an adapter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I think it's easier for you to buy a new case, but if you're stuck for cash and have any soldering skills you can chop the old large connector off and put on new little ones, (one pin each) but as for where you'd get those, all I can suggest is tearing them out of another old case.

Or just leave it the way it is, you have a power button, what more do you need? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I had the same problem since a recent upgrade and only got around to sorting it yesterday. The pinout on my new board was totally different to the connector too. I took the individual pins out of the connector block and put a bit of heat shrink on each of them to insulate them and stop them shorting against each other.
    Depending on how well labelled your new motherboard is you may have to connect them by trial and error. The power switch is the easy one as all it's doing is momentarily bridging two pins. The hard drive LED should be two wires, bear in mind that LEDs are diodes and so will only function in one direction. My board appeared to have a choice of three pins for the two wires but it didn't take long out which went where. Ditto for the power LED but it will probably have three wires, one common, one for the green light and one for the orange standby mode.
    Once you are happy that you are playing with the right pins for the LEDs it shouldn't be possible to short anything or do any damage trying the various combinations.

Advertisement