Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour blindness

• 22-11-2002 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else suffer from this ? I was recently diagnosed with red/green colour blindness , now i cant go for a certain number of careers that i was interested in ...gardai etc

strange thing is im fairly talented in art , doing sketching and painting etc ...just pisses me off and wanted to say that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Dont suffer from it myself but a friend from way back did. If it's any consolation, he's a professional photographer and quite a good one at that. I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭MDR

I wonder if they test for it in the Garda Medical ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

As far as i know they do , as they do for firefighters and electricians. Thats all i know for definite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i was diagnosed with it last year. it was a real pain in the arse because it limited my options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

It's about 4 per cent of men, and half a per cent of women.

http://www.eyecareindia.com/subcontents.asp?subcontentid=41&sectionid=6 has a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 colorado

i was diagnosed with deuteranomaly (red/green) colourblindness when i was very young
    it didnt affect me too bad as a child but there are some things i cant do now as an adult, for example i can never drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by colorado
    i was diagnosed with deuteranomaly (red/green) colourblindness when i was very young
    it didnt affect me too bad as a child but there are some things i cant do now as an adult, for example i can never drive

You can't drive.
    I've never heard that colour-blind peopel can't drive.
    That's the stupidest thing ever.

You can still tell that the traffic lights are on & off. And any other signs are design so colour blind ppl can see stuff fine

Or is there some reasoning i'm missing?

- Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by MDR
    I wonder if they test for it in the Garda Medical ?
    They do yeah.

A fella I know went for it and the medical was very through and stringent. He actually had to have that eye laser surgery thing done cos his eyesight was a teensy bit less than what they needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I can only make out like two of those numbers. Should I be concerned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by unreg

strange thing is im fairly talented in art , doing sketching and painting etc ...just pisses me off and wanted to say that.

Mate of mine has it. Got his degree in art college and has great job in game design. Worked his whole life in graphics and design. As for discounting other careers while maybe it would be then again you might fail the exams for other reasons like thousands of other people. It used to be that you had to have perfect eyesight for many jobs including as a pilot. But now you can wear glasses (within reason) flying too. Its stupid rule. It will be gone in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i got the top left and half the bottom left one. i thought it was 50. no surprise really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

My brother is colour blind in red and blue or something like that, never stopped him doing anything. Though he was told that women cannot be colour blind or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by damnyanks
    I can only make out like two of those numbers. Should I be concerned ?

Well, it means you're probably colour blind.
    So. eh, maybe, if you're planning on being a garda.

- Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by unreg
    Anyone else suffer from this ? I was recently diagnosed with red/green colour blindness , now i cant go for a certain number of careers that i was interested in ...gardai etc

This has some minor advantages, as colour blind people are more adept at picking out similar colours from each other. Armies use colour blind soldiers as spotters as they are less likely to be fooled by camouflage. AMy also be of use as a designer / paint company, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Im color blind too.
    Had an apprenticeship with Fas to be an electrician on my 1st day in tallaght i got the eye test and was promptly sent home ,broke my little heart :(

The Japanese dont use coloured wires as such as most of em are color blind they use Nos on the wires.

1 is live etc:

Now why the fook cant the EU do something other than straight bananas and implement that over here.
    And also make a time machine send me back in time 11 years and make me redo that eye test :D
    kdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you are colour blind with regards to specific colours what colour do you see when you look at them? Grey?
    Or can you see them, it's just when they are put together that you cant see? Like on that test what do you see just a load of dots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Evil Jose

Im red/green colour blind n it doesnt make any difference to my life. Granted, there are some careers that you cant get into but they are few and far between. Most people dont understand how colour blindness comes across/ I can see the colour red and I can see the colour green. The only problem is that I just cant see them together. They blur n go a konda greyish browney colour. And Im dead special, cos only .4% of women in the world suffer this kind of blindness!!

Makes me feel special n stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Winters
    My brother is colour blind in red and blue or something like that, never stopped him doing anything. Though he was told that women cannot be colour blind or something like that.

in genetic, girls have an XX on one of their chromosomes and guys have an XY on one of theirs, thats what determines if youre male or female. If one of the x's gets affected, females have the other x as a backup, whereas guys dont, coz their other one is a y. so its far more likely for a guy to have this kind of genetic defect than a girl-red green colourbindness is a sex linked trait. (its the same as haemophilia, except when a girl gets it the foetus usually abosrts itself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

you can driver if you have colour blindness
    also go visit your local opticians. depending on your colour blindess you can get glassed that correct the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

i blame it on genetic science

Advertisement