Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Databases

Options
  • 22-11-2002 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

First of all I dont know whether I should have put this under MS APPs or here.

Im kinda new to coding web sites.

Im doing a web site in PHP and was wondering could I use Microsoft Access for my database?

If not how do I write my database?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

err you could. but PHP generally runs on UNIX hosts, on which I doubt that the majority of Access-based DBs could run.

I'd reccomend either postgresql or mysql... they are both extremely easy to use with PHP (it has built in interfaces for both).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Kali
    err you could. but PHP generally runs on UNIX hosts, on which I doubt that the majority of Access-based DBs could run.

I didnt know there were any Access0based DBs except, err, Access. As in Microsoft Access.

If you're running on a windows box, then yes you can, but no you shouldnt. In fact, you should avoid file-sharing-based databases entirely, and go for a proper client-server DB, like MS SQL Server or MySql or whatever.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I had considered using MySQL.

Is there anywhere I can download the software MS MySQL server or MySQL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

www.mysql.com

it is free!

Advertisement