Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive won't work :\

• 22-11-2002 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

The other day I noticed in System Properties (Win98) that I had some conflicting devices. Both of them appeared to be "Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller". So I removed/disabled one of them to see if it'd clear up. The system was working fine btw, I just had to go messing didnt I? :]

Anyway, today I tried to open the DVD drive and it wouldnt respond, no light at the front, no sound from it, (even at startup) and it's gone from My Computer and Sys Properties.

Fixing it is made a tad more difficult due to the fact that it's a Thinkpad 600E Laptop's internal DVD Drive.

I've tried "Add New Hardware" and it didnt find it.

It's a Toshiba SD-2102 DVD btw.

Any way to fix this? I dunno what to do :\

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ghostshell

Try going into the bios and see if the dvd-drive is enabled.If it's not, then enable it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Looked in BIOS, theres no option to enable. There is a 'test components' option, but the CD/DVD option is greyed out :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ive the same , one only.

me dvd is working, below the Interl 82371 can you see a

primary IRQ 14 and

secondary IRQ 15

IDE channel, the dvd is on the second usually not DMA but PIO only in advanced settings

I vaguely remember something like this in win98 after faffing with a virtual cd rom so I UNINSTALLED the controller rather than disable it and then it was picked up properly by plug and play on reboot and has hummed away since. Worth trying.

I was worried about removing it altogether because for one thing I've no Windows cd and I've also got no floppy drive, so without the CD/DVD I would've been totally screwed if it went wrong or needed drivers or anything...

Buuuuut, I just tried it and it worked :]

Cheers Muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

dunno why the dopey OS decided it had two IDE controllers when there is only one ........

you probably have the full OS install in c:\windows\options\cabs which is normally hidden. (unhide in wondows explorer , view menu , options, show all)

M

• Advertisement

Nah, I always make sure to delete that stuff.

Call me crazy, but I just can't afford to waste that much space on a 6GB HDD :]

Advertisement