Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music

• 22-11-2002 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

To get into any of the music courses in Ireland (espicially trinity) how good do you have to be at palying the instrument to get in? And how many places are there a year?
    Anyone know?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Dunno but I believe you have to have at lest Leaving Cert. grade in one instrument. What's that, 5 or 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

here's all the info you'll need about Trinity's music course

Teaching
    As each year has no more than 20 students, teaching takes place in small classes.

Getting in
    You don’t need Leaving Certificate music, but we do expect entrants to have a good ear.

We require reasonable proficiency at the keyboard (at least to the extent that a student can play a hymn harmonisation)

No student is expected to perform on an instrument, though we have a performance option for good players in the third year (many fine instrumentalists and singers have studied with the School of Music).

The entrance test comprises a general-knowledge paper, a listening test, and a theory paper that includes a simple harmonisation. Most attention is paid to a good performance in the aural part. All applicants must sit the paper and, if asked, attend a short interview. Specimen entrance papers are available free from the Music School. (email the Music Secretary)

The interview allows us to select the most highly motivated students. It also gives us a chance to reassess those who have done less well in the test than they might have expected (perhaps due to nerves or illness). Applicants will not be asked to play.
    Overview of TCD Music Course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by DrummerBoy
    We require reasonable proficiency at the keyboard (at least to the extent that a student can play a hymn harmonisation)

No student is expected to perform on an instrument

Except the piano, natch;)

Seems very enlightened I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

My best friend is is studying Music in Maynooth. (Pure Music, not in Arts) and she had to go for an initial written test, then an interview but never had to audition. Although she did have to perform last year but I cant be sure how they decide what level you should be at. I don't think it lankes or breaks your passing or failing the year. Could be wrong.

But maybe trinity's course is more performance based, I haven't a balls. All I know is that there's no set level of performance for entry to maynooth, as far as I could grasp from my friend when she went for it in 2000.

Advertisement