Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be annoyed?

• 22-11-2002 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭

I just want to garner some opinions on the following:
    I recently had my mobo' & processor upgraded.I got an Intel Pentium 1 Ghz and the board I got was a PC Chips Socket 370.
    I was a bit peed of when I opened the case and found there was no AGP slot on the board. There were loads of free PCI slots but that wasn't much consolation.
    I took it for granted that there would be one on it when I got it back, I never even thought to tell the people I employed to do the job to make sure the new board had one.
    Is this common practise nowadays on new mobos'?
    I saw a board the exact same as it on sale in PC Superstore for €95 and it had an AGP slot! I was absolutely boiling, I can tell you.
    It's a bit of a disappointment for me as I wanted to install a graphics card for TV-OUT but now I'll have to buy a PCI one off Komplett which is bound not to be as good as a proper AGP one.
    I was charged €490 for the whole job but that included installing a DVD-writer (supplied by me) and I also gave them my old HD, CD-ROM drive, floppy drive etc.
    It was basically only the board & processor that were new (a new tower case and power supply box had to be installed also)
    I thought that was quite expensive as Pentiums are cheap and the board is a pretty basic one I reckon. The case couldn't have cost more than €60. I think they must have charged a lot for labour or something.....
    Having said all that, everything on my system is onboard now, ie sound, modem, etc. which is quite handy.
    Like I say, I'd just like to know if any of you think I've been ripped off, and for your opinions on the missing AGP slot.
    I could have done it myself of course (boast,boast...) but I just couldn't find the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yah you should be annoyed but by the fact that they used a No AGP Mobo but they sold you a PC Chips.
    I see months of probelms ahead for you.

Ask them to change it for an AGP one.

Pc CHips = bad.

kdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Completely agree with kdjac. That, in no way, was value for money. I'm putting together a package for a mate, from komplett, and it is going to cost him €700 inclusive of VAT (no monitor), but that is all top spec stuff, geforce 4 ti, ASUS mobo, AMD XP 2000, etc...puts your purchase into perspective.

PS: Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yup u should be pissed off and not just because the motherboard has no agp
    the parts they used are fairly old now but they charged like it was the latest stuff
    this happens all the time cos most ppl wont know the differnce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

should have come here first i think...probably five heads living near you that would have done it for far less... and bought good gear to boot.

my charge? 50 euro labour to do that. Limerick area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

I agree I was overcharged, but thre's no way I'm taking it back, as KdjaC suggested.
    In fairness though, I have got onboard modem and sound on that motherboard, which must account for some of the (large) price.
    Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better.
    I'll stick with it and put it down to experience..
    Thanx to everyone who replied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

At least give us the name of the shower that did this to you. Forewarned is forearmed, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

Onboard sound and modem may sound good but its not , what happens if your modem or sound fails ? It requires a mother board change ..alot more hassle then replacing a faulty modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

That's true.
    Anway, I've decided to build all future PC's I might buy myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Those bunch of cowboys took you to the cleaners ..they probably made a 200 to 300 euro out of you for that (I could have made that much profit and I am not in the business, I've made 3 pc's for myself down throught the years)..

Try to change the mobo ... ask for seperate sound and modem .... go to komplett.ie and check out some prices ... make sure they don't pull the wool over your eyes a second time ...

One last thing .... did they give you a new windows 2000 licence or some other software? (with licence ... always make sure you get the original software packaging / shrink wrapped little book with the licence printed on it) .... this would explain the 200 to 300 extra euros....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Oh yeah ... forgot to ask you to name and shame them!! If you dont someone else in your area may be shafted by those shower of bastids....

• Advertisement
Advertisement