Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for BeOS, AmigaDE etc

• 22-11-2002 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Our computer society has recently come into posession of 6 P2 350Mhz 64meg machines which we intend to eventually make into a 6-node cluster.
    Until we get sorted on that (we've to modify the skeletonised case of a PDP-8 to hold them) we're going to throw on a few of the more obscure and wierd OSes to see what they're like.
    I have Lindows allready. Going to throw that on this weekend, if not tonight.

Anyone got any suggestions and links to .isos?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

windows 3.11, 6 floppies

seems really weird nowadays

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

windows 3.11, 6 floppies

Don't forget the 3 MS-DOS 6.22 floppies you must install to have an OS for running Windows on.

MS didn't include DOS 'til Windows 95. ;)

c:\getafucinmoveonyahapea****e<cr>

C:\>SMARTDRV.EXE
    Out of memory
    C:\>

"Tw*t!":p

loadhigh c:\dos\smartdrv.exe

will we do the 640k the emm and the himem lesson now.

mM

• Advertisement

c:\dos\emm386.exe noems novcpi
    files=255
    stacks=9,256

himem.sys? Better hook me up with those /p /e switches!

The glory days of Microsoft OS's......
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Lindows 2 or the all-new-singing-dancing Lindows 3?

I've a copy of Windows 1.03 if it's the kind of thing you're into:rolleyes:

Sent you a PM re BeOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

you should check out qnx. the one ive got come on as an iso(dont think you can dl it for free anymore) but they have a version with a full gui that fits on a single floppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup, QNX is a good OS to mess around with, if you want to learn about realtime operating systems. I'm not sure about it fitting on a floppy. The non commercial version is what I'm using for my FYP in college, its a free download of 195 megs, and yes you can still download it:

http://www.qnx.com/nc/download.qnx

This includes the gui, web browser, and loads of development tools like gcc, gdb, etc. Runs very acceptably on my dedicated qnx pc in college ( p133 with 32mb of ram ) :)

Theres plenty of software ported to QNX, I haven't had time to install it because I'm too busy with my project, but it is a really fun and easy to install OS.

In other news, you could try installing freebsd. ( ftp.heanet.ie for super fast download ). Its not obscure at all, but now would be a good time to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, the 3 BSDs will be going on it.

Atm we're looking for Solaris x86 aswell.
    Our admins are going to mess about with drive sharing stuff because we've to figure out an economical way to give users access to both frink and (hopefully - if we get it) reinier.
    The 70gigs is going to be very constrictive, and we can't move their home directories accross nor can we really map the drives using distributed filespace as after about 5 users start large transfers over the 100Mbit lan it'll make SSH conns lag out :(
    Without more scsi space the machine is nigh on useless as a primary box, and frink is too damn old.
    Have to hit the college for another grand for 3 more 10K 35.4Gig SCSI discs for RAID5, and we'll still only have 140gigs.
    <naivity of youth>Unless some corporate crowd give us 5/6x 70gig 15/10Krpm scsi discs :) </naivity of youth>

u using hotswaps then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm not all taht familiar with the sun kit, but I'd bloody well hope tis hot swappable.
    for €13,000 twould want to be :)

Advertisement