Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls playing video games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Originally posted by rachel
    mention of street fighter reminds me of myself and a friend hustling guys to play against us in the fun factory and beating them at street fighter. :D
    That brings back memories.

lol! I think we've met, ahem, no comment on who won ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I played sims for a good month or two before I got bored, plenty of guys I know did too. Don't see much scope for improvement in the addon packs though. Simsville might have been something decent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Greenbean
    I played sims for a good month or two before I got bored, plenty of guys I know did too. Don't see much scope for improvement in the addon packs though. Simsville might have been something decent though.

Yeah but you are very feminine. Any girls I know (I mean the one I know) only plays stuff like age of empires but also was addicted to that little alien guy in the alien farm for a few weeks.

Oh and also had a serious red alert addiction.

They seem to like strategy simulation type games more than testosterone fuelled frag fests.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I know 2 ... my sister being one, my cousin the other. Both play battlefield1942 and DoD ... arnt i great knowing two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yup well females are mutlitaskers, so the simple frag games can get a wee bit boring were as strat sims have a lil more happening at the one time.

There are a lot of females playing online games like eq as they have the action but also the interation with other people via chat windows.

most of the females that play the sims dont know the diff twixt a cd drive and a cd burner never mind what cracks and patches are for. they turn on the pc and it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

....with out trying to start a priacy debate and warz monkey cards!

Perhaps the reason that the sims sells so well, and its addons, is not all girls are as pc savy as guys ( bar thead and koneko, and in not starting a sexist debate here either, just posing a thought ) are at using thinge like nero/clonede/warz sites. And so do the decent thing and actually buy software ( i really dont blame any one riding M$ though as they are Ba5tard5!). do like to see those small software houses do well, but EA make enough money these days!

Shame on warz monkeys be they guys or gals! But this may be the reason that the sims do so well.
    If ya wana make money target wemon (Mel gibson does), not since street fighter 1 came out in the arcades did i see a cue at an arcade game till that dancing game came to the plex! and were there any guys in that cue? NO!

so any other girls like to think they know their way around a computer, come on prove me wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Girl gamers ? It's not natural I'm telling you.

But then maybe I'm just still smarting from the utter thrashing I recently suffered in Cossacks at the hands of my better half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well my other half always beats the hell outa me at teken!
    or any fighting game!

Kinda reminda me of the time my ma played street fighter 2 in a curaclo arcade! She started panacking and hitting all the buttons and had a 4 game winning streak, twas so funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

My better half has had a go at quite a few things. She's finished Max Payne and gotten about 3/4's way through Half-Life. She's also had a bash at RTCW but gave up in frustration when she couldn't beat Helga VonBulow after a few tries.

She's also played GT2 on the PS1 a good bit and had a GBA for a while.

Unfortunately though, the fact that I usually find the games a lot easier than she does discourages her. It doesn't seem to help to explain that I've been playing PC games since Starglider (1986)...

K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I've knowen a few girl gamers in my time. some where hard core some not so.... I wouldn't call her hard core but if any of ye remember Riot Girl, She could well hold her own on the CS servers and beat the crud out of most of the guy's.... There used to be clans composed of all girls in Quake 3 and CS if I remember. Cant really remember there names (angles or something to that affect)

Add:

Just to add. I know a few girls that went to play on-line but the 10-16 year olds kept doing silly things and ended up driving the girls off the server's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah Sutty, it does seem to be a problem alright. I guess some guys just aren't mature enough to be able to interact with women in a non-brastrap pulling way.

I think it's changing though, especially thanks to boards.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

World peace and an end to war thanks to boards.ie. Talk about web pimping amp.

Originally posted by rachel
    (and no, I don't have uber short hair and a lack of boobness)

The Above statement may be true.

Childish I know but I'm bored in work.... (soz Rach)

Here's a Question for the fairer sex gamers posting. Whats your all time Fav game? and whats your least?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    World peace and an end to war thanks to boards.ie. Talk about web pimping amp.

You never know Retr0, you never know.

And I obviously don't need to pimp boards to the people reading boards. That would be preaching to the converted.

Have you any other stupid comments you'd like to make? Or shall we get back on topic?

Originally posted by amp

I think it's changing though, especially thanks to boards.ie

Trying to get another mod on a board I see

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Originally posted by sutty
    Childish I know but I'm bored in work.... (soz Rach)
    Here's a Question for the fairer sex gamers posting. Whats your all time Fav game? and whats your least?

no problem :)
    My favourites probably have to be gta 3 & 4 just because despite an incredibly short attention span, these two have managed to keep me occupied for hours. I'll also always have a soft spot for any worms game. [*sighs* ah, super banana bombs]
    Least favourite is probably anything based around world war 2 or that type of genre. My brother went through a phase of playing these and they bite (imho).

Dang.... beaten to it...

anywho, back on track. The only long term girl gamer I've knowen is Fox in Socks..... Oh great Moma in socks shine your wisdom apon us, so that we may see the light...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

My sister hasn't got past playing solitaire...even though I've tried to convince her to start playing Championship Manager, she just doesn't understand how Nikiforenko is such a good player...

I think I first started to see her as a bit of lost cause for gaming when I made her play Doom II and the first Cacodemon she came across she said "hang on, what do I press to talk to him..."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The earliest girl gamer I know is my cousin.
    We used to play Lotus 2 for ages on the Amiga600.

I've played the Sims. For about an hour or so.
    Got my house nicely done up.
    Managed to kill my dude inside the hour (4-5 game days).
    There just wasn't enough time in the day to clean the sink and the shower it seemed. Not very realistic tbh.
    A real guy would just wash in the sink aswell. Half the work.

My younger sister is starting to play all sorts of games - Startopia, CS, DoD, AvP, Q3, Worms(all - she's a big fan), lemmings, Insane and I think I got her on a bit of Operation Flashpoint at one stage.

One thing I've noticed from college is that most women prefer playing strategy games (as mentioned before), one in particular ahs bvanned herself from gaming because she got so engrossed in Age of Empires.

If women started playing more serious fps games they'd pween.
    Women naturally make better snipers - less testosterone to make their mouse hand shake.
    KGB's known this for decades.

{edit}
    My mother started off playing Solitaire, moved onto FreeCell and would probably be on Civilisation if I hadn't needed the PC for college.
    The day I get her playing Flashpoint I shall let ye all know :)
    {/edit}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Zanza

I am probably late for that, but I am going t answer anyway..

Most guys think that a girl is only for shopping and stuff, for example, in my country, girls go shopping alot, hear my country's music or my language to be specific..

But I don't!! I rather stay online 24/7 chatting, surfing and posting here and there, listening to English or Japanese music..
    I dont like to shop or do what girls do here, and my mom keeps telling me to start and act like a normal girl -.-;

Well, my point is, I don't play lots of computer games, the only ones I have are The New Tetris & Sonic The Hedgehog ^^;
    But I am close to be a nut in Playstation games, because my sister is only for studying, a bit of TV & a bit of Internet..

So I consider a freak in my family!! ^^;

[size=]Sorry if that was a long post ^^;[/size]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mostly FPS games. ATM I'm playing SOF2 online. I don't really like the game in single player, it has no imagination, very bland. You get bored of the gore after a few minutes. Multi player though it's the biggest laugh. It's the best game to hop into when you have 30 mins to kill (no pun intended).

BF1942 aswell. Didn't like it much as first because the controls/movement are very different. Play it at LANs all the time now, muchos funnos.

Yer usual AVP2, RTCW, MOHAA, etc etc. Never really liked CS too much though. Flashpoint! Myself and the bf played all the co-op missions, had a blast.

Played WC3 for a while aswell, started enjoying that. Will most likely start on the single player of that aswell soon. After I finish NOLF2 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

aye, BF1942 kicked arse.
    the predecessor, Codename Eagle, was well enjoyed for a few GalwayLANs (when it works - stupid DX6 game....stupid XP...studpid ATi...).

I never liked SOF2 too much.
    Felt detached from teh control system, like I had fish eyes or something.
    Also, the sprite-based grass was the wrong way to go.
    The enemy could see you, but not vice versa. Very frsutrating, especially in an arcade game.

startpimp(opf)
    There's plans afoot for a flashpoint lan in the new year.
    click over to the OPFlash board (under commuinities).
    Should be fun.
    endpimp(opf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I've yet to meet a girl who has failed to be lured into my room by the promise of some fierce Smash Bros-ing.

I tell a lie, yes I have. But it's worked on all the girls I have tried it on.

Mind you, that was once, she was my girlfriend, and we were headed that way anyway.

Still, a sucess is a sucess.

PHWOAAAAR! and so on.

BF 1942 is a great game, I haven't gotten to play it on a lan yet.. tryed to, but could get the craked PC's to connect to the server... ah well. I'll be trying to get a server going at UL Lan next week. I my-self as a man of the world have always give FPS games a perfrence. Doom, Wolf3d, Quake1,2,3, Half Life, HL-CS and now HL-NS.... Its so good on soooooo many levels. I've never liked racing games or football ones. I also like the Mech Warror games. Mech Warror 3 being the best imho.

*note: I'm not a girl( although some may say other wise) just thought I'd say what I likes.... thats all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I can hold my own at a lot of PS2 games, not big into PC gaming though.
    There are loads of girl gamers around though I think a lot of us aren't into Lan parties which may be why guy gamers think we don't exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Calm down amp I was only taking the piss.

Can't believe that nobody mentioned Kilkreek. She was the uber chick that kicked John Romero's ass at his own game Quake. Romero set up a shrine for her somewhere on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

My little sis is quite the gamer. Irritatingly so. I still haven't quite forgiven her for finishing Zelda 64 before me.

She is also the queen of Starcraft. Though she does have an annoying habit of mostly winning a mission and then setting up bases everywhere instead of just finishing it.

She then gathers 100 or so Ultralisks and sends them into the enemy base saying something like "Aw aren't they cute."

As an aside I was quite pleased when my girlfriend's little cousin got really into Star Wars. She was playing with Star Wars figures way more than her my little pony or whatever toss. I noticed that none of the lads had their lightsabers/blasters, so I asked her where their weapons were.

"They're in my accessories drawer."

They just fundamentally don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DapperGent
    I noticed that none of the lads had their lightsabers/blasters, so I asked her where their weapons were.

"They're in my accessories drawer."

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Advertisement