Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Patrick's Street

• 23-11-2002 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

not to worry bout the lights dave, im sure "certain folk" will make their own adjustments and additions to the structure :D

i like the lights, tho ive yet to see em operate in darkness.

as for the road/paving itself, well i think its a great idea. cork city roads are a disgrace tbh. tho i wonder how are they going to manage traffic thru the city ?

i can just imagine all the white vans thrown up ontop of the path

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

How far up the street are they going to go, does anyone know?
    Is it going to go right up to Grand Parade?
    It'll look fantastic if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

crap design, crap lights, crap all round. What a fuking disaster, it looks like Henry Street. Get some new ideas for ****s sake. Theres enough money being spent on the street and they just copy the idea from another place.

European City of Culture my ass. The lights are boring, the stone is so damned common now they might as well put down linolium. When it rains it looks terrible. It looks like the area outside the Opera house.

Get nicer stone. Get a better architect, get with the modern times. The state of new architecture in this country is criminal anyway. All derivatives of the same ****e. Fire all their asses and get some people in with class and style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Yeah, it does come across as being a bit bland and unoriginal.

They should have got the guys who designed/paved the area between the Corn Exchange and New Marks & Spencers in Manchester.

They should use more of the native rock of this county/country. Bus shelters, wooden seats and slightly nice lights don't make the main street of the 2005 European City of Culture quite the showpiece that it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭corkviewer

Whatever about the street I'm quite certain that come 2005 Cork city council will still leave the ugly wires that hold up the tatty christmas decorations for 5 weeks of the year in place all year round.

There is a slim hope that as part of their renovations of patrick street they might take down these eyesores together with the decorations in january but I have my doubts. Its the simple things that make the difference - not spending millions on stone blocks on pana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jayl

The pavements nice, nothing all that special like! Just wait till Christmas arrives when theres thousands of chewing gum remains stuck to the ground and millions of SHARE stickers making it ugly.

As for the lights, they are questionable. The pole part is a nice idea, but the lamps aren't great.

Bus stops: Look nice, but every Saturday night they will be smashed to bits!

In general, Pana was grand as it was, and this update to it is going to go out of date in 3 or 4 years, and since its taken so long to do the feckin thing I dont know if its worth it!

If you ask me, they should have pumped more money into getting the Drainage scheme done quicker so we can all keep a coolhead! As for City of Culture....our culture seems to be work, drink, assault. What will the Europeans think when they get a savage beating on a Saturday night???

Jayl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

As cool as it looks and all you really have the question the wisdom of the corporation spending ridiculous sums of money on this while the rest of the roads and footpaths in Cork are in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    As cool as it looks and all you really have the question the wisdom of the corporation spending ridiculous sums of money on this while the rest of the roads and footpaths in Cork are in bits.
    not only the roads and footpaths, but the quays and wharfs are a disgrace. weeds and trees are growwing out of the quay walls, manky old "unsafe" wharfs. while i dont neccessarliy want to see a "Lee Boardwalk" but some kind of spring clean would be nice. at least make them safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

I heard the reason we qualified for the 'European Culture Capital 2005' is cause so few other places applied for it due to knowledge of its existence being obscure. I accepted that as true since i cant see any other reason why Cork would be chosen.

As for the 'new bits'?
    Boring and ugly if ya ask me, and the rest of the city is so bloody dirty, did you ever just have a look at the cut of the bus or train station? The two main places people coming in to Cork for the first time are gonna see and they look like something that survived the nukes in Planet of the Apes.

As for those christmas decorations? FFS!!! tacky isn't the word, same things since the 80's , if a bulb breaks apparently they cant replace it since the original manufacturers of the lights closed down, and nobody is willing to pay for new decorations.
    :rolleyes:

The whole city is a dreary depressing old hole, and at night the town is flooded with drunken wha's.

( i love cork really though;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I think it looks alright. The lights r fine. Only thing is they're takening ages! Its taken them a fair long time to do just that little bit they've done so far. Again I think i will be really cool when its finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

The 'European City of Culture' made a big difference to Glasgow when they were awarded it- large scale investment for inner city areas et al. The English broadsheets have already latched onto it. The Observer had a large article last week on Cork property. Apparently Cork is 'rapidly becoming the place to be' and property prices 'are set to soar in the next 18 months'.

European City of Culture isn't that obscure outside of Ireland.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

You have to admire the effort that they put into the first quarter of the right side of Patrick St. (for those of you not in the know, that was sarcasm!)

I do like what they have done with the street, however, it's supposed to be European CITY of culture, not quarter of a street!

Correct me if, i'm wrong, I usually am, but a street does not make a city.

What else are they doing??
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

They have done 50 yards of one side of the street (I'll concede that it is a wide street though) .. but at the rate they are going it will still be under construction when Cork IS the city of culture ..

Up at dawn square they had a selection of the different natural stone that was to be put on the street .. with Cork ppl supposed to pick the one they wanted .. but it looks to me like they are using one that was not shown!.

and the latest bloody instalment of the drainage scheme is fcuking diabolical .. my wife is stuck for 10 - 15 minutes extra every day .. going in and out .. final stage me arse ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Is it me or are the drainage contractors redigging up oliver plunkett street?

If its them the whole project is a joke.

As for patrick street only time will tell.

Was walking down Winthrop St yesterday when I encountered an incredibly bad smell of, yes you guessed it, drains! Won't be long before Winthrop St will be dug up too I reckon!
    Maybe we should call the lads from Jackass in, see what they think of swimming in the Lee!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

not a fan of the lights either i think they are horrible like something someone in the eighties would have made thinkin it would still be cool in the ninties, well it isn't i think they should have come up with some new ideas aswell.

As for the bus station, did anyone else see the proposed new look for it. I think it was in the weekender last week or the examiner during the week or sth. It looks like they are knocking the whole thing down and building up a new one:( Where am i going to spend my time now, i love the bus station jacks you meet loads of cool people there.....

Yeah the Bus Station is going to look like the one in Waterford. Where are the really desperate gay guys going to cruise now if the jacks are gone or changed ?

Architecture in Cork really sucks. The new student centre in UCC looks like the Opera House (oh guess what, same architects ). The new PM building in Mahon is the same, I bet the Bus Station will be too.

Someones obviously got shares in some stone company, a glass company and some crowd that make steel/metal in shades of blue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hail2thechimp

How about that statue thing which they built by the bus station about a year ago?it looks like a joint effort by Stevie Wonder and Marilyn Manson
    How can you tell who's sane from who's insane?

There is always those jacks on the walkway just outside merchants quay, but there really small, you'd only fit two people in there( more if they weren't hard at it). im actually not sure if those jacks are still there or if they were ever there, memory is not the best since nam.... Could be a idea for a new thread ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Is the redesign of the bus station on the web anywhere? be interested to see it.

Ive only been to Cork City 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years...was born and raised there...last time was at xmas and I must say I like the idea of what they want to do with patrick street but it looked like a flippin disaster.

A great idea completely gone wrong

Originally posted by Washout

A great idea completely gone wrong

Welcome to the world of local government projects

Washout i
    cant find it anywhere on the web spent the last half hour trying, i have a picture of it here if you meet me in the bus station jacks around 10 o clock sat nite ill give it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

ROFL mooman_00... I woulodnt even go near those jacks...The most woeful public jacks in all of ireland

they're not that bad, there safe out, there is always at least two wino's sitting on the bench outside watchin over everything, making sure everything is ok. I trust them anyway, they are nice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I can see the ugliness of patrick street but i quite like the student centre in ucc.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree with you there Molly, partly!
    I like the front glass bit of the student's centre, the back of it looks like a prison! Hopefully the new restaurant/art gallery will look a bit better. It would want to for all the building they're doing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement