Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Telcos CAP on ADSL catching on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

One needs to remember that the big difference between us and USA and Australia is that our BB offerings are much more expensive.

I would not object to a reasonable cap if BB was less than €40 a month (inc. VAT). However at €90 + VAT, a cap is not reasonable, which is why Esat's offer is more reasonable that €ircon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Originally posted by DC
    One needs to remember that the big difference between us and USA and Australia is that our BB offerings are much more expensive.

I would not object to a reasonable cap if BB was less than €40 a month (inc. VAT). However at €90 + VAT, a cap is not reasonable, which is why Esat's offer is more reasonable that €ircon's.

DC, that is what concerns me. Eircom can cheerfully continue with the silly cap, citing world-wide practice, and also continue with the pricing because you're paying it already.

Any chance there was of "shaming" them out of their ways is disappearing, or at least reducing. It looks like we will be dependent on the Commission for any real action on product and pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by captainpat
    DC, that is what concerns me. Eircom can cheerfully continue with the silly cap, citing world-wide practice, and also continue with the pricing because you're paying it already.

Grrr.

Please read back on previous threads where people explain in nice easy to understand words that sometimes its cheaper to pay for DSL than any other eircom service, cap or no cap.

If noone had taken DSL eircom would have just withdrawn it saying 'no interest'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Had a look at australian broadband before as I'm going there in January for a year and was hoping to finally move out of a backward country - fairly worryingly close to what we have here though.

I found a board (not a boards.au though :P) where they referred to the incumbent network as Tel$tra (€ircon anyone?), and saw telstra's DSL & cable offerring both have download caps on them..

As others have pointed out though - caps ensure a fair service for all users .. and the price should reflect the limitations.

Telstra's DSL has a variety of download caps and speeds to choose from: prices are as follows in €

300MB cap. 256/64 speed. €33.90 per month.
    1GB cap. 512/128 speed. €43.52 per month.
    3GB cap. 512/128 speed. €53.69 per month.
    5GB cap. 1500/256 speed. €127.21 per month.
    10GB cap. 1500/256 speed. €243.15 per month.

Eircom's cheapest offerring has a 3GB cap, 512 speed and costs €108 per month (those telstra prices include their sales tax).

So you can easily see that broadband is half price in Australia (or triple the speed if you go for the next one up).

I guess this sort of system at those prices seems .. sort of viable..
    (personally I think those download caps are still way too low, but at least you would be paying half for them :))

Advertisement