Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American McGee strikes again

Options
  • 23-11-2002 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Oz

Not the "gritty realisim" of everyones not chicks in prison prison series(how can so many murder go unsolved in there?) but as in the wizard of oz.

alice was a bit pants but the ideas were great. i wonders what they can do this time around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

To say alice was a bit pants is an understatement.It was crap. He does however have some good ideas(including in alice) in oz but its just translating them into a game that is above the tripe that alice was.Bit of a wait until 2004 though.

Petes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well ive just started playing alice i had the demo along time ago and i really like the athmosphere of the game!
    The tim burton-esque soundtrack makes it worth playing alone nice grapjics for a game of its age too. Game play could be better, but its not all that bad!
    looking foward to oz, hope its just as weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

When I first saw this I'd forgotten all about the wizard of Oz and thought he was doing a game based on Oz the prison drama.

Now that would be great dealing drugs, shanking fellow inmates and hamstringing guards with extra points for making the most effeminate inmate your bitch. All rendered in stunning 3d.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

They are supposed to be making an alice film based on the fúcked up world of mr mcgee's alice. that i would really like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Actually, I'd like to sound a dissenting voice here and point out that I thought Alice was fantastic - one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played, and some of the levels and so on were inspired. The controls, particularly in combat, could have used some work (it was basically a console platformer but it falls a long way short of a lot of games in that genre in terms of control system) but the game as a whole was superb - and yes, the soundtrack was particularly noteworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And it was available on a Mac, always a good thing.
    Maybe I'm just a little wuss but Alice sometimes scared me ****less, the sound effects had something to do with it. as for the NIN soundtrack, very very cool.

Good luck to Oz, may it also come out on a Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    Game play could be better

Or, it could *exist*.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    Or, it could *exist*.

He was talking about Alice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ID guys really should give up. After spliting up they haven't made a decent game between them. Well Quake 3 was good but everything else was dire. Doom 3 looks like it'll be crap as well.

So, er, hang on...

Off the top of my head I can think of three games which were made by id and ex-id folk under that banner....

Quake3, Daikatana, Alice.

Now, you've admitted Quake3 was good. Alice is a matter of opinion - quite a few people have expressed the belief that it was superb. Daikatana, nobody's arguing with that one :)

Two out of three isn't bad at all. And your comment about Doom III sounds more like a deliberate troll than an actual opinion, so unless you're going to back it up with some fairly convincing argument, please don't make it again or I'll just delete it under the "incitement to make the moderators lives difficult" clause :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by sceptre
    He was talking about Alice.

Sorry, i was talking about the complete lack of gameplay in Alice. I thought the graphics, sound and atmosphere in general were amazing in Alice, but playing it just bored the pants off me.

*shrug* Fair enough. I enjoyed it right up to the final boss, which was pants. The whole thing could have done with more work on the controls as I said, but otherwise I thought it was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    Sorry, i was talking about the complete lack of gameplay in Alice. I thought the graphics, sound and atmosphere in general were amazing in Alice, but playing it just bored the pants off me.

My mistake entirely then.:o

And I think you're right about Alice in general - some amazing things about it but the actual gameplay wasn't what I was expecting. On a purely technical level - the look, the sounds etc (not claiming to be anywhere near an expert) the game was superb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Alice ( and its the game im playing at the monent ) for me is pure escapeism! Its so unlike any other game i have ever played. So far from reality but still with good grasphics. Game play/control could have been better but im playing it to see what happens next and how twisted it can get. Im playing it on medium and have to admit its fairlly easy and i know i will finish it soon, so im looking foward to oz and will but it the day it comes out!

Oh and on DOOM3 ive played that leaked demo and that guy hasent got a clue what he is in for when it comes out. Im telling ya its so much better than doom 1 or 2 ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Shinji
    and yes, the soundtrack was particularly noteworthy.

Soundtrack was done by Chris Vrenna, ex-NIN, Rasputina, and Tweaker.
    Check out www.tweaker.net
    It was not done by NIN, as Gordon points out.
    The soundtrack is available on CD also, which I'm trying to get ordered in.

But I thought it was a pretty damn good game myself. Sure there was very little in the way of gameplay, it was all pretty simple combat, and was rather boring. But I could've played that game on sheer atmosphere alone! Very few games come anywhere near creating such a fantastically rich atmosphere.

But I'm rather confounded by how many people didn't like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Alice bored the crap out of me and I didn't like it very much.
    I've playred the doom 3 leak and was not impressed. The AI needs major sorting out. Im feed up of id games were the bad guys do nothing except run straight at you. still it could change and the graphics are fab.
    Shinji i was just commenting that doom 3 has definitely not impressed me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I do find it odd that the AI (or lack of it) seems to crop up a lot with people bashing Doom3... why?

ID already said it will not have substantially better AI than Doom 1/2, yet the AI in the leaked Demo is massively inferior to the even the simplistic AI of the previous games. Have you not noticed that in the first map that is you walk around the back of the pillars and right up to the guys, they dont move or do anything? When you walk the "obvious" way they react and attack. How on earth could you think that is how the actual game is going to play???

Run down Doom3 for its alleged "4 monster cap" per room or the the high system requirements, but the AI??? The Leaked demo was a simply a "movie" of the games engine, they could have showed everyone a Mpeg of it, but they wanted to prove it was all rendered in realtime.

matt

PS: I thought Alice was pretty cool..

The monsters not moving is actually a bug. the other creatures just run towards you like the beserkers in quake 2. It will defo be improved in thefinished game. But by how much is the question. It will need a hell of a lot of work if its going to be any way good.

Advertisement