Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantomfm banned in Spar

Options
  • 23-11-2002 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

My Little Brother works in Spar around the Blackrock - Dunlaoighaire Area and cant stand listening to the Generic Sh1t of FM104 which is the stable Diet of Radio's living in Spar Shops so whenever he is on he flicks it down the dial to to 91.6FM.

People always come-in (adults) and ask what show or song is on cause they like it. But occasionally some find offence to RATM or something and the Franchise owner for Spars in Dublin Told him to change the station. He dully obliged but the next night he had it back on phantom and your man came in again and told him to change it.

Well now a message is up in the board the staff room dying the right to listen to phantom, disgraceful. The Middle of the road rules supposivly???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Expect no less from this city. A horrible festering pit where pimps and theives run free and good men die like dogs...

66e

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Does the radio have a tape or cd player as well? If so, get your brother to do up a compilation of dwarves, suicidal tendancies (i saw your mommy would be a good 'un), black flag, and exploited songs. Then when the manager tells him to change the station, he can put that on and tell him to shove his job up his arse...going out in a blaze of glory.

He doesn't need the job that much, right? RIGHT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

no cd player or tape just a busted old radio. What really annoys his employers is rage against the machine, maybe we could organise a rage hours on phatomfm when he is working

"you gotta take the power back"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 myles

what a great post. I'm one of those folk who walk into a spar and feel a warm, proud sensation run through my bones when I hear they've got on phantom. It's shocking what has happenned in this Blackrock - Dunlaoighaire area spar....shocking I tell you!

www.blotooth.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

How dare that shop not want its customers to be offended by the music playing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

yeah, but what kind of fuc king a sshole complains about whats being played on the radio in a fuc king shop???
    I mean what the fuc k?

your brother should piss all over the fuc kin radio and say 'nooo you change it!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

myles i must agree this is a great post....

i feckin love my job for one reason only and its cos i'm allowed play preety much whatever i want, they might be changing that soon to super valu esque music over speakers out of my control ...arggggghhhhh!!!!!!

anyway...

my personal fave is putting on
    and you will know us by the trail of dead's album with mistakes and regrets on it.... madonna (i think)

but the reason its my fave is cos we close a t 10 in the evning and if ya stick it on it at 9.25 the last song goes out on a lovely chant of

fúck you, fúck you, fúck you, fúck you, fúck you, fúck you, fúck you, fúck you, fúck you,... and more too i tells ya but its brilliant the way just as i'm pushing the last customers out they 're being told to blah blah blah as you can guess

i'm really just an angst ridden pile of turd... i know and i apologise...

i actually do like ppl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ross_k

My sister used to work in (a different) Spar, but apparently they had to turn 98fm on when Chris Barry, or whoever does it now came on the air. I don't know if it contractual, but since she mentioned it, I've noticed that in every Spar I've been in recently usually does indeed have the 98fm talk show on at night.

Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these chain stores have done a deal with local stations to be the official in-store station.

Any other shops or outlets that people have noticed that we are on in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by ross_k
    I've noticed that in every Spar I've been in recently usually does indeed have the 98fm talk show on at night.

Ross

Thats so that ****wits can feel equally at home spending their money in the shop as they do at home listening to the sort of drivel that passes for entertainment on that station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

strangely enough, me and a few friends were in THE shop with the tree. and they had 98FM or FM104 on. I cant tell the diffference, it was just tacky talk-radio. And we said, 'why do you have that on? its kinda filthy, it could offend customers, you should put on a good station like Phantom'

they laughed.

i bought a KitKat.

we went our seperate ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by ross_k
    My sister used to work in (a different) Spar, but apparently they had to turn 98fm on when Chris Barry, or whoever does it now came on the air. I don't know if it contractual, but since she mentioned it, I've noticed that in every Spar I've been in recently usually does indeed have the 98fm talk show on at night.

Ross

No contracts.
    FM104 and 98fm get played because they play pop, they have news and sport on the hour and crap like that.
    When I'm working and that Chris Barry or Adrian Kennedy crap comes on it's straight to Jazz FM, even though people want to listen to it.
    When you are working I find you dont even notice the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lanod44

a few of the bots from 2fm and 98 and the likes were moaning about phantom in hot press a few weeks ago. i reckon they're scared theyll loose their listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

a few of the bots from 2fm and 98 and the likes were moaning about phantom in hot press a few weeks ago

What did they say?
    occasionally some find offence to RATM or something

What is this strange substance?

keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

RATM = rage against the machine

Actually their not allowed have those talk shows on cause member of the public complained. I dont know but my area must have the biggest amount of moaners. The main reason they cant play phatomfm is cause the Head guy for Spar Ireland lives near by and he takes it from behind from generic fm104 & 98fm.

Mind you fm104 does have a good sunday rock show, if a bit predictable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 frank05330

ive had a lengthy and successful career in many a spar. until i was fired for screwing the dumb f**ks out of their money. but, in one place the manager would tell me that cos spar have a sponsorship with one of them big stations, i cant remember if its 98fm or fm104, they have to have that on the radio, and he couldnt change it to phantom. he would then proceed to put on liteFM.
    another spar i worked in had a cd player so it was all dandy.
    and in the last spar i worked in before becoming a full time bum, the manager told me they used to play phantom, but now the owner wouldnt let them due to some old ladies complaining about... wait for it... rage against the machine and the likes.
    now im starting to think this is a cunning ploy to get **** radio stations on in spar, because when listening to daytime phantom(which isnt often ill admit) i dont recall hearing rage against the machine all that much. only occasionally really. there's no hope for spar. unless we, the phantom generation, keep our ****ty jobs in ****ty spars, and eventually replace todays managers, then maybe we can do something about it. yes indeed.
    thats my 10euros and fourty-two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

welllllll......

its great to be able to listen to what you like in work, but at the same time you do have to consider everyone around you

i worked in an o brien for a year, and they are only allowed to play irish music if they have a cd/tape player. i used to bring in my own music when i was supervisor, and i do admit to cringing some times when id be playing songs with curses, or very weird sounding songs, as i didnt want to get into trouble, or have a complaint made about me

i also worked in one which had only a radio player, and when i was in the shop by myself, id stick on phanotm. but when everyone else came in, id stick on fm 104, or someting like that, because in fairness, most people who worked there listened to those stations. its be unfair to ask all of them to put up with my music, as theyd all be having to lsiten to something they dont like, wheras if fm 104 was on, only i would be not listening to what i really wanted

at the same time-its no big deal, you dont really notice it when youre working, or at least i didnt

but i do think that it is lovely when you hear phantom being played in yer local spar, they play it in mine....*yay*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lanod44

quote:
    a few of the bots from 2fm and 98 and the likes were moaning about phantom in hot press a few weeks ago

What did they say?

They were saying that any band that let themselves be played on phantom were not going to be popular with the "commercial" DJs, an so they would get little air play on the bigger stations.
    I think thats bull **** cause the 98s and 104s dont play alternative stuff anyway.

:cool:

Advertisement