Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Toasties!

• 23-11-2002 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Being the lazy type most evenings when I get home from work, I can rarely be bothered making myself a three course meal and have recently reverted back to my old student habits of living on toasted sandwiches at least 4 days of the week. My current favourite is loosely based on one they make in a cafe I worked in. It consists of:

One slice of bread smeared with lots of mayo.
    One slice of bread smeared with lots of Ballymaloe jalepeno relish.
    Pre-cooked chicken pieces.
    Large chunks of extra mature cheddar.
    Some chopped onions and a sprinkle of garlic chips and black pepper.

Always on the look out for new ideas... what do you put in your toasties?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gosh I didn't know that toasties could be so interesting, it makes me want to go out and buy a toastie maker.

The only things I hate in a toastie are tomatoes really as they seem like molten lava when you bite into them (hot).

I just like a nice cheese toastie tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i dont go for that fancy stuff
    chedder cheese and ham all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cheese and ham - the business.

I've occasionally started adding chicken pieces when i have some left over.

Now I'm back in college and feel incredibly lazy in the mornings (as opposed to before, when I just went back to bed) I've started microwaving rashers and putting them in with my cheese instead in the mornings. 1min 30, then turn the rasher over, another minute. Then place in sandwich with cheese. No more washing frying pan/grill and I get to eat in the morning.

Why not try an egg (fried) in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Chedder, bah.

Get some really thin bacon and lightly cook it.
    Now get some good cheese like gouda or edam and grate it.

throw the bacon and grated cheese onto your bread and throw under the grill untill the bacon has gone crispy(this is where the cookedness of the bacon comes in over cook the bacon and its like glass before the cheese melts and under cook it and the cheese burns before the bacon goes crispy).

When it reaches this stage throw some brown sauce over and cover with another slice and toast both sides until done.

Oh man i wants one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by Gordon
    Gosh I didn't know that toasties could be so interesting, it makes me want to go out and buy a toastie maker.

dont hesitate, you can get toasted sangich makers from about €20 to €30, i lived on the damn things over the summer, mostly just cheese and onion tho....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm after drooling all over my keyboard :D Kolodny that has to be the most gorgous sounding toasty ever.

Only thing is though those toast maker thingy's are a bitch to clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

Using a sandwich toaster , crack and egg onto the bread put in some chopped up (cooked) rashers and sausages add next slice off bread and then cook till golden brown by which time the egg will be done ..... mmmmmm breakfast roll ...er sandwich type thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ah man darth homer that sounds sooooo good
    *drools*
    ive got to go try that sometime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

usually a ham and cheese man here but at christmas theres usually more 'materials' around - cold cooked turkey, ham, cheese and most importantly stuffing

om nyom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Apparently Bacon Fries are really nice toasted on bread.

Yes, Bacon Fries, the pub snacks.

I haven't tried this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

venison and cheese. or tuna and cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    Using a sandwich toaster , crack and egg onto the bread put in some chopped up (cooked) rashers and sausages add next slice off bread and then cook till golden brown by which time the egg will be done ..... mmmmmm breakfast roll ...er sandwich type thing !

Nyom! Will definitely try this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

this is my preference :

cheese
    tomato
    mushrooms
    chillis
    and the piece de resistance BBQ sauce

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Ok, just discovered a new one. Sounds a bit strange but tastes really good:

A few slices of brie, A few slices of salami and a thin layer of cranberry sauce on each slice of bread (white bread only or it goes really soggy). Chuck a bit of crunchy lettuce in after you've toasted it. Nicer than it sounds, really. If you've ever had deep fried brie with the cranberry sauce and salad on the side as a starter in a restaurant you'll know what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Mine is

Cheese Morrzirella, Tomatos, Mushrooms, Onions, Red Peppers plenty of salt and absolutely loads of italian herb seasoning....usually used for pizzas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

mmmmmm just had a cheese and pickle toastie it was scrummy.............

Advertisement