Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust

Options
  • 23-11-2002 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I was wondering are my doing any damage to me 1L 106 by not having an exhaust .Fell off going through the town. as i don't intend to get it fixed for a couple of weeks . Also i was told that it burns more petrol without an exhaust, can't see how that happens tho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Won't do any harm.... 'cept of course to your ears!! Buy some ear muffs! As for not fixing it for a coupla weeks ye should probably make sure there aren't penalty against it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

just be careful of the fumes from the exhaust getting into the car as they will be leaking somewhere out under the car and could get in when ur stopped in traffic, not good....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Its bad enuff with an exhaust with a hole in it but when one is gone completely theres a few things too it...Fumes is a big problem and as was said theres a good chance if your stopped in traffic of them getting in and doing damage to you, the environment and ppl around. Then you have the burning of a lot more fuel which does happen and the loss of power, but this won't really be noticeable in a 1L, the noise is annoying as hell too!

get it fixed soon and give the neighbours a bit of P & Q!!!...hehe

Farlz

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Farls
    Then you have the burning of a lot more fuel which does happen and the loss of power, but this won't really be noticeable in a 1L, the noise is annoying as hell too!

get it fixed soon and give the neighbours a bit of P & Q!!!...hehe

Farlz

Have to disagree there Farls.There is not usually a "NOTICABLE" increase in fuel consumption or loss of power.It could only be detected with an emission test and would usually only show up as 1% or less.As for loss power-it can actually have the opposite effect by giving a power gain.Why do boy racers fit big-bore exhaust systems and why do these systems claim "x" bhp extra??Its because the "fumes" etc are getting through the engine quicker from ignition to exhaust allowing for increased effiency.
    If you were to lose a back box "ONLY" then there would be no difference.
    In an ideal situation the exhaust of a car would be a straight-through type with no "boxes" on the exhaust at all.
    Reason that there is boxes on exhaust systems is mainly to keep a car quiet-hence the American term "silencers"
    The only other effect from no exhaust is Carbon Monoxide poisoning from the fumes drifting into the car from below.
    As Ive said this is not always the case but is more likely than not.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I think you can get done for having a fautly exhaust (points system:mad: )?

I think you can damage the engine, namely the valves..(eventually), something to do with back pressure on the engine + it will also overheat slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i remember years ago the exhaust fell off my mothers auld kadett, came off right at the manifold.

Man it was sooo cool, my father drove it for the weekend and it was just hillarious, total rally styleee fun

run with it for a bit,

and smile

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

The only way that the valves would get burned is if the exhaust fell off right next to the manufold.

When you release the trottle, the cold (oxygen) rushes into the head and helps burn off any excess fuel thats coming out the exhaust thus burning the valve seats... also u might see a flame coming out, nice thing to be happening under the bonnet :p

Also if the car has fuel injection (most have) you would get the wrong ratio of gases coming out the exhaust past the lamda sensor (sensor on the exhaust pipe). The fuel management doesn't know how to deal with this, calculating that the exhaust is too lean and possibly compensates with more fuel....

my 2 cent...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I am thinking of getting it fixed but i will have to get new brake disks before i can afford that. I haven't relly noticed the fumes unless i have it in the one place for too long and i open the door. The noise is getting a wee bit annoying as i have to find the cose for me radio so no music to drown out the sound.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Babyeater Pm with the make/model/year/cc
    of the car and Ill see if I can get you a good price on the discs/exhaust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

You can get stopped and fined for that, either because of fumes/smoke or noise pollution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by BabyEater
    I am thinking of getting it fixed but i will have to get new brake disks before i can afford that. I haven't relly noticed the fumes unless i have it in the one place for too long and i open the door. The noise is getting a wee bit annoying as i have to find the cose for me radio so no music to drown out the sound.

Get a loan/overdraft and get the car fixed.

Advertisement