Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Graphics card for PCI slot

• 24-11-2002 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me of which graphics card I should buy from these ?
    There is only seven I know but maybe someone out there has bought one of them and could tell me if they were happy with it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I would go with the GF4 420 cause of its price and performance compared to the others.

You can easily overclock the ram to 180mhz with no cooling for a big performace boost.

I can get 200mhz with an ISA fan card Blowing straight on it.

Of course mine was a GF2 but they are pretty similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Lukin, i think there is a new gf4 mx420 for sale on the FOR SALE boards.
    Think Air is selling it for €70.
    Good price, look back about a week on those boards, and ull find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

He wants a PCI card, the ones being sold are AGP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

To be honest, these questions should be asked on the technology forum first! I've moved this thread over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

Sorry 'bout that Regi, an unintentional error.
    It's hard to know exactly what should go where sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i think the best pci card you are likly to get is a tnt 2.

I know the first gen geforce 1 cards were both pci and agp but the pci versions are hard to come by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

TNT2 - ancient forget it.
    3D Prophet 4000XT- ancient forget it.
    GF2MX - don't buy the 2D quality is terrible.

G450 crystal 2d. 3D is rubbish though. Do not buy if you play games. Bit pricy considering I got an AGP one for £30.

GF4 MX420 - decent all rounder. 2D is good, 3D is just ok. Good drivers so you should have no problems in games or 3D applications etc.

Radeon 9000 Pro- 2D is great. best performance in 3D of all the PCI cards but still not near a decent AGP card. There can be issues with drivers in some games and 3D applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Lurkin TBH your best option is change your motherboard for one with an AGP slot (if your into gaming). The samething happened to a mate of mine (bought a second hand dell not realising there was no AGP slot). He paid a fortune for a Radeon card and it was a pile of sh*t (wouldnt play loads of games and when it did graphics were poor). He ended loosing loads on the card and had to buy a new motherboard.

Hes right you know. What kind of machine is it? You might be better bringing it into a PC shop and let them switch it over to a new motherboard with an AGP slot and buy something like a GF4ti4200 to put in it. You can move all the rest of the hardware in your PC over to the new motherboard. The graphics will me vastly better than any PCI solution you'll be able to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

Christ lads, d'ye think I'm made of money!?
    Changing the mobo' is a non-starter, can't afford it.
    I don't play games on my PC, I just want a basic T.V. card to transfer some VHS tapes to DVD.

• Advertisement

Then forget this rubbish and get a proper "analogue in" card. Something like an old ATI Radeon All in Wonder Card. Give me a mail directly as I know somewhere thats selling them in the UK (£20 sterling) and as I want one aswell maybe we can split the postage.

Advertisement