Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cookies Question

• 24-11-2002 3:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

while in the pub tonigh tme and a friend were havin a chat and the question arose

what does the index.dat in the cookies folder do ?

i said nutn he seems to think there is a purpose.
    who is right ?
    and what does it do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The index.dat file keeps a list of every URL ever visited on the PC as well as date and time stamps and pointers to the cached files or cookie files. It also keeps a nice list of every email sent or received in Outlook/Outlook Express. So it's a file that grows and grows over time.

According to Microsoft, the index.dat files (there are a few - usually 4 or more) are used to cache visited web sites to help speed up the loading of the pages in IE - which isn't much of a help at all if like a nice PC housekeeper a user deletes the files in temp internet files every once in a while.

I delete the index.dat files every once in a while as well.

So it has a purpose, albeit one that I wouldn't say is very useful.
    (if it really had no purpose they probably wouldn't have bothered putting it in - even the autoexec files can have a purpose under NT/2000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

cheers

guess he was right then damn it

dont you sleep sceptre ?

once again thanx

Advertisement