Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book - Film Wishlist.

Options
  • 24-11-2002 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

What book would you like to see as a film (I can't promise you that it'll happen now, just remember that and don't get your hopes up).

Although I haven't really read much - Terry Pratchetts books would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

"The Mind Game"

With Leonardo deCaprio having the lead role.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", which w'd blow Hornblower out of the water any day.
    Failling that, Niven's Ringworld - just for the CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Post apocalyptic wondrous scif-fi goodness.

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Hard scifi of the bestest kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Post apocalyptic wondrous scif-fi goodness

Hand it over to the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex team when they're finished the current TV series. I'd love to see what they did with it :)

I'd like to see someone make a really good adaptation of the Narnia books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

powder (can't remember the authors name)

dead famous by ben elton

magician by raymond e. feist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chronicles of thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, is he mad, is he not, the supsens and action could keep ya going for hours. Or maybe three films...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BattleField Earth - by L. Ron Hubbard.
    (Done properly (before you inundate me with replies) and not including John Travolta).

Some of the Ender series would make compelling watching too (Orson Scott Card)

Some of the Jeffrey Deaver novels - (probably in the works anyway), e.g.: Devil's Teardrop, Maiden's Grave.

I'd like to see the LOTR team produce 'The Hobbit' - just cant get enough of a good thing!

Finally, the LOTR team producing some of David Gemmel's epic fantasies - that'd be cool...

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Some of the Ender series would make compelling watching too (Orson Scott Card)
    I'd love to see a film version of Enders Game but I think the young age of the protagonists (mostly sub-12) mitigates against it. That kinda leaves an animated version which wouldn't half bad either, the first two thirds of the book (Battle school) is just movie gold.

But I reckon the latter bit with them all supposedly just mucking about in simulators would be a tough to make compelling.

BattleField Earth - by L. Ron Hubbard.
    (Done properly (before you inundate me with replies) and not including John Travolta).
    No more screen time for the father of ****ing scientology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i love to see christopher brookmyre one fine day in the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

artemis fowl is a good one

mario puzio's - omerta, from the creator of the godfather!!

more of brian herbert's dune!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dappergent:No more screen time for the father of ****ing scientology.

L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology Sect = Bad
    L. Ron Hubbard's Science fiction (written to fund his scientology sect!) = Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Actually - one of the big Japanese studios is putting together an anime series of Battlefield Earth, according to last months Newtype USA.... Should be an interesting one if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think that the Cu Chulainn stories could make a good film if Spielberg or one of the guys got their hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some of the Jeffrey Deaver novels - (probably in the works anyway), e.g.: Devil's Teardrop, Maiden's Grave.
    Don't forget The Coffin Dancer.

Other 'thrillers' I'd like to see are more James Patterson books (Pop Goes The Weasel, Jack and Jill, Roses are Red, Violets are Blue etc.). But jesus, don't let Lee Tamahori/Marc Moss near them - they MANGLED 'Along Came A Spider').

Some of Matthew Reilly's books (Temple, Ice Station, Area 7) - mindless and derivative, but fun!

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (Is this already in the works?)

Glen Meade's Resurrection Day (probably a bit close to the bone after 9/11).

I'd also love to see Feist's original Riftwar trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn, Sethanon).

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Definitely some of matt reilly's stuff,
    fair enough the plots are pretty thin but the action would be non-stop! ice station is one of my favourite books of all-time!

Originally posted by TmB

Glen Meade's Resurrection Day (probably a bit close to the bone after 9/11).

I'd also love to see Feist's original Riftwar trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn, Sethanon).

- Dave.
    I think that Resurrection Day has already beened optioned, scripted, stars attached etc. before Sept 11 they'll deffo be going ahead when the studio reckons they can get away with it.

Magician, yes, good. Silvethorn, Sethanon? Get thee behind me Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by DapperGent
    I think that Resurrection Day has already beened optioned, scripted, stars attached etc. before Sept 11 they'll deffo be going ahead when the studio reckons they can get away with it.
    With some plot changes (unless they get Bin Laden beforehand) .... an Al Queda cell in Washington threatening to kill hundreds of thousands with a chemical weapon, while their boss hides out in the caves in Quandahar? Not gonna happen! They'll probably change it to some generic middle eastern terrorists or something.....
    Magician, yes, good. Silvethorn, Sethanon? Get thee behind me Satan.
    They weren't THAT bad. :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Finally, the LOTR team producing some of David Gemmel's epic fantasies - that'd be cool...

Waylander

With the right actor taking the lead role, it would be very very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I liked the idea of 'Magician' by Raymond E. Feist. Even better though, would be the shannara series by Terry Brooks. He sold the rights to it a while ago, but when he say the way the studio were mucking it up, he bought them right back. thats credibility for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yeah magician would be brilliant with someone for pug hmmmmm who coudl that be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Neuromancer done by the Ghost in the shell peeps would rock. This is in preproduction hell too. Make an anime of it !

Movie of Cryptonomicon or a TV series. I really enjoyed the Bobby Shaftoe bits in it. Those alone would make a good show.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    I'd love to see a film version of Enders Game

Its in preproduction hell, but it seems that it will get there eventually, Card wants a proper version of it. I'd love to see this movie.

I'd like to see the LOTR team produce 'The Hobbit' - just cant get enough of a good thing!

Jackson has the option to make it and might do, but he has a few other smaller projects to do first.

artemis fowl is a good one

Indeed it is.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (Is this already in the works?)

Screenplay is being written right now !

Advertisement