Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I'm From Limerick!"

Options
  • 24-11-2002 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has gone to the Omniplex in the last couple of weeks will have seen this 'ad' on before every movie. I've been to the cinema 3 times since the ad started and I'm completely sick of it.

For those who haven't seen it, its a montage of 'famous' limerick people saying "I'm from Limerick" over and over again (with the Cranberries 'Dreams' in the background). Now I'm all for promoting Limerick, but how long do we have to put up with this crap?

It has just pipped the Vodafone Beatbox as the most annoying, cringeworthy ad in the cinema. Alot of the people in the ad looked so uncomfortable in front of the camera, you'd almost feel sorry for them.

Oh, and there is a rapidly scrolling credits sequence at the end which will induce epilepsy, nausea, or both.

I was at the late show of James Bond last night (11:30), and between the ads (more than usual, in my opinion), the Limerick ad (which is 4 or 5 mins long) and the 11850 Danno ad (God almighty, all marketing people - kill yourselves now), the movie didn't start until after 11:50.

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It was on before Harry Potter when I went last week. Went to the shop so I must have missed the first few minutes (didn't realise it was that long). GF was laughing herself into a frenzy when I arrived in.

Strangely enough, not all of those people are actually "from Limerick" either.

Don't get me started on the annoying Danno. He looks like the kind of chap I wouldn't let into any place I was running (odd though - you always see a few people turning off their phones after that advert so I suppose it's a relatively small price to pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wonder if Danno is another Limerick-only phenomenon, or is he countrywide?

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Who's in the ad?

All I can think of is...

Richard Harris (RIP), Delores & The Cranberries, Terry Wogan and Frank McCourt.

Limerick Leader ran a story on it last week - mentions a few of the people in it.

Can't get too caustic about it - herself keeps reminding me that I'm from Cork (hardly a hotspot of culture either but at least they don't make films featuring birds from Louis Walsh bands)

Seeing as this is a rant about cinema ads, how about some of the the other gems that are currently showing?

There is the one with that smug Nico bast*rd. I admire (and encourage) the sentiment, but I just want to punch that poloneck-wearing muppet....

Then there is the one with the boybands and girlbands saying "just say no" to ciggies..... Seeing them say no would want to make me take it up (just to piss them off).

Then there the Vodafone beatbox ad. No further comment required. There is a universal hatred for that ad.

And how about the Grace-Fellowship ads? Just call JC!

And the Red Bull ad with the floppy tits?

There is a small handful of good ads, though. The WKD ad in Spain (with the maid), and the "Carlsberg don't do nightclubs...." ad.....

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

My housemate is actually in the video, near the start, the two soccer guys, hes the small guy.
    I've seen the ad loadsa times cause hes got it on video, and i have to say that i think its one of the best ads i've evr seen. That piece when the bull and and paul o'connelll pass the ball out to the claw, is amazing to say the least, but my favourite has to be be the guy from lyric fm at the end: -
    "Good Morning.... you know... i'm from limerick!!"

I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or if you're deadly serious, thebhoy...... I'm kinda leaning towards sarcasm. :)

- Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Celt

Hey, I'm in that video so don't be slagging it off, it's actually been short listed for an oscar in the catogary "the best add to promote limerick in the past 12 months"

Judging by your awful spelling, I'm guessing that you are the kid in the classroom who leers into the camera? :rolleyes:

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Celt

screw you, your just jealous

• Advertisement

Uh huh, yep. Thats it. I'm jealous.

Seriously, where are you in it?

- Dave.

I've seen it 5 times now.

I've realised what its for. The Omniplex are using to drive up takings for the shop (people actually leave the room when its on - I saw that happening last night)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

I went to see changing lanes in the omniplex last week and no one told me the screen was almost on the ceiling with a blue light underneath that showed the fire exit, I thought I was at home watching sky with a logo!! Also the movie started in 16:9 but was actually 4:3, after 5 mins somone complained and the projectionist changed it to correct format but had to come into the cinema to check it!

Then a perons mobile went off during the screening and the PERSON answered it!!!

But before all that I saw the ad "I'm from Limerick" Thought it very strange to be sitting in a cinema in Limerick to be told by lots of people that they were from Limerick!! I think they have mixed up the ones that say I am from, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Tipperary, maybe Kerry and so on and are uisng the Limerick one but havent noticed. However, I want to know where I can get the video so I can send to Boston but I want it in NSTC?? Anyone help?

gb---

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    However, I want to know where I can get the video so I can send to Boston but I want it in NSTC?? Anyone help?

The Leader link I posted above mentions
    Limited copies of the film are available in the Limerick Co-Ordination Office for E5

Now I don't know where that is but perhaps someone does (may be down at that pink and concrete city hall, everything else seems to be). Doubt they have it available in NTSC format but might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

if he really does want it, ntsc-pal doesn't really matter on most new tvs or vcrs.
    they are usually compatible for both, though make sure first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Originally posted by thebhoy
    My housemate is actually in the video, near the start, the two soccer guys, hes the small guy.
    I've seen the ad loadsa times cause hes got it on video, and i have to say that i think its one of the best ads i've evr seen. That piece when the bull and and paul o'connelll pass the ball out to the claw, is amazing to say the least, but my favourite has to be be the guy from lyric fm at the end: -
    "Good Morning.... you know... i'm from limerick!!"

O Jaysus pity you to be living with lets just call him A.R.!!!!
    and from what I've heard its not a case of the small jockey with the big whip by him...:D

They were supposed to stop showing it after xmas, but it was on again over the weekend....

I've seen it 14 times now. And I used to like that Cranberries song!

- Dave.

Advertisement