Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redhat 80 linux with ADSL

Options
  • 24-11-2002 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got ADSL working with Redhat 80 using eircom usb modem zyxel P630 11 I have windows 2000 at the moment sharing internet connection and would like to convert to Redhat linux using squid for the internet sharing
    thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Rambo
    Has anybody got ADSL working with Redhat 80 using eircom usb modem zyxel P630
    Not I, but it should be very easy since you're using the ethernet bridging modem - it ships with all the software necessary to get it done, including a PPPoE client.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by longword
    Not I, but it should be very easy since you're using the ethernet bridging modem...

He's using the USB modem.
    I haven't really seen any Linux drivers for that modem, all I've seen is one site that's apparently working on drivers for it, but it's in Italian so I don't know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    He's using the USB modem.
    I haven't really seen any Linux drivers for that modem, all I've seen is one site that's apparently working on drivers for it, but it's in Italian so I don't know for sure.
    Oops. I saw 'Zyxel' and assumed ethernet - last I heard, Eircom were using Alcatel Speedtouch for the USB modem and a Zyxel model for the ethernet option.

These boys in France claim to have a driver that works for the Prestige 630-11 but expect an uphill struggle. I don't know about this particular modem, but most of the USB and PCI modems seem to present themselves as ATM devices. On RedHat 7.3 and before you've got to mess with your kernel and compile up userspace ATM support. All that's done for you with RedHat 8.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I can't understand what all the fuss is about.

I don't know what €ircon are up to, but Esat provide you with the following....
    Ericsson HM230dp is a router with firewall that can be configured as a bridge. It has one 10/100 Mbps Ethernet interface and one USB-port for connection to one or more computers. Configuration is made via an internal web-server. The HM230dp can be configured as a router with address translation to allow connection of several computers to one IP-address.

Absolutely no drivers required if you've got an ethernet card. Just plug it in and you are on the network. Setup ip address and gateway and you're off.

What are €ircon offering in terms of ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by DC

Zyxel or Alcatel modems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by DC
    I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch 'Home' modem. Works well with the rp-pppoe package. There are sites which explain how to convert this into a 'Pro' model which means it can act as a router but I get the impression that the only client supported within the modem is PPPoATM as opposed to PPPoE.

Advertisement