Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who agrees that IrelandOFFline have almost won the "Campaign?

Options
  • 25-11-2002 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I believe that IOFFL [IrelandOFFline] to the unitiated!.

Have almost achieved their stated aims and objectives, they are also - certainly winning - the propaganda war in the media? and for a voluntary non-profit organisation this is no mean achievement.

Who agrees?

paddy20;) "Three cheers for the Committee members past and present and of course - the Chairman, whom I will not name in my posting because if you do not know his name by now??;) ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yeah? theyre, great - - I agree with paddy20 I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The war is not over. Its only partially won. I know this cos I'm connected at 45.5 kbs not 512.

Paddy20 are you per chance, Austrailian. Nothing else can account for your use of question marks. (all those inflections)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Mike65,

Quote: "its only partially won." I will take that as an "almost won" as per the title of my thread?

Sorry, Not Australian - but a Paddy by birth and name and I am not here for an education in the use of "English" diction which is not even my Mother tongue.

The issue being dealt with in this forum is of much more importance!.

Best wishes.

paddy20;)

aka:- Paddy McLean, Ballybofey, County Donegal, Ireland.:D

More people than just the English or English speakers use question marks, quotation marks, commas, hyphens, etc. and use them correctly, Paddy.

I'm sorry about the smartarse nature of my last post, but I'd suggest that if you did use correct punctuation you might find that you get your point across to more people as it would make your postings easier to read.

Also, while I'm sure the committee appreciate the praise, I'm also fairly sure that they'll agree with me that there is little point to a thread like this. They're not exactly in the habit of patting themselves on the back.

Bard,

With respect, self praise is little praise indeed.
    If it is not forthcoming from within our membership/ranks, then from whence or where shall it come, may I ask.

I was also in the main referring to the campaign as a whole which includes members, committees, chairpersons etc etc including even Boards.ie & even moderators. As for the side issue - I never claimed to be proficient in the proper use of English quotation marks etc.etc. As I am far from perfect in many respects and always amongst the first to acknowledge same.

I also believe that there is a need and a "point" for a thread like this. Let the members decide by responding or not?

Kind regards.

Yours,

paddy20:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I disagree, the battle is not nearly one at all. There is a long hard campaign yet to be fought. Friaco is still not here, cheap broadband is not here, the ODTR is not regulating properly, the government is only slowing getting the message, the telcos still feel they can do whatever they want and screw over the general population.

The general population are not IrelandOffline aware yet. They are also not educated about that should be available to them. People are not aware of how cheap broadband is or that always on access for a flat fee can actually happen if its pushed for.

The IrelandOffline committee are doing well and hopefully after the IRC session that happened recently more will be done. There seems to be some stuff on the way and I hope this happens soon.

Yellum,

Even though you disagree. Very many thanks for a constructive and appropriate posting.

Regards.

Yours,

paddy20:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

long way to go - the main cities may have broadband etc. but until full llu and competition is available then we are nowhere near winning, public and media awareness has been raised but until we can choose in donegal between a number of suppliers then we need to carry on i.e. i want uncapped esat not capped eircom (note derry you can choose between 3 or so broadband suppliers)
    a lot done more to do (now where have i heard that before ????????????)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope no where near won, yes the noises are great but thats all they are. Until we have FRIACO and affordable broadband at prices our European neighbours and competitors enjoy then the campaign is far from won.

A couple of battles have been won but the war still goes on!!

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

good thread except for the english sidetrack...anyway

1. nope it aint over till the fat lady can connect at 512 anywhere in the country for 30- 40 euro

2. the government still cannot get investment in the fibre rings from outside companies at anything like the amount they need and therefore i think our message and answer is there....they are only investing in main centres and screwing everyone else. So to people like you Paddy and me in the arse end of wicklow -- the answer is clear -- go feck yerself...and wait and you will do with what you have.

3. do we need a congratulations -- YES WE DO and big bravo for the team who pushed and pushed particularly in the dark days.

4. lets not stop -- we have a momentum -- lets keep the pressure on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

..but sure, its looking good so far!

Thanks to you all at IrlOFFLine! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Can't say I agree really. The fact is we've no FRIACO diall-up and, more importantly, no affordable broadband. All the same, there have been some improvements and IOFFL is becoming a vocal lobby group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

"A Lot Done, More To Do "

to paraphrase the Warriors of Destinys' election campaign slogan

"A lot of bribes taken, a lot more still to take"
    the main cities may have broadband etc

I live in Stillorgan Co Dublin and no broadband of any flavour is currently available, might as well be in the back-end of Mayo and I live within spitting distance of Sandyford Industrial Estate where Vodafone, Siemens, Microsoft etc have their Irish headquaters

But getting back to the bribes thing did anyone see Frank Fitzgibbon on Agenda on TV3 yesterday? Made a very good point; corrupt planning = bad planning = crap infrastructure

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by pork99
    I live in Stillorgan Co Dublin and no broadband of any flavour is currently available

Have you not tried Irish Broadband? Or did you fail the LOS test?

Have you not tried Irish Broadband? Or did you fail the LOS test?

yes, failed it, me and all the others!

I believe that IBB had so many LOS failures around Stillorgan - Blackrock that they have suspended LOS tests until they can set up new transmitter sites

Its unfortunate, if Gov.ie and the ODTR had any cop-on they would be facilitating wireless bb as an effective means of providing some much needed competition and overcoming the infrastructural deficits eircom have left us with

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I think IOFFL has done a great job in that the committee have been very active in meeting Ministers and representing IOFFL members on the radio and in magazine/Paper/online articles.
    And I'm almost certain that a far greater number of the general public (And still growing) are now aware of the dire straight's our government/ODTR and our incumbent operator have Ireland in i.e. On the bottom rung of the broadband ladder
    As for almost achieving IOFFL's stated aims and objectives.... not so fast. As has been mentioned already
    -No FRICAO (Vital to development of the Internet in Ireland)
    -No Affordable Broadband (Most expensive in Europe if not the world)
    - We are still waiting on Complete Local Loop Unbundling by Eircon at a responsible wholesale rate.
    IMO The beginning of 2003 will be when IOFFL really starts kicking Ass if things dont start to shape up and hopefully we'll see a proper flatrate by jan/feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Repeating others hear but broadband :

ain't all over ireland yet
    ain't nearly cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Gah, im paying the price for a misjudged comment a few weeks ago now :(

Please leave personal attacks on people out of the thread.

Anyway, roaring back on topic, the war wont be won untill those 3 objectives have been achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

less of the childish nit picking intellectual battles lads paddy is being positive!this isint the place to fight battles that were won or lost at school when u were 5 and top of the class at grammar or spelling!!!! we are all human and sometimes its best to fight the urge and be less smart and more friendly or else people will be afraid to express themselves and that cant be a good thing ?
    i also like the use of rhetorical question marks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Well done Paddy. There appears to have been a lot of IOFFL self analysis recently and we are in danger of loosing sight of the real targets and the real achivements. We have had a number of notable acomplishments in the recent past. And the organisation has achieved acceptance and even more importantly access to the decision makers.

I had a very personal eircom.net "experience" today which makes me want to garotte each and every one of the 7 million wasters working there. But I won't. Not yet. But boy oh boy will i savour the day. AND ITS ON THE WAY!!

Hats off to the committee, have a well deserved rest, mr. chariman, and lets all get ready for one massive heave-ho in 2003.

• Advertisement

De Rebel,

Many thanks, you have certainly grasped the true meaning/spirit of my thread.

Just hope more members/supporters? will do the same!.

Merry Xmas.

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Puca

IOFL is a worthy discussion pressure group, but one thing that has to be looked out for and stopped is the amount of moaners and psychos who pots pure rubbish not backed up with fact or proofm, but are just here to man about anyything and everything, If that isnt stopped then IOFL will become a joke not taken seriously by the decision makers

IOFL is a worthy discussion pressure group, but one thing that has to be looked out for and stopped is the amount of moaners and psychos who pots pure rubbish not backed up with fact or proofm, but are just here to man about anyything and everything, If that isnt stopped then IOFL will become a joke not taken seriously by the decision makers

I think you are getting confused between the IOFFL commitee and contributers to this forum. The commitee are representing us to the govt. the ODTR, the media etc and are doing a great job. They are the ones who need to be diplomatic, "media friendly" etc, I could not do what they do, I would be too blunt.

This is a forum for free expression, if you see your country is being mismanaged by greedy, ignorant muck-savages then damned right you bitch about it, "the first duty of a patriot is to be rude about his country" as the man said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Things are better than they were for people who use 56k / 64k with the new package deals from EsatBT / UTV

However, the progress towards broadband is sluggish at best. The prices are of course ludicrous.

I think i remmber Paddy saying that all he really wanted was good cheap 56k access. Thats not what im looking for!

We're half way there IMO

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Things are better than they were for people who use 56k / 64k with the new package deals from EsatBT / UTV

Does anyone not remember the old No Limits which we all had ? It was a full step back and a half step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Im new to this BBS, but out of interest, what have ye achieved guys? Is there anywhere all this info have been collected? The best options for different areas etc...

Any info, from users of Leap?

Originally posted by yellum
    Does anyone not remember the old No Limits which we all had ? It was a full step back and a half step forward.

Yeah, I still use IOL NoLimits at home... but have i-stream DSL in work and like many many others, as soon as it's affordable - or (yeah right!) comparable in price to the UK, I'll sign up for it at home too.

delop - if you haven't done so already, I suggest you take a browse through the very in-depth and informative IrelandOFFLine web site at www.irelandoffline.org

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by yellum

I wasn't really talking about that far back!

All those lucky people that didnt get kicked from No limits raise your hand :D

:D

/me raises hand with Black Panther style grip

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been using Leap at home for 6 months.

It rocks.

To see more about it, search this forum for post by me on it.

With regard to the topic: no, theres a lot more to do. We cant just stop when a few of us have broadband.

FRIACO and decent broadband at a decent price.

Effectively IOFFL are the industry watchdogs and regulators since our ODTR are gummy powerless wets.
    I dont mean that personally but I've said before and I'll say again that if Etain Doyle doesnt have the power to do her job she should RESIGN so as to put the lie to the idea that we have an effective regulatory body...

IOFFL have just started imho. But its a good start!

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement