Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who agrees that IrelandOFFline have almost won the "Campaign?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Praetorian,

Yes, a long time ago I did state that all I was looking for was a fairly priced **Unmetered flat-rate Internet access service.

You see, I believe that you must be allowed to learn to walk before running. IMHO UTVip have now rattled the cosy anti- competitive structure that existed in the Republic for much too long, with their *OFFpeak flat-rate packages and I beleve they deserve a medal for throwing a rock in the pond of apathy that existed.

Also, lets not forget that UTVip was introduced here very shortly after our Chairman had a meeting with their Directors? The real benefits of the "vountary" work of all at IOFFL are yet to be fully reaped and we may not have very long to wait, even for a decent **Broadband offering.

Happy Xmas.

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

UTV were planning this for a long time Paddy20. Its clear to see these people are clever and have done lots and lots of research including lurking here for ages. I somehow doubt a meeting with IOFFL one day inspired them to roll out a project like this so quickly.

Paddy20 take off those glasses, they have a rose tint to them. Its still going to be a long hard slog where everyone has to contribute to win ourselves FRIACO and cheap broadband.

Yellum,

How the heck did you know that I wore glasses? bye the way the meeting that IOFFL certainly did NO HARM as action speaks louder than words and I personally believe that IOFFL are very much **Pro-active inall respects.

As I am an eternal optimist who believes it is possible too achieve the seemingly impossible my faith rests firmly with IOFFL is aims and objectives, which I have little doubt they will achieve? with bells on.

Nice to hear from you & Happy Xmas to you and yours.

paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

mismanaged by greedy, ignorant muck-savages

speaking of which, I'm watching a Prime Time about the Esat license carry-on

bit off-topic but this is the sort of thing we are up against - use your pull to get rich & screw the consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

use your pull to get rich & screw the consumer

Sadly, Eircom have been getting away from this for years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

As I am an eternal optimist

Well I'm the eternal pessimist/cynic and I'm inclined to agree with those in the forums who said, "those 'Cute Hoors' in Eircom were just waiting for some other companies namely UTVip/Esat to offer us a reasonably fair deal, which would soak up all the heavy users leaving them all the profitable users for when they finally launch a flat rate package of there own." It wouldn't suprise me if they used the same rationale in their I-Stream pricing. ie Get as many heavy dial-up users and early adopters to sign up for I-Stream at an outrageous price and then lock them into a contract for a year. They then launch a reasonably priced package for the rest of us.

Actually, having just re-read the last paragraph, that would mean we could soon be getting flat rate and reasonably priced broadband. Maybe I'm a closet optimist after all!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It wouldn't suprise me if they used the same rationale in their I-Stream pricing. ie Get as many heavy dial-up users and early adopters to sign up for I-Stream at an outrageous price and then lock them into a contract for a year. They then launch a reasonably priced package for the rest of us.
    *going down on my knees and praying*
    Please please please please

On topic again ...
    I do believe that IOFFL are doing great work, they are the consumers voice and are being heard .... the question is though whether the right ears are listening .... If we could only find out if our ministers and other elected officials are taking this on board...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by paddy20
    Yellum,

How the heck did you know that I wore glasses?
    `

Paddy - he didn't - he used a "metaphor", saying you were looking at the "situation" through "rose tinted glasses".

"Look it up", maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Jesus - get off his case. Every chance you get - you make snidy remarks.

Originally posted by Terminator
    Jesus - get off his case. Every chance you get - you make snidy remarks.

I'm not making a snide remark;- I've no problem, generally, with Paddy20 - until he starts insulting people's intelligence of course.

All I'm doing is pointing out something to him that he apparently missed. Chill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Im just constantly grateful IOFFL even exist. Sure we may be connecting at ****e speeds now, but without them I dare say we'd be cheering over the latest 7.5k modem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ireland Offline has definitely made a difference! The people who run it & the people who support it should be commended…We are getting there…slowly but surely.

I regret not having very much time available over the past 2 years, as I would have liked to have been more actively involved. I have however given the IOFL / Boards links to countless people. Every little bit helps I suppose…

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I'm not making a snide remark;- I've no problem, generally, with Paddy20 - until he starts insulting people's intelligence of course.

For god's sake quit with the silly jibes. I don't feel my intelligence is being insulted by paddy20. Not everyone gets an A in honours English. You're remarks to paddy20 are far more insulting. :mad:

Anyway.... Back on topic.....

Hats off to the efforts of IOFFL. I haven't been following events for that long, but I get the impression people in high places are taking notice.

One of the most important roles of IOFFL has been to counteract propaganda and other mis-information in the press and on the airwaves. This counteraction has been swift and effective, often leaving the mis-informers with egg on their faces.

Well done (so far)....

In an effort to keep this bullshit off the forum, I've PM'd you in response, DC.

Bard,

As you suggested. I have looked up - metaphor - . The application of a name or descriptive term to an object or action to which it is imaginatively but not literally applicable (e.g. a glaring error).

As I am - a classic migraine sufferer - who by coincidence wears "rose tinted" prescription glasses when needed and my retort at Yellums somewhat tongue in cheek comment was not meant to be taken so seriously!, .

Can I now be allowed please, to get on with my life in peace? Thank you.

Paddy20:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Would this be considered to be a 'Troll' ?

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Unfortunatly not.

Gone way off topic

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement