Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin+"the music scene"

Options
  • 25-11-2002 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

i've always been aware of this, but recently i've been overwhelmed by the nature of most people in the scene in dublin. its full of begrudgery, back-handedness and bitchyness. when did music become a competition instead of a thing of enjoyment? It shouldn't matter what music you play as long as YOU enjoy it and it comes from the heart. people should appreciate that and leave you be. i've come accross so many opinionated, pretentious, arrogant, negative **** now. im sick of it. and im really looking forward to getting out of this bitter, bitter country.

in the end, if you're bitching all the time about how **** the music is, you're never gonna be able to hear and know whether you ACTUALLY enjoy it or not.
    good luck with that.

;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 john Steffani

This argument is as old as the hills. And before you ride off over the moral high ground into this mythical land were no begudgery or skulduggery exists please allow me to enlighten you.
    Bitchiness or Back-handeness is not a uniquely Irish problem it's more to do with the music industry in general. It is the nature of the beast that people slag each others efforts off and take strips off each other at any given time. Open your nearest english magazine/newspaper and it's full of people having a go at each other. If you can't stand this then have nothing to do with music. Apart from this the Dublin Band scene is full of great people and you're obviously mixing with the wrong crowd if you can't stand their company. I think it's YOU who's being negative and blaming your woes on people in Dublin Bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

I think everyone in a band has felt like that at one point, a little disheartened by the scene. All you can do is try to go about your business in the fairest way you can, be receptive and helpful, and if you encounter clowns with attitude problems, steer well clear of them in the future.

This is Arch Springer saying, take care of yourselves - and eachother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gigsmart

I think we'd be with Arch on this one.

For me personally (Tom) you have to be a bit of baddie for the betterment of getting the good stuff through.

Never engage a begrudger as you validate their arguments, ignore them and rock on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Candice

Originally posted by john Steffani
    This argument is as old as the hills. And before you ride off over the moral high ground into this mythical land were no begudgery or skulduggery exists please allow me to enlighten you.
    Bitchiness or Back-handeness is not a uniquely Irish problem it's more to do with the music industry in general. It is the nature of the beast that people slag each others efforts off and take strips off each other at any given time. Open your nearest english magazine/newspaper and it's full of people having a go at each other. If you can't stand this then have nothing to do with music. Apart from this the Dublin Band scene is full of great people and you're obviously mixing with the wrong crowd if you can't stand their company. I think it's YOU who's being negative and blaming your woes on people in Dublin Bands.

thank you for enlightening me, but i would have to partly disagree. although i know there are arseholes everywhere, i think that dublin brings begrudgery to a new level. friends of mine just finished a tour abroud, and were saying that they noticed the difference in peoples attitudes as oppsed to a lot of people in dublin. but one thing i really would like you to enlighten me on is why you say im negative and blaming my woes on people in dublin bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 myles

Hi candy. You're right. Dont waste your time here. not while your still young anyway..
    dont wait until your an old divorcee like me, it just gets harder. (drives you mad eventually)
    Hold you're head high and just remember to keep giving as good as your taking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

I tried a long time ago to make myself numb to it but it never worked. It is rotten karma. its can be the difference between being motivated and excited about your future or just saying 'forget this arse candle nonsense, i'm gonna get a job in the IFSC...'

Low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Or you could milk it and get an apartment in the IFSC, like me......

Sorry private joke....

Yeah, the problem with the way things are is that people have a natural instinct to hold a grudge against people whom are in the same business as themselves and produce what they feel to be an inferior product to theirs, and still get more respect for it.

Look at the way people are slaggin off Linkin Park at the moment, this is a band that started up the same way as every other rock band in the world, they all got Instruments from their parents one year as a Chrimbo pressie, they learned how to play them ( although that is a matter of opinion ) then they all hooked up and formed a band, writing their own songs, playing their own instruments and started off ( Im sure ) playing in small pokey little clubs then somewhere made there way to the big stage.
    Yet for some reason they are not a real Rock Band, to be totally honest, I am not a big fan of Linkan Park, but still I say fair play to them and if you can entertain your audience then you belong on the stage.

Well thats my two cent.

Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Someone one very wise once said to me' "Rock n roll is a mug's game."

What makes anyone think that it's any different from any other industry, that it should be pure and wholesome? That people become free and universally conscious just because they are trying to make a living playing music? Aside from being the most conservative industry in the world, filled with parading journalists, indifferent A & R people and limited radio support, you also must deal with the music listening public who in my opinion are the most conservative of the lot.

By this I mean that you will rarely find someone who will listen to music beyond what they consider to be "Cool". Witnesss any music based debate on this board.

"I think this band sucks"
    "This band is the greatest band ever and if you don't think so you're an idiot."

It goes on for bloody ever. There is more competition now than there has ever been. Just looking at the amount of demos coming into the station will tell you that. That also means standards have been raised.

Do you want to make music? Play in your room or on the street. Do you want to make money? Sacrifice. Nobody starts as a famous musical genius. It's hard work? Too Bad. People are mean? Too bad. The universe doesn't appreciate you? Please.

I'll end as I begin

It's a mug's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

pretty well put, sinny p. i wholeheartedly agree. i gigged around dublin with a band i played in for about 2 years, and you've just gotta get used to constant criticisms and/or begrudgery. if not, don't bother. it comes with the territory. personally, i loved to play music more for myself than others, so i don't gig around with a band anymore, i just play at home when the urge takes me. i don't make any money from it, and i don't get glory or praise heaped upon me, but i enjoy it and that's all that matters.

the music industry is just that: an industry. which would make it competitive by nature. if you don't like it, find your niche someplace else.

and i know that theres little point in complaining.

i just want to urge you. the next time you start bitching about someone. take a minute to think why. and then take a minute to think, what would bitching accomplish.

HEY MYLES: my going away thingy is on saturday. come along, i havent seen you in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

If you're in a band, you're still entitled to an opinion. I think it's healthy to discuss music and if people give off the cuff rejection of your music, so what? People have told me they think my music is boring and it honestly doesn't bother me; surely nobady expects universal acclaim. I don't recommend giving blind moral support to anyone with the guts to play their music. Most musicians would rather be taken more seriously than that even if they get criticised. I think that supporting the scene just because it's there is dishonest. Criticism of good music I can live with; hype about bad music I can't.

On the bitchyness of the scene, I can't say I share your experiences. I've played lots of gigs (including ones involving people who post here) and I've found people generally polite and trustworthy. Maybe your expectations are too high or you've met the wrong people.

In summary, musicians = just as bad/good as people in other walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i'd agree with deaf ro, most of the folk we've gigged with have been generally really nice ppl, maybe we've been lucky...

*touches desk and throws salt over shoulder while eating a mag pie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

I too am ashamed to admit I've had nothing but pleasant experiences gigging around Dublin. A lot of people/bands are a little nervous about their music so if you give them the cold shoulder then they're not that nice, but if you treat people nicely you'd be amazed at the positive reaction you get.

If you're the Candice I think you are then I recall a band I used to be in gave you a support gig after our bass player met you busking on the street. We never regretted it for a moment :) It's a great feeling - as well as promoting your own music being able to introduce new musicians to your 'crowd' and just generally make every gig as all-round enjoyable for everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Actually in the past few months, now that i think of it, we have only really had encounters with bands who are really nice groups of people. Of course i can think of a dozen bads who were complete clowns and had a really inflated sense of their own talent but its the good ones you remember.

66e

i wasn't clear, i suppose..
    i'm not just talking neccesarily about bands, to be honest, i cant think of any bands I'VE had really bad experiences with. i'm just talking about bitching from people EVERYWHERE. too often i've heard bitchy conversations about people who just don't deserve it. im not bringing myself (as a musician) into the equation. im just talking about general attitudes from the general public. anyway.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Ireland = begrudgery.

Maybe everywhere is the same, but I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

general attitudes from the general public? c'mon, look at all the music that's being supported by Irish people just now. God, just look at any email from Road Records. Look at crowds paying rapt attention to Sigur Ros and the Redneck Manifesto and the Jimmy Cake and the Frames. This is a *great* time for music in Ireland. Yes, not everyone is an amazing person, but we've got a pretty good batting average around here I think! (And I haven't even mentioned all the lovely people at Phantom yet :p )
    smile!

Advertisement