Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have their own server?

Options
  • 25-11-2002 6:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

If yes, what have you set up or such - ftp etc.. how much did it cost you or what brand did you choose?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Maybe try this on the hosting boards?

Perhaps also outline the role/function of the server as there are a million and two combinations and configurations and software options, all depend on ultimate function,

HTH, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i've got some of *my own servers. Some are hosted here in ireland, these are actual physical boxes sitting in a data centre, not shared virtual hosts.

you can get a shared host from hosting365 for piddle all a year, and itll do mail hosting and all sorts of other stuff.

if its just hosting you need... maybe try blacknight or someone else who do good budget hosting.... :)

(slight pimpage, cant hurt hehe)

But as stephen said, its hard to say what to get until you actually can tell us what your needs are.

like,

1. disk space??
    2. monthly bandwidth usage?
    3. static or dynamic site? (doesnt matter much tbh)
    4. features? database, then what type MSSQL? MySQL?
    etc etc

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I'll ave one next week, an old e-mail server. No idea what I'll use it for, any ideas anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Maybe try this on the hosting boards?

Perhaps also outline the role/function of the server as there are a million and two combinations and configurations and software options, all depend on ultimate function,

HTH, Steve

well it wasn't really in relation to hosting, more anyone set one up for their own personal use, or maybe a games server for themselves and their mates :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

You could probably get a decent game server going amongst friends if one of you has DSL. If you get Esat DSL, you get 256kbps upstream, which equates to 32KB/s. €ircon only allows 16KB/s upstream.

Maybe enough for 2 or 3 other firends to play.

Hardware... Any old PC with an ethernet card is good enough. Personal firewall is a good idea too to block off certain ports to block NetBIOS scans, smurf attacks, etc. Zone Alarm is grand.

Then start up whatever game server you want, pick a port number for it to run on and away you go (allowing it through the firewall of course).

How are you planning to connect the server to the Internet cisco kid? If at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Er... I've got IIS on PC and Apache on Laptop... just for testing websites though, not for physically serving to any amount of visitors :]

Used to run an FTP when I had DSL to share with friends etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I'm working on my own server right now. My Wireless 512 up&down line will be installed in a week. As it is a static IP I hope to run a few servers(games, FTP, apache, IRC, SQL, mail server)...

The server will mainly be my proxy and router to the net. It will be a Debian box but i might change to solaris at a later time....

P.s. If you can a server don't touch IIS or anything by MS. Stick to something solid like Debian, FreeBSD or Solaris...

I'll let you know how i get on. I got alot of wiring ahead in the next few days

Advertisement