Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What temp is ur comp running at?

• 25-11-2002 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

what is a good tempreture for a xp2000+ to run at? The pc I have in work, was only running at 100, so it set it to 133, and the temp has gone up by 10C, running around 50c now, is this ok?or is it too hot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

My XP2100+ goes from 50C to 60C, I also am not sure about this. I got an extra case fan which helps for the most part. Anyone know what the temp should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well my comp in work started to freeze on me, when doing stuff that eats cpu time, so just wondering if it was dodgy cooling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I overclocked my cpu and it became unstable and started to freeze. Then a few months later my cpu fan failed and melted my cpu to the motherboard :(. At the moment I've got my xp2100+ running at 38 C.

Can I ask you what fan/cooler U have??

38C, WOW that's impressive, what cooler indeed. I just had a look at the AMD site and downloaded the Model 6 processor Data sheet. under thermal design it says that all model 6 maxium die temperatures are 90C, it doesn't say what the optimal temp is though. Does the chip have to be so warm to work at full capacity or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have an XP2100+ .
    I have a Chieftec Dragon case with a front and rear SAF-B82 fan.
    System is very quiet and runs at about 45-57 degrees C.
    Motherboard temp is about 24C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I have found that as long as you have good airflow inside your case, then the heatsink make is irrelevant (unless sound levels are your concern). When I built my XP1800+ system last year I bought the cheapest coolermaster fan I could, think it cost me about stg£10, I stuck it on just using the 'built in' thermal pad, i.e. no artic silver paste. I have never had it above 49 celcius, and I have it overclocked to 1621Mhz and I ran lots of stress tests, it normally doesn't go above 44 celcius, with a case temp. of ~36 celcius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

got coolermaster silent fan 4 me xp 1900 , runs between 32-38 Degrees 50-60 i would find slightly worrying tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Originally posted by TruckledUncivil
    got coolermaster silent fan 4 me xp 1900 , runs between 32-38 Degrees 50-60 i would find slightly worrying tho

Ive a silent coolermaster fan (the heatpipe yoke) on my 1900xp and right now Im at 51c :( It'd be 55+ If I was play'n a game.

Maybe my case is too warm.. 35c .. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

right now Im at 51c It'd be 55+ If I was play'n a game.

Don't worry about it, as is mentioned up the thread, these things can survive up to 90deg.....you're fine if your between 50 and 60, relax ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

NEC XL3 with standard crappy fans on an AthlonXP1900+ running at 80 degrees C.

Stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My lovely P4 2400mhz @ 2700 mhz runs at 45 degrees at max load :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

My AMD Athlon XP 2400+ runs at 32 degrees C, which is nice. Pity the fan sounds like a damned jet engine.

Slaan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hussey, those temps sound normal for stock cooling. If you want it running a bit cooler, get yerself a super-dooper cooler. Even Maplins sell them so you should be able to get a pretty decent one there. Don't worry about those temps though.

My rig:
    XP2200 @ roughly 0 degrees C.

Oh sorry.... forgot... non-standard cooling.

well i found out the problem is my mobo.

But thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    Don't worry about it, as is mentioned up the thread, these things can survive up to 90deg.....you're fine if your between 50 and 60, relax ;)

Hey Im not worried, Im jealous ! Truck here has the same chip & cooler and he's 15c less than me ! Git ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i have a thurderbird 1.33 mhz. Not over clocked or anything and it runs from 48 to 55 depending on what im dooing.

Hey its at 50 right now!

I must check amd`s site to see if that is too hot for my cpu, probabally not.

When im at a lan party and the system is on all day i take the sides and front off and it runs 8-10 degrees cooler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Iv got an amd 2000+ xp with a coolermaster HHC-001, 100% copper heatpipe hsf ,my cpu temp is 37-39 and system temp is 20-22 C ,although iv got 4 80mm fans and 60mm blowhole , v noisy tho,prob gettin a zalman flower soon,and thermaltake temp controlled fans-( maplin 26 yoyo's )

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

on air load = 52 no overclock
    on water load = 41 overclocked
    systems temps = 30 only one exaust fan
    Thats using Prime 95 to get a load which is very stressful
    But me motherboard doesn't use the internal diode it uses the insocket thermometer. So these temps aren't that accurate
    Koneko what cooling are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I got a combo deal from Maplin recently, with an Athlon 2000+XP proc, Mainboard K7S5a (I think) mobo and Supercooler heatsink/fan. Installed in a case I had before, fitted all other bits, and I could fry eggs on top of the case. After a week of lockups and strange behaviour, I fitted a case fan, and found a temperature monitor prog. The case fan was not shown, and the CPU fan was, running at about 2750 rpm. CPU temp was 65-70C, with system temp at 35-40C. Crashes continued.

Case still felt hot on outside, so I grudgingly reduced CPU speed settings to 100/100 from the 133/133 in the Setup. This improved matters greatly, so I can run CPU-heavy jobs like video conversion without a crash 90% in. But I'm only running CPU at 1250 MHz.

Had a quick word with occupant of local computer store, he pointed finger at Power supply. I had asked him about loadings from the contents that I have:
    -100 MB HDD
    -20 MB HDD
    -DVD-ROM drive
    -CDRW drive
    - TV card
    -Satellite card
    -Sound card
    -Video card
    -Ethernet card

Also have most board ports in use, with 4 USB devices on a hub.

He added up in his head and said I needed a 400W Power Supply Min, and preferably 450W. I asked whether this could be contributing to my earlier instability, and, not surprisingly, he answered in the affirmative.

So, I will get at least a 400W supply. Is there anything else I should do before I need to dive into the strange flower heatsinks and watercooling solutions? Would appreciate any suggestions to get me back up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

you definitely should invest in some cooling.

I've an
    XP 2000+ on the new nVidia2 chipset (ASUS A7N8X)

On normal usage:
    CPU temp: 39degrees
    System temp: 28degrees

On 100% usage:
    CPU temp: 50degrees
    System temp: 29degrees

Im using a Glacial Tech Igloo2320 PRO heat sink from komplett.ie, might want to invest in one of those, its only 25 eur.

I also have 3 case fans.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Hmm, I could have score I replied to this topic..

My lovely AMD burned like the fires of hell lastnight, 90 C my ass! I'm having a funeral for it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Ok,

Going to sound like the amatuer that I am, but how do u check what temp your machine is running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

My CPU is Athlon XP 2000 and it always runs at 56-58 Degrees Motherboard Asus A7V333 TEMP 30 Degrees and Chassis Temp 18 Degrees.
    I can't remember the last time it crashed no problems even when gaming.

Cheers

RED

Advertisement