Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS 2000 updates

• 25-11-2002 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    When I go onto the Microsoft update site and perform the usual checks I am informed that I need various updates, the main one being Service Pack 3. It says that the size is only 650k approx. This is no problem for my personal PC with 56k dial-up. But when the upgrade is downloaded it triggers the 'main' download which is 11Mb. Can I download these updates in work, burn them and then install them on my home PC???.
    Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

Your best bet in this case is to avoid WindowsUpdate, download and burn (in work) SP3 and any other 'rollup' patches. Then using Windows update will be much easier over a 56kbps.

Bogobot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I use Windows Update to tell me what I need, and "Windows Update Catalog" to download them later/elsewhere. For SP3, I downloaded the network install version. You can get it off magazine CD-ROMs too.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

cgarvey - what's the URL for that?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The network install flavour is http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp3/download.asp .... the network install version is over 120megs (it includes versions of the update for all flavours of Win 2000 AFAIK) ...

Advertisement