Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar

Options
  • 25-11-2002 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Who here plays guitar?

I've been learning for the last couple of weeks and i've got one or two songs under my belt (American Pie, Time of your Life, Fields of Athenry, The One I Love), and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good songs (ie. songs i'd know) that are relatively simple to learn on the guitar.

Also who else plays guitar and for how long? :)

<< Fio >>

Do you play guitar (like me!) ? 30 votes

Yes. :)
    0% 0 votes
    No. :(
    73% 22 votes
    Hehehehe, Fio playing a guitar, hehehe....
    26% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I'm getting my bass guitar and amp in a few days (I hope)... does that count?

Anyway, are you learning chords and stuff or just learning tabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've been playing for about two months now but no major accomplishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Been playing about 2 years now, so I'm not too bad. Bare Naked Ladies stuff is easy enough to play - the likes of "If I had a Million Dollars" or "Be My Yoko Ono".

A good place to look if you want to download chords is http://www.danmansmusic.com/songs2.htm - they have most of the old OLGA database there.

I would suggest as well, that you find songs you want to play, and then see if you can play them or not. I downloaded a lot of stuff ages ago, and I keep going through it from time to time, and I find that I usually manage one or two more that I didn't the last time I checked.

Try and find a few more guitar players as well - the best way to pick up songs is to play with other people, and watch the chords they're playing.

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

Im hoping to get one for christmas and start learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

been playing for bout 4 years, but It feels like 15 :P

Most of the stuff I could tell you to play would probably be too hard/ boring ( No, im not cocky...:))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i've been playing for four years, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i've been playing for about two years....songs,hmm,i know a couple older stereophonics songs which are quite easy to play...matchbox twenty's stuff is pretty easy too....i can't really think of what else i can play,i usually can't until i have a guitar in my hand and an audience in front of me...i'll have a think and get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I can play the set square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I used to play, but 3 years of music class with the comically named Ms. Melody destroyed all love that I had of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

My Dad's side of my family is actually pretty musical but seen as I can't be arsed to learn to play any instruments I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

been playing for a year and a half but i suck. :( wonderful tonight by eric clapton is miserably easy and a lot of bob dylan stuff is pretty easy too, also the beatles and *some* U2 stuff. riffs are fun..
    sHep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

i can play time of your life. slowly. very slowly. and some of yesterday. REALLLLLY slowly
    go me *does happy proud dance even though she sucks*

One thing I've found, is that many apparently difficult songs can be played quite easily once you leave out a lot of the fancier stuff - for instance the song "Sweet Home Alabama" is quite complicated to play properly if you do all the little licks and solos and stuff, but if you just stick to the basic chords, it becomes D C G, with an F somewhere in the second verse.

Also, finger-picking can make a song sound far more complicated than it actually is. Time of Your Life would fall into this category methinks.

Of course, if you actually want to be able to sing while you're playing, then it's a somewhat different story - after two years of playing I'm still only getting used to singing and playing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

One of the most satisfying riffs to get is the opening one to dire straits Rome & Juliet. not an easy song (i constantly **** it up) but sooo satisfying :)

One of the most satisfying riffs to get is the opening one to dire straits Rome & Juliet. not an easy song (i constantly **** it up) but sooo satisfying

One of the most satisfying things is pulling off the odd Joe Satriani Riff perfectly, or playing some bitch-hard self-made music( I have the unfortunate make your own stuff as hard as you can syndrome)

[edit: to fix the quote thingie]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

A lot of Slayer's stuff is fairly easy to play, it's only the speed factor.

Playing for about 1/2 year, and still suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I play guitar by times, learn sweet home alabama, its easy and cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Sweet Home Alabama is really easy if you just do the chords with simple strumming, but it's really fun to add some picking stuff and whatever the hell you want to make it sound more like the song. but that song is a lot of fun to mess around with. but, then again, you can make pretty much any song really simple by just strumming the accompaniment chords, but doing the more intricate stuff is harder, yeah, but so much more fun when you master it. (in my opinion, at least)
    Well, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys can sight-read?
    Cause I constantly hear jokes about how guitar players can't sight-read (or read music for that matter.) I always get them back by proving I can do it (and not too shabbily either...guess those piano, guitar and theory lessons paid off, eh?) but I was just curious how many of our bunch do read music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

A lot of G'n'r stuff is all the same 4 chords too. The solos are another story. Beatles stuff is handy to pick up and most of it is chords too. Go into a music store and get a song book for guitar that has a few songs that you know (and like) well. It will make it easier to learn.

Another trick is to record yourself playing a short piece at a time play it back and compare it to the original. You'll get a better "feel" for how it should sound, and where you are making mistakes than simply playing on your own or learning from a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by twix_girl
    Cause I constantly hear jokes about how guitar players can't sight-read (or read music for that matter.) I always get them back by proving I can do it (and not too shabbily either...guess those piano, guitar and theory lessons paid off, eh?) but I was just curious how many of our bunch do read music.

I can, well mostly, i did music in first year, and then i learned violin for about a year, and i picked up a lot of sight reading (had to for orchastra exams: unknown pieces (yaya! First Class Honours)). :)

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement

I used to be able to read music fairly well, but then I gave up going to lessons (after 7 years, I'd had enough, and didn't have the time in college to prepare for grade 7 flute, or grade 8 theory), and started playing by ear a lot more. As a consequence, my sight reading is now very laboured, and I need to take a fair bit of time to get a piece of written music into my head. If I can hear it a few times first though I'm grand.

Yeah, I's can sighteread. I taught myself :D

It stills takes awhile, I ahvent tried in yonks

Originally posted by Chimaera
    I used to be able to read music fairly well, but then I gave up going to lessons (after 7 years, I'd had enough, and didn't have the time in college to prepare for grade 7 flute, or grade 8 theory), and started playing by ear a lot more. As a consequence, my sight reading is now very laboured, and I need to take a fair bit of time to get a piece of written music into my head. If I can hear it a few times first though I'm grand.

i've been the other way around with regard to sight-reading.i did piano exams up to grade seven,and couldn't sight read for ****,and then i gave it up,played piano for the junior cert practical,and sight-read flawlessly.madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

played piano for the junior cert practical,and sight-read flawlessly.madness

rofl jc practical, no offense but that hardly counts as sight reading

i can sightread music but not on guitar, what do you mean like tabs r what?

Originally posted by SOL
    rofl jc practical, no offense but that hardly counts as sight reading

fupp off,cormac,it does when your supposedly ****e at it.

bioch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭stevanavich

sight reading is sight reading, no matter what the level. so long as you can read the notes it makes no difference...playing them is a different matter of course...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Reading music is over-rated. Having a good ear is far better...
    I've been playing on and off for 14 years. Can read a note. Yet I've done session work for some big names. Ear is more important I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭stevanavich

well said my good man.
    truely, to have a musical ear is one of the greatest gifts one can have. yet one might be surprised at the amount of musically talented people who disregard it and have almost nothing to do with music....it's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

What exactly is a "musical ear" anyway?
    Maybe I have one, unlikely as it may seem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

it's kinda like athletes foot methinks.

Advertisement