Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give us you opinion on buying pets at Christmas!

Options
  • 25-11-2002 1:49pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With it being the festive time of year and all that Id thought I d get opinions on this issue.
    Personally I hate the idea of buying pets at Christmas but what your opinions????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No, I would not like the idea of pets for christmas.

Just fed up of reading about all the puppies that are dumped after xmas becuase they are bored of them or they get too big.

People should be vetted before getting pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bad idea.

I know I've said this before, but it turns the pet into a Christmas present, and not a member of the family.

Once Christmas has passed, you forget about your presents and get back to normal life. The initial excitement has gone, and people (especially kids!) lose interest.

Buying a pet shouldn't be a spur of the moment thing, it should be planned and well thought out.

I think there's too many bad pet owners out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

he he-my dad bought my mum a dog to stop her going away somewhere. we let him enter the family anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unless you're planing on eating said animal on the 25th, no.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Have to say i am agreeing with the audience on this one, pets usually get discarded after christmas or when they have done one mess to many on the good carpet,
    Unless it is a family present then it should not be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

nanook still at work omigosh!

Unless you have been giving it considerate thought previously and Xmas is just good timing then it is deffo a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think I agree with most people here. Perhaps pick one up from the local pound in the new year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

... There are sooo many reasons NOT to buy a pet at christmas, and most have been mentioned above, however there are even more practical issues too, such as...

1) In terms of training the new 'arrival' outside (assuming most peeps are working), the nights are still cold, wet and DARK... so it's not as easy as during spring or the summer.

2) School hols are not as long, so if its a "pressie" for the kids, it will very quickly transition to either the 'stay at home parent' or 'whoever gets home first after work' to train the pup in. At least during Summer months kids have the time to invest during the mornings/days.

3) Unless its going to be an "indoor" addition to the family, starting the poor thing off at night outdoors in this kind of weather is cruel imho... but then again I'm an 'indoor' dog owner, so I'll admit to being bias here:)

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

If a person buys a pet at Christmas, and treats it properly - then yes it's fine.

If you however buy a pet and allow a 5 year old to pick it up by it's unmentionables, then no it's not a good idea.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Nope, don't agree with it. I also don't agree with buying pets for birthdays, surprises or the famous line 'for the kids'.

An animal should be bought because it is wanted and will be part of the family. See too many old dogs dumped before Christmas to make way for the shiny new pup or dumped after Christmas because people didn't think the whole thing through.

Wow, just noticed this is a really really old thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Holy thread resurrection Batman! If you want to discuss the topic, please start a new thread.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement