Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 XDA is €629 pay no more

• 25-11-2002 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Hey Irish1,
    Glad to see u took my advice and decided to start posting here. So are u going ahaead with buying the xda for €629 now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by talla
    Hey Irish1,
    Glad to see u took my advice and decided to start posting here. So are u going ahaead with buying the xda for €629 now?

Well I'm trying to hold out for the 64mb version but I not a very patient person, the O2 rep rep that called me re the price said it would be the end of december before they start supplying the 64 mb version.

Vodafone are currently testing the HP Jornado 928 but that could be a while away yet. Although Vodafone do offer a lot better value on price plans.

I went into the O2 shop that was going to charge me €790 and told them that a rep from O2 had told me it was €629 no matter what price plan you choose, The shop manager said she knew nothing of it, I then told them that the other O2 shop in town was selling them at €629, at which point she made a call to O2 who confirmed the price of €629. But I overheard the conversation, it turns out the O2 shop that has only the name O2 outside it is actually still ONE 2 ONE.

I read your post on the MMS if you get them settings fully worked out make sure and let me know as I will be eager to use MMS when I obtain my XDA.

Sorry for the long post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

If you plan on using the PDA/phone for GPRS (which is probably its most attractive way to connect) then I think O2's prices blow vodafone's totally out of the water. In fact vodafone have really really lame GPRS pricing..

I checked up both some months ago, so unless they have changed recently they compared like this:

Vodafone
    GPRS 1: €12/month. 1MB included. €7/MB thereafter (0.7c / KB)
    GPRS 5: €28/month. 5MB included. €5/MB thereafter (0.5c / KB)

O2
    GPRS 1: €7.50/month. 1 MB included. €2/MB thereafter (0.2c/KB)
    GPRS 5: €12.50/month. 5 MB included. €2/MB thereafter (0.2c/KB)

Clearly O2 are far cheaper for every aspect. They also have some other GPRS options which would work out cheaper for big GPRS users.

Also if you don't sign up for one of these plans I think its 2c/KB or something similar (which is VERY expensive - probably over €2 to load vodafone's homepage!).

Wireless internet using GPRS is the most attractive thing I see about devices like the XDA, so I think GPRS pricing would be one of the most important things for me.

Hope this helps,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Regarding the €800 price tag for the XDA, I'm reliably informed that that's the price for the device itself (i.e. if you don't sign up with the service provider at the same time).

I'm also reliably informed that, as a phone, it's crap. Lots of connection drops.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've checked about this myself

Checked with 02 last night they informed me that its 100% €629 with contract and any tarrif

Checked with two mobile phone shops in Waterford
    One if offering it at
    1 Year Contract - 629
    Upgrade 599 (or there abouts)

While another is charging more then 629 unless you pick both the high'est call tarrif and the high'est GPRS tarrif

Checked in a shop in Kilkenny, they charging around 799 for a 1 year contract on the normal tarrifs and it gets cheaper the higher you go (more or less same as Waterford)
    This shop even gave me a print out of all the pricing structure for it

Wtf is this all about, they really wana ripp people off, huh??

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cabaal
    I've checked about this myself

Checked with 02 last night they informed me that its 100% €629 with contract and any tarrif

Checked with two mobile phone shops in Waterford
    One if offering it at
    1 Year Contract - 629
    Upgrade 599 (or there abouts)

While another is charging more then 629 unless you pick both the high'est call tarrif and the high'est GPRS tarrif

Checked in a shop in Kilkenny, they charging around 799 for a 1 year contract on the normal tarrifs and it gets cheaper the higher you go (more or less same as Waterford)
    This shop even gave me a print out of all the pricing structure for it

Wtf is this all about, they really wana ripp people off, huh??

Ya Cabaal I got the same when I went into the so called O2 shop in Carlow, I hate to think how many people have been ripped off here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

they will dump their (Massive It Seems ) stock for around €299 then.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    they will dump their (massive) stock for around €299 then.

M

Sorry Muck just wondering do you this for sure or is it in your opinion?.

Also do you anything about when the 64mb version will be available.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Check this

The XDA is only 499 eur from the o2 germany online store - but the mug punters here have to pay 629 eur even up to 800 eur?

Given that we are supposed to be in a single market, single currency etc how can they justify this?

I have contacted o2's customer support and they came back with something about lower volume costs in Germany, which to me sounds like b*ll*cks. Do they mean the lower costs of accessing a web page and ordering online in Germany compared to here?

How can I "escalate" this? Would I contact the Competition Authority or is there some European Commission body?

btw I found out about this because I went to one of their stores to buy an XDA and found that they have none in stock, so I'm waiting for them to find one! No chance of ordering one online here though :mad:

• Advertisement

Well Pork whatever you decide to do I'm behind you all the way, I have spoken to two different people in O2 and both said that they couldn't justify the high price, they tried to say that the Irish market was smaller etc. Then I pointed out that HTC don't know what country there manufacturing the XDA's for, there exactly the same only the software is different.

I said I thought it to be racist, that we were being charged more because we were Irish.

Need any help just ask.

thanks for the support irish1 :)

I just need to sus out which would be the most appropriate body to forward this info to - will start googling around for that over the xmas hols

Just went to O2 shop and cancelled my order for the XDA, not wishing to be ripped off. If they had had the XDA in stock last week I would have bought it, literally had my credit card in my hand. But went back today and they were still waiting on it so - NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Does anyone know any more about Vodafone's plans for the Jornada 928? That looks like a much better deal.

About an hour after doing that I got a SMS from O2! What this I thought - some sort of attempt to offer me a really good deal on an XDA to keep me as a customer? No, it was to tell me that over the holidays calls to the US, Canada, and N Zealand will be 25c per minute which is f*** all use to me!

Christ on a bike what a dumb company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

its all to do with how much o2 are willing to subsidise the handsets in different countries, it s a rip off and its about time someone did something about it. if you don't want to buy xda with contract from o2, it's available for $829 from this website.

http://www.mobilefly.com/product.php?productid=62&

its sim fee but it will still be locked to the o2 network(BTW irish 1, its the 64mb version that you've been looking for).

As i've said to irish1, any help or advice or questions you need answered bout xda pm me or post on the boards.

talla

Well I'm a long standing vodafone customer and I have called them 3 times in relation to the HP Jornado 928, I have been told each time that it is in testing stages, but it was over a month ago since the first call. I'l call again and see if theres any word on it.

Thanks talla but I've decided for once to hold out and wait for it to drop in price, plus I bought a Nokia 7650 last week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had a chat with someone I know who works for O2
    Was interesting....

he said not a chance that the 64MB will be released in Ireland atm because they have wayyyyyyyy to many XDA's v1's in warehouses and at there present rate of selling it'll take them 2 years to sell them off.

So looks like they'll have to sell them off cheap or dump the lot of them.
    I was also advised to wait till Jan/Feb/March because the price is set to drop because of this :-D

Originally posted by Muck
    they will dump their (Massive It Seems ) stock for around €299 then.

M

Like I said :D

They have 10's of 1000's of them rusting in a warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

I'd suggest you consider waiting for the next HP iPAQ from the 5000 series with integrated GSM/GPRS to come out - due next year (2003) - very nice specs that far surpass the XDA's

Or as an alternative to the PDA that integrates a Phone, how about taking a look at the Phone that integrates the PDA? The P800 due in Jan/Feb from Sony Ericsson is just, well, exceptional.

ATB,
    BrianG

indeed. Thats even better advice. Next year should see a great standards war breaking out between MS (PocketPC) and Nokia (Symbian) and their respective camps.

Digitimes , a good predictor of the H/W pipeline about 3-6 months before the goodies hit the shops, had an interesting article about Compal, one of the big contract manufacturers Here

M

Advertisement