Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Printer - What Type to buy

• 25-11-2002 3:16pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

What type of home printer do you recommend, do not want it to die in the next year - what type do you recommend and where do you buy.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I have an Epson Stylus C70 and no complaints about it. The print quality is good and it's reasonably quick. It's a lot better than the Okijet I had before it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Injets cost a fortune in ink to run. I'd seriously consider a low end laser unless you need colour of course and even then it might be cheaper to get your colour stuff done in a bureau. Even a reconditioned laser with a warranty would be a better option.

Try to get a sample printed on the printer before you buy. Also get one page of text and one page of graphics/photos etc., because not all printers are good at both.

Also bear in mind that an inkjet may take 15mins to print say 100 pages at good quality whereas the laser would take 5mins.

The laser printers are built much better and are designed to last a decent amount of time. Some of the plastic in new inkjets is thinner than the paper they print on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a HP 3820 deskjet and I am quite happy with it (10+ppm draft mode b&w (300 x 300) and .2 or .3 ppm colour) very happy with it ... but if I want to print off a 50 page document I'll do it at work...
    The cost of a new b&w cartridge and a colour cartridge together come to about 100 euro ... coupled with the cost of the paper they are quite expensive ... but every inkjet on the market has lunatic priced consumables ...
    more expensive printer = cheaper consumables ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I used to have a laser printer and I replaced the toner in that about once every 3yrs at around €130. It malfuctioned after 7yrs so I left it into be fixed and the shop lost it! (and it wasn't small either) I replaced it with the Inkjet.

I'd say I use a printer infrequently. But I'd say when I use the inkjet I buy 4 B&W and 2 or 3 colour cartridges every year. The one I use are €35-25. Decent paper is also required and thats pricey too.

It was costing me a fortune so I recently bought a another laser (second hand this time) for €200. It prints fast and excellent quality on much cheaper paper.

I guess look at what your usage is going to be and see what suits you best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Hi Yop :) Have a look here

• Advertisement
Advertisement