Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

and again with the Gay thing.... :)

• 25-11-2002 3:56pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, one last time I want to run over what we want to do with the GLB board.

I've already decided were going ahead with it. We've a good charter done up for it (ta swiss) but there are a few questions I'm not sure if we ever answered.

1. Private? (Y/N)

2. Mods? (Swiss I think is a shoe-in... didnt we decide another mod too? probably three isnt a bad idea.....)

3. Main board or community?

4. Name?

5. The thing I've forgotten...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'd love to say make it public but some of the unbelievably stupid comments I've seen about gay people on boards in the past would make me think that it would be best to make it private.

/me 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not private
    Unreggie posting
    3 Mods
    Main board... society?

name... tricky

I can't see muppetry as rife as most people think. Good modding should be enough for a serious board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Calling it GLB might stiffle some of the more Stupid muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I concur with my fellow Kittencake enthusiast. Like PI only different. As for the name, well GLB/G.L.B is probably the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Private... no. In fact, allow unreggie posting.

Swiss for mod definitely. Dunno who else... We've got some genuine screaming queen types though (you allllll know who I mean), can we please NOT have them as moderators? :)

It deserves to be a main board same as PI, imo.

GLB seems a perfectly suitable name. Although I suspect there'll be few L's, but calling it the GB board would be inciting another invasion from the Republic of Kim Tae Banana Cheesecake Flavoured Fruitloop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Just whilst we are on the subject of communist infiltration, communist indoctrination... err I mean while we are on the subject of MI5, I'd like to point out that there should be some mention of those who consider themselves to be bi-sexual in the title of the board.

And if bi-sexuality comes under the remit and title of the board, then why not hetro stuff?

If the title is to be politically correct, it should be totally politically correct for all sexual persuasions, if you catch my jist.

Edit: At the very least, if one is to mention the board specifically as being Gay/Lesbian, I think it would be exclusionary for bi-sexual and hetrosexual discourse (no pun) not to be able to discuss there.

Of course the corollary of that argument is that with too many hetrosexual postings would negate the very reason for creating a gay a lesbian board to begin with.

Just a thought.

So you mean it should be called "Sexuality"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I think that is a fair conclusion.
    What about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Ah, so the GLB is being setup at last.

Right, I've spoken to DeVore on IRC about this already. It looks like (so far) that it will be a main board that's going to be put under Society. I'm happy with that, but if there are any objections we're obviously going to factor those into consideration.

If it's going to be a public board we're probably going to need around 2 or 3 mods. Again, the decision rests with DeVore, but I'll be giving recommendations as well. If anyone thinks I'm being partisan, please feel free to say so. I also think that a heterosexual mod of GLB may be a good idea, giving a different and equally valid perspective. Interested applicants apply here (in triplicate).

Unreggie posting is not something that DeVore is going to allow, subject to changing his mind of course (which is unlikely). For what it's worth I agree with this. Posting on PI is one thing, but GLB is also a very sensitive issue for a lot of people. Obviously this is a necessary evil, people may want to post unregistered for obvious reasons, but allowing this feature allows a deluge of 'j00 f4g' type trolls and flames.

I'm glad that we've got a charter for it. I agree with it, and won't be changing it... much ;). I'm too tired to link it, and it'll be on the board anyway.

• Advertisement

Posting on PI is one thing, but GLB is also a very sensitive issue for a lot of people. Obviously this is a necessary evil, people may want to post unregistered for obvious reasons, but allowing this feature allows a deluge of 'j00 f4g' type trolls and flames.

Fair point well made. One workaround comes to mind - if people want to post unreggie about GLB stuff that comes under the heading of PI, one of the PI mods can move it over, preserving the anonymity of the original poster but preventing the "0mg t3h f4gs liek it up t3h bu/\/\!!!11" flamekiddies.

I'm sure us PI mods wouldn't mind moving stuff over from PI but there won't be a discussion from closeted registereds, there would be no chance of them replying to the initial thread.

As for "Sexuality" I think that's a great name but may get a little heavy on the kink factor (or is that a good thing ;))

One workaround comes to mind - .......
    I thought about that a bit. I had a few ideas in relation to this. One was to create a special account, that can /only/ post in GLB that ppl can request access to via a PM to the moderators for the purposes of putting a sensitive or anonymous post in GLB.

I don't know whether this facility can be put in place without people abusing it (for example ppl changing the password and/or spamming with the account), but it's worth some consideration, IMO.

Another one would be to get posters to create extra accounts, but I don't think it would be wise to pursue this course because it usually leads to increased muppetry.

Is there any way of pre-modding only the unregistered user's posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Typedef
    Edit: At the very least, if one is to mention the board specifically as being Gay/Lesbian, I think it would be exclusionary for bi-sexual and hetrosexual discourse (no pun) not to be able to discuss there.
    Not sure how this fits in, but what about celibacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hang on a second, straight people dont have issues around "coming out" etc.

I'm not entertaining PC objections to this, its a feckin gay/bi/lesbian board. Cop on.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Also, this board ISNT about gay-sex per se. Its not a chat up board, an erotica board or a sex-guide board either.

Read the charter, its for helping people who are coming to terms with being gay, its about supporting gay people to organise their community better. Just like the Quake board helps Quakers to organise Lans etc better.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    Hang on a second, straight people dont have issues around "coming out" etc.
    That doesn't mean they don't have similar problems addressing their sexuality or more importantly are undeserving of a board. I'm not sure, but their is an impression that, in particular, gay groups act as a support mechanism - is there really such mechanisms for other groups (in "Holy Catholic Ireland" matched with a mentality that ostracises anyone who isn't a "stud").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I wanna be mod.
    I have no sexual inclinations at all but i do read about it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Public would be better yes. Three mods yes. One of them a breeder, good idea.

DeV I think you could well get good feedback from the whole glb community if you set this up and its run as well as the other forums.

I also have faith in the community here that it won't go muppetry mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Yellum for mod.

;)

Mods: Swiss, Yellum and Shinji

PI is the "support" group for hetro problems. To be honest the whole "if gays have one we should too" thing doesnt wash that well with me. You dont see Affirmative Action for whites...

(dont get me started on AA, I dont agree with it but its too long a rant to go into now...)

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore

PI is the "support" group for hetro problems.
    Good stuff, good choice.

We'll be backing you up then guys ;)

Originally posted by Gordon

We'll be backing you up then guys ;)

Easy Tiger ! Oh oh, that way, as in support. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

About time - good choice of mods and all :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Excellent choice. Three thumbs up (sic) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

How about just plainly calling it "Sexuality" or if thats a bit too potent for some board members, theres always my second suggestion "Soho Central"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Good choice of mods well, I don't know Yellum, but Swiss and Shinji are both particularly well suited.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Good choice of mods but I thought you said there was going to be at least one breeder?

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hmmm I think some people just object for the sake of objecting.

The last time this came up I made the point (and DeV made it earlier) that just because people have a quake board, you don't see me or other gamers going "I want a board for us non-gamers". The same for "Parents" - because I'm not a parent, I'm not looking for a "non-parenting" board. :rolleyes:

I think it's a good thing that the board is being set up. It's a case of why not. Might as well be tried :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Damn you logic, you beat me to that joke :)
    Originally posted by Victor
    That doesn't mean they don't have similar problems addressing their sexuality or more importantly are undeserving of a board.

Thats what PI and maybe Humanities is for. PI was born out of a "why isnt there a gay board" "wait, why isnt there a sex board" "what about us celibates" etc etc discussion and fulfills its purpose perfectly well

In fact i still think PI is a perfectly acceptable place for GLB Issues and its hardly overflowing with threads about it. If it takes off, well and good. Personally i hope it doesnt lead to more boards along these lines (a la the over 18's site) for the reasons broadly outlined in the 18's thread.

Good choice of mods, however why is a straight mod essential? Its a gay community, let there be queens, not kings :)

Originally posted by Dustaz

Good choice of mods, however why is a straight mod essential? Its a gay community, let there be queens, not kings :)

What straight mod? There's only gay mods, as it should be.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

haven't read the entire thread (getting kicked out of the lab), but I'd co-mod the board if there's still a space left.
    I'm not gay/lesbian(in the stereotypical definition :))/Bi, but I wouldn't take any shít/flaming off muppets.

• Advertisement

I'm not gay/lesbian(in the stereotypical definition )/Bi, but I wouldn't take any shít/flaming off muppets.
    No Syxpax, we don't need another mod of the lesbian board :). Away with thee! Seriously though the mods have been picked (sorry STaN, chernobyl) and excepting major muppetry or DeVore changing his mind, that's the way it's going to remain.

Trojan, how do you know Shinji is gay? I can't recall a single time on the board where he has actually unambiguously said "I am gay". So he fits the 'straight' (bwahahahahah) void while being one of the more experienced mods in boards.ie.

Originally posted by swiss
    Trojan, how do you know Shinji is gay? I can't recall a single time on the board where he has actually unambiguously said "I am gay". So he fits the 'straight' (bwahahahahah) void while being one of the more experienced mods in boards.ie.

Ahhh, forgive me, I thought you'd actually met him - you'll have to arrange for that sometime.

So he fits the 'straight' (bwahahahahah) void while being one of the more experienced mods in boards.ie.

Yes, he does plug a gap.

Sorry about the confusion.
    Al.

Ahhh, forgive me, I thought you'd actually met him - you'll have to arrange for that sometime.

Look, Al, it was all a horrible misunderstanding... it was late, I was drunk, and in a certain light, well, you just have an allure about you.

And it'd have been a lot less likely to happen if you hadn't been wearing a leather miniskirt and fishnet tights, frankly.

Shinji, u have to come along to the GLB drinkies now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by STaN
    Shinji, u have to come along to the GLB drinkies now :D

Ohhh queer beers! Kinda like care bears, all fluffy and cuddly ;)

.logic.

• Advertisement

Its going to be banana daiquiris and pinky fluffy dog cocktails.

Beer ? Ha, well maybe if theres a shot of blackcurrent in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

1) I don't htink Personal Issues is just for hetero's as someone said. It's for just that, personal issues, irregardless of sexual pursuasion or issue. There's a lot of non sexual issues raised.

2) I think sexuality is the best name for the board, but if you insist on calling GLB, at least call it LGB, since that's the more common form.

- Kevin

Originally posted by p
    1) I don't htink Personal Issues is just for hetero's as someone said. It's for just that, personal issues, irregardless of sexual pursuasion or issue. There's a lot of non sexual issues raised.

Deffo
    but if you insist on calling GLB, at least call it LGB, since that's the more common form

The common form of gay irish bulliten boards?

I was thinking of calling it "The Closet" actually :)

Anyway, I really dont see it as being for gay *sexual* problems.
    More for problems arising out of their sexuality.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

A post asked earlier if only unregged posts could be vetted first, before posting, allowing anoninimity, but preventing muppets from ruining it for everybody.

I think thats a very good idea if it is possible.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by p
    2) I think sexuality is the best name for the board, but if you insist on calling GLB, at least call it LGB, since that's the more common form.

- Kevin

LGB1 LGB2 LGB3 after 3 pages in google

And from a purely asthetic perspective, GLB is fun to pronounce, you have "glubh", "glub", "gulub" etc.

What about GBL? :)

Grevious bodily love...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

LGBT is fairly well known and is the recognised term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Trojan, how do you know Shinji is gay

Well i dont but you are very defensive of his position and something Shinji said to me to in the past about *clan members would add to it....
    ..but i have never seen Shinji say it either.

Hahaha, yes that's true, I'm a member of the UK's first all-gay games clan. It said so in PC Gamer so it must be true!

(You know, YEARS later we still get people going "oh god you're that gay clan!" on servers when they see the tag. Quality. :) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement