Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hiring junior IT people these days?

• 25-11-2002 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I have about a year of first line IT support and 3 years of a computer science degree (unfinished) behind me. I haven't come across any work that I would be experienced enough to do. I'm considering doing the MCSE's so maybe that would help my employment prospects.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i assume you are currently working as a help desk technician or whatever they are called these days...?

what do you think you need to be experienced?
    what is it you want to do that ou need the experience for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    what do you think you need to be experienced?
    what is it you want to do that ou need the experience for?

Cos no1's hiring junior people nowadays? I know it's pure laziness but if you look at monster.ie, every job is 'mid career'. Every job in the paper is '3 years experience required'.

erm, actually, i asked what experience do you think you need, not why do you need experience.

big difference.

if you can answer that then you will have a better idea of where you need to go and what uyou need to do as opposed to just randomly asking if anyone wants to give you some sort of an IT job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I'm currently working on a major installation of SAP HR in the civil service, but I don't know how much longer that will last.

From what I've seen advertised, you'd want a degree with 5+ years experience to be any bit suited to the jobs on offer.

My main question was does anybody know of any employers looking for Junior type IT staff because in all of my searching I haven't come across any.

what do you mean by junior IT staff?

helpdesk?
    desktop support?
    network admin?
    development?

• Advertisement

what do you mean by junior IT staff?

helpdesk?
    desktop support?
    network admin?
    development?

Sorry.

Helpdesk and desktop support would be my preference. Network admin would be beyond my knowledge at the moment and I have very little interest in development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I can only give you the ones in Galway
    at the moment as these are the ones im
    going for and simply because i share your
    fustration at the market at the moment at their "UNHELPFULLNESS" if thats a word (probably not ) towards Junior It
    people

UCG are looking for Computor operators
    22-27k
    Borthers of charity Desktop support
    22-27k
    third is a factory in Tuam dont have any more info currently , recruitment agency rang me.

As for what experiance does one need these days
    Definate MS - mcp at least to mcse , Im going for full mcse in feb.
    Some Unix - do a little Redhat just so you know the basics anything else you can learn quick enough.
    Cisco is nice also for a large company always a +
    maybe some basic programing Id try and go for some VB easy to learn and handy for Desktop work.
    Confidence in your knowledge.

Work at the moment is scarce John ,for entry lvl people , Im the same finishing a job in Dec . no work lined up as yet.
    And TRYING to get a network role in a company, who isnt affraid to train people up a bit.
    Best Of luck mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

erm, actually, i asked what experience do you think you need, not why do you need experience.

I wasn't trying to take the piss - it was just unclear from your question. :)

no i meant it as in if you think youre at 'this level' and you want to be doing 'this' work, then what do you need to bridge the difference?
    once you realise what sort of thigns you need to learn and where you want to go, it makes your life a lot easier to plan, and it allows you to place yourself in any position that arises that might allow you to get the experience that you need.

if you know what i mean :)

its one thing to say i want to be a network engineer, but its another thing completely to figure out how to get there.
    i should know, i went from being a factory button pusher to helpdesk to desktop support to support engineer to network engineer in the space of 4 very hard and long years.
    by the way, theres an awful lot of luck involved too. being in the right place at the right time will do more for you than any MS exams. i should know that too, coz i dont have any of them :)
    having said that, you do need to know your stuff, and you do need to be patient, and you do need to be able to communicate to people on both a technical and layman level.

but as i said, im in sales now, and i have no idea how that happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

an IT boom is also a great help.

• Advertisement

but as i said, im in sales now, and i have no idea how that happened!

Coincidentally, a sales job has just come my way :) I think I'll have to take it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by John2002
    Coincidentally, a sales job has just come my way :) I think I'll have to take it too.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I work on a helpdesk for over 4 years supporting Servers and the like. Never went for anything else as i was too lazy.. now there are no jobs out there so im stuck.. However i make €27k + and am not rushed off my feet so eh... im happy enough.. one day i will have to get a real job hehe

Advertisement