Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much memory?

• 25-11-2002 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before in some shape or form, but I just wanted to know what you guys see as being enough memory in a modern PC (i.e. 2 GHz P4). I generally use my computer development and games and watching movies. Do I really need more that 256MB?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

anything over 512mb is overkill unless your doing some serious rendering, video editing or audio work.

me, ive got 640mb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

OK, that's what I figured, but it doesn't fully answer my question. What I really need to know is should I spend the extra money on the new PC to upgrade from 256 to 512. Dell aren't exactly cheap for memory so I want to make sure it's worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Order extra RAM for your new Dell from www.crucial.com dude.

Luc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

RAM is cheapish now ... get as much as you think Microsoft Winders 2002 will need ... i.e. at least 512MB .... 256 may be fine now ... but you'll still be looking at your PC in two years (I'm guessing here, most people hold onto a puter for a few years) and it will be struggling with the latest whizz bang game next year probably...

I took the pi$$ when I was building my pc ... its oldish technology so I got 1GB of PC 133 (crucial) ram on ebay for less that 130 euros ... If I start hitting the hard disk, I KNOW that something has gone wrong....

And before anyone asks I dont do any rendering or anything out of the ordinary .. games and surfing mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Order extra RAM for your new Dell from www.crucial.com dude.
    winnar

Have a look there - you can order memory for a specific PC and it's much cheaper then buying direct from Dell (it's good memory too - not crap just because it's cheaper). Delivery to Ireland is about 8 quid per order but you're still saving quite a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement