Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Hardware... what you got?

• 25-11-2002 6:23pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I used to have a Commodore 64 around here somewhere but not any more :(

Have an old 4 track tape deck if anyone wanted it!

A mate and I root out the old Atari ST occasionally though we've both gotten really into MAME lately...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

A master system, an Atari ST(borked since 1994) a Snes(gave the power supply to a friend years ago and he lost it) and one of the first gameboys from 1989.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

BBC Master 128 (mint condition)
    BBC Master 128 with Torch Z80 coprocessor.
    BBC Model B
    Viglen 5.25" dual drive for above
    Microvitec RGB Monitor for above
    Home made serial cable for networking (!) above to my PC
    Spectrum 128K +2
    Atari 1040 STFM (weird variant with no TV out)
    SNES
    Assorted JAMMA stuff

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

amstrad CPC 464

1337 to this day

amstrad CPC 464

1337 to this day

Excellent machine. I had an Amstrad 664 for a while (the one with a built-in 3" FDD). The best ever implementation of 'Jet Set Willy' and 'Tau Ceti' was a game to die for.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Atari 1040 STFM (weird variant with no TV out)

that would be an STF

F stood for Floppy, M was For Modulator

for some strange reason they thought a choice between a floppy drive or a tv output was good.

The earliest ones were the STF and STM shortly after the floppy and RF modulator were put in the same machine, the STFM

a 1040 = 1mb or ram. i would gave killed for one of them i only had 512k and couldnt play monkey island and lemmings2 or cannon fodder.

the cpc 464 was l33t. i remember playing the bards tale and head over heels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Spectrum128k
    C64 and dozens of old carts
    Amiga 500+
    Snes
    megadrive II
    GB
    and at this stage a playstation;)
    ozpass what PCB's do you own??

that would be an STF

That's the kiddy. It's at the bottom of a box because I don't have the monitor. I was told that I can't play most games on it because it only works in hi-res and medium-res modes. It has a little after market toggle-switch on the right hand side below the keyboard- switches the drive or something?

I got it for running Cubase but without the monitor it's a bit dud.
    ozpass what PCB's do you own??

One's a Galaga clone of some description, the other's NARC. Got a few HAPP joysticks and buttons, the loom for a Hantarex monitor and a coin slot unit. Cabinet soon, hopefully.;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Galaga needs an adapter to work on a Jamma rig doen't it? I've been lookin into getting myself a jamma-cabinet with or without a PCB but I don't know anywhere in Ireland any ideas? I'm not looking for a superGun setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've got a pair of Hi-fi speakers that first saw the light of day
    when Pink Floyd had Atom Heart Mother in the LP charts. Whatsmore they're still going strong.

Mike.

LoGie: pm'ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sega Megadrive1 (done up - white/grey bits covered up with red permanent marker - even pads)
    A600 - lookiing to get a 2.5" small hard drive for the internal - anyone got one?
    386 - in bits
    486 (Cyrix 5x86 piece of ****) - in bits
    Various pentiums etc.
    Cousins have C64
    Looking tog et some other retro kit.
    have 2 really old scientific calculators.

had a minitel 800 for a while - didn't last long - in lots of really tiny bits now.
    Tyco miniTyphoon2 R/C hovercraft - the dogs b0ll0x in Tyco stuff imho - "bag" is parched now, splits all along the sides, might mod the chassis ontp a boat hull with air jets under the water for main propulsion and the two fans for direction/steering/turbo boost - was a bit restless last night and came up with a few rough ideas - need to get some fibreglass skills first for the hull.

need to get some fibreglass skills first for the hull

**Off Topic**

I made a fibreglass bonnet and boot for my Hillman Imp- might be able to offer some assistance with the procedure.

Most good Motor Factors do fibreglass repair kits which ought to do you for a small project. Alternatively find somewhere with an autoclave and use Carbon Fibre/Kevlar.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I used to have 2 commodore 64s, until something bad happened to them :(

I also had one of those Contra System yokes (basically a NES with a built in 1000 games in 1 thing) with a game genie (someone lost it on me), mario 3 and a few others.. funilly enough, i still have the operation wolf NES cart around here somewhere. Nowadys tho, i'm into emulation a lot.

I also have an old AT PC case, though i got it only recently, hoping to make up a pc with it.

I also have a crapload of c64 tapes too, had lots of c64 magazines, but my mum threw them out :(
    I also have a few other bits and pieces which i probably don't know about, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ah bless, my lil ole commodore 64 is still around here somewhere too, and apparently there others out there.
    we should start one of those alumni type things for people who still own them!
    the worst thing was the amount of time it took for the tapes to load.
    and the sound
    and the graphics
    wait a minute... were those things EVER good?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Atari 2600, Amazing Console with great games like Centipide.

NES, and Sega Gamegear

All fairly old.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

ZX81 (1kb with b/w graphics)
    ZX Spectrum 48k with speech synthesiser and joystick interface addon..
    Amiga a500 with 512k add-on memory and commodore cd-rom (rare)
    Amiga A1200 with 20mb hard-disk (AGA graphics, nice)
    Amstrad CPC464 with color monitor.
    Commodore 64 (gone missing somewhere)
    Sega Gamegear with TV addon... ... could run the sega mastersystem cartridges with an addon adapter i got years ago! think it was basically a miniturised mastersystem in a handheld.
    Lot's of Speccy/Amiga/Amstrad Mags/software

IBM PS/2 286 with b/w monitor.

386/486 p.c's etc..

Some commodore machine thingie with dual 8 inch disk-drives but no floppys available to try out.... hard-disks weren't ever installed in this thing, think this thing ran CPM operating system...

Must clean out the garage some day!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

In terms of computers I've

Commodore VIC 20 (C64s early 80s pre-decessor)
    Acorn Electron (again early 80s)
    Amstrad 6128+

also have several of my Dads "How Why & Wonder" books from the mid-60s.. for those that haven't come across them they are an institution in themselves ( http://members.optushome.com.au/intabits/HowAndWhy.htm )

Am I the only one who doesn't think 386/486/snes/megadrives are retro? (give em at least another five years...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Acorn Electron.

And like Kali I dont really think the SNES and GB are retro but I have them both.
    Oh and a 386. It is an IBM PS/1 I believe.

Originally posted by Kali
    In terms of computers I've

Commodore VIC 20 (C64s early 80s pre-decessor)
    Acorn Electron (again early 80s)
    Amstrad 6128+

I remember those CPC6128+ a friend had the 6128+ years ago, you could play those cartridge games on it but it flopped, think there was only a handful of games available, and the 6128+ didn't have a tape interface to load all those tapes, you had to hack the machine and solder on the contacts for the tape lead internally... remember soldering those on.. :)

also remember adding a 3.5 inch floppy drive (retro fit) onto the 6128 as the 3.5" floppies were cheap,the amstrad 3" were expensive and only held 178Kb??

anyone remember the demo scene from europe that was so big at that time? showcasing the programming abilities of all the best coders in europe...

Originally posted by Makaveli

Oh and a 386. It is an IBM PS/1 I believe.

The PS/1 i have is a 286 and its printed on the case, had a non-standard 3.5" drive in it... 10mb hard-disk as standard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

1. Atari 2600 + games + joypads
    2. NES + lots of games and lightgun for necessary DuckHunt goodness
    3. My Megadrive still with tons of stuff for it boxed away
    4. An Atari Space Duel arcade Cabinet still with original marquess etc.
    5. A SF2 board
    6. A Gamemaster Arcade Cabinet
    7. A now non working IBM XT

Theres more stuff hidden away somewhere just a matter of finding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

My CPC 464 is still in PWO :)
    Played it up until bout 2 years ago.

Got the
    colour monitor adapter for it,baught it in the isle of man about 8 years ago for £15 :D
    Mine uses the normal cassette tapes, got about 2 or 3 hundred games too, and another 50 'Amstrad Actions' :)

Anyone want it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Seraphina
    ah bless, my lil ole commodore 64 is still around here somewhere too, and apparently there others out there.
    we should start one of those alumni type things for people who still own them!
    the worst thing was the amount of time it took for the tapes to load.
    and the sound
    and the graphics
    wait a minute... were those things EVER good?!

I have CD of C64 tapes and a few emulators knocking about.. which reminds me, i should upload them to my site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Commodore VIC 20
    Commodore 64 (Hasn't everyone??)
    Atari STE
    2 X Amiga 500s (one with a funky 20 MEG!!!! Hard Drive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I've got a nintendo with about 35 games, along with various extras, game genie for cheatin, joystick, etc.

theres an ancient console up in the attic that just has Pong on it and the two controllers just have twisty knobs on them to control the paddles. cant remember what make it is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Casio VL Tone VL01 1981 keyboard still working. Sony SL F30 Betamax.. Cobra148 GTL Mk2> SORD M5 "Home" computer and a ****load of ZX81 junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Commodore 64 still up the attic, not alas, no joystick. Lifeforce was my favourite game, it was staunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Hey, Does anyone have an ST for sale?

Stupid parent threw out the ST itself on a mad cleaning frenzy!

I still have tons of games for it!

/Kone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Original Amiga 500 (none of this Plus malarky) in it's box.

YEAH BABY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I have an old Honeywell 8086 along with its EGA monitor in the attic gathering dust. Also have an Atari STFM in my wardrobe. Must dust that off some time and give it a lash. Anyone know if its possible to transfer the disc images you can download to 3.5 floppies that'll work in an ST ? Also have an Atari 2600 some place.

Unfortunately, I sold my VIC20 to buy my C64, and sold my C64 to get my C128 and sold my C128 to get an Atari STF and sold my Atari STF to get my Atari STFM (which I still have ... yeay).

Advertisement