Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am the Ultimate Top Trumps Card: Hear me Roar!

• 25-11-2002 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Schoolyard antics: gotta love 'em.

What about the rainy days though? The days when the heavens,

really opened and we were allowed to stay inside...

At my school, the choice was either:

(a) Read from a collection of tattered Beano's and Dandy's.
    (b) Crack out the Top Trumps and get some fights started!

Now I've had a few packs of Top Trumps in my time but one thing remains constant across the entire Top Trumps range:

THE UNBEATABLE CARD

What are your recollections of the elite few? I'll get you started:

(Pack : Unbeatable)

Trucks : 'The Lauster' (some kind of German Earth moving equipment);)

As in....
    Me: "Engine Capacity, 45 litres!"
    Friend: "45 litres??? What card's that???"
    Me (knowingly): "The Lauster"
    Friend: "B*stard!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus, Ozpass you must be even older than me!

Top Trumps ahhh...jumpers for goalposts... :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Yeah, I'm pretty ancient alright. Trying to figure out how to fit Spokey Dokeys to my zimmer frame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

(Pack : Unbeatable)

(UK Soccer clubs : 'Celtic/Rangers')

some guy: european cups
    me: [insert big number here]
    some guy: omg!! what you got?
    me: rangers/celtic. muhahahahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Alot of those card games were really poorly put together, such as one collection of ships ... only one card had "capacity" on it, so instant win. Then a Dinosaur collection with only 2 or 3 cards with a wing span entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Teh Hobgoblin has two unknowns and 20 weapons!!!!

pack: super villians : Hobgoblin

yeah top trumps make me feal old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Galactus had best stats but no unknowns and Dr Doom had the most weapons... BUT TWO UNKNOWNS!!!!

yes and "de nile" is a just a river in Eygpt....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yay top trumps.. used to have european football teams back when liverpool was a card actually worth having!

had concept cars,helicopters and aliens as well!

concept cars all being these horrible 80s wedge "visions" of the future ;)

I also had a fair few marbles... they had a small rise in popularity in our school mid-80s as well (haha that sentence sounds well dodgy).. but they're another thread (gwan the steelies!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

allies? pah :)
    i lived (still do) just beside a factory where after a bit of childhood peeking about we found a barrel full of them, exact same size as normal ones and a couple dozen double size steel ones.. filled up the pockets and traded as many as i could.. probably used as large ball bearings or something, but sure i didnt care hehe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If I remember correctly Thor was pretty l337 in the Marvel super Hero's pack and Hawkeye for his weapons...oh and the Silver surfer for a load of UNKOWNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by OSiriS
    Alot of those card games were really poorly put together, such as one collection of ships ... only one card had "capacity" on it, so instant win. Then a Dinosaur collection with only 2 or 3 cards with a wing span entry.

I remember some sod off US Aircraft Carrier which could beat just about everything on everything, apart from some mad gunboat which could do over 40 knots.

The one thing I did manage to finish was the Dandy Airline stickers (complete with asbestos chewing gum) and I still have an attic full of half completed football collections.

Always felt it went to crap when Panini started to let you order your missing stickers by post = rich kid/full book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Had the demons pack including Vampire, Medusa, etc, was actually pretty well balanced, there was also always one weakness that a card had so that if you got lucky and chose that one then you'd get his super duper T-Rex Strength 20 Speed 19 intelligence 2 card :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

just took out a pack of dragons and magic beasts, best overall card is blob (he has 95 magical force) exciting stuff, i still use them for drinking games with shots occasionally. great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Sorry for dragging up this old topic but I just had to ask - do they still make these? I remember when I was a kid I had Dragons and Magical Beasts, which was basically my introduction to the wonderful world of fantasy. I thought the deck was great but it somehow managed to get lost. :(

Anyone know where I could still get a Dragons and Magical Beasts deck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

oh wow, I used to remember playing them with my brother, "cylinders V8"

If you order anything from firebox.com you get a free pack of Top Trumps!

Had a look at firebox.com's selection of Top Trumps and Dragons and Magical Beasts was not among them. :(

It's just not the same. <sigh>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

you can get lord of the rings ones here..

https://vault2.secured-url.com/Big-Boys-Toys/acatalog/Games.html

and buffy and angel and loads of other ones.

Those are pretty much the same ones as they have on firebox. LOTR might be good but.... ah it's just not the same as Dragons and Magical Beasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Galactus super powers = 100 that was unbeatable I think

Also his height was pretty good (30ft or something)

God bless 3 card choice with galactus :D

Also that red flame villan dude had 2 unknowns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: "I remember some sod off US Aircraft Carrier which could beat just about everything on everything, apart from some mad gunboat which could do over 40 knots."

It was a Danish boat that could do 50 Knots ....

USS America - only 4 speed boats could beat it on speed - in the end to make it fair we used to use lower as well as higher ...
    Width 67 meters

And the U-boats were kinda pathetic..... all they could do was beat the speed boats on weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by damnyanks
    God bless 3 card choice with galactus :D

Wan the 3 card choice.
    Wasnt there a woman called Diablo or something that had weapons 99 or something really high?

I remember I had Marvel Super Heroes and racing Trucks.
    Lost most of the Super Hero cards, but the trucks should still be somewhere in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I know its not as good but right here we have online top trumps.

http://www.puncher.co.uk/hum_trumps.php

Oh the memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Also that red flame villan dude had 2 unknowns.

Dormamuu! I think....Yeah it was him

Yeah i had the Dragons and magical beasts one aswell. Was that the one with the wooden golem and the shapechangers in it?

I also had the deck with the various Aliens in it...and there was one that looked curiously like Boba Fett....

I had another one called Goblins and Fairyfolk, but I never really liked it.

I had the Marvel Heros and Villians ones aswell but weren't the best ones in the Heroes deck The American Eagle or something? and some guy called the Gardner??

I think I still ahve them upstairs in the attic somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find them.

If you still have the complete Dragons and Magical Beasts pack in good condition and you want to sell them let me know. Who made the Super Top Trumps cards anyway? Must try contacting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

I stiil have it but its certainly not in good condition, most of the cards are creased horizontally along the centre(Don't ask me what I was doing with them) and the original clear plastic bow they came in is long gone.

That's a shame. :( Does it say on the pack who made them? I'll badger them into re-releasing them if I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I have a few packs around at home still,
    space rockets, helicopters, luxury american cars, le mans cars(gwan the Jaguars!)

those games usually involved a lot of lying and cheating.....

Advertisement