Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Cops!, Ours or theirs?

Options
  • 25-11-2002 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Boy some silly ideas get more credence than they deserve when the context is Norn Iron but todays "run it up the flagpole and see who salutes" moment takes the biscuit.

Some FFer who I've never heard of but is apparently a "senior figure" has suggested that Garda are sent in to police republican-provo hotbeds like Crossmaglen and Newry. I can just see it now
    as, a unionists line up across roads to stop em crossing and, b loyalist gangs lay traps for them if they do cross.

Does anyone really think this is a goer?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't.

(especially given that we don't have a constitutional claim on the area any more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

Yeah, I think it could work out. We send fire brigades etc there in emergencies, it's possible gardas could work in the north. We may not have a constitutional claim to the north anymore but the thing of the moment is cross border co-operation and I dont see why this couldnt stretch to policing. Although the strength of a police force is its knowledge of the area and people so that could be a concern.

seán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

de Guards get south Armagh and the RUC riot squad can reciprocate by policing the aftermath of traveller weddings .....fair deal, nix 2 no go areas in one fell swoop.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is it not technically unlawful for anyone but the PSNI (who are the officially appointed police service in the country of Northern Ireland) to be enforcing the law there?

Whether it is or not, whoever suggested it, I think it's an utterly woefully bad idea.

Advertisement