Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed ADSL test, now what?

Options
  • 25-11-2002 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Well, as expected, after down grading my line (from ISDN) to get the 'test' run on the line, it failed.

The lady said something about "pre qualify fail". So do I have an alternatives now? Is there any point asking them to test again?

I guess my only choice is now to shell out €3000 for Digiweb.ie sat service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yes ring them up again and ask for another test. And if that fails, ring again. If that fails ring Esat and ask them to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

I tried calling Esat, but they are not in the exchange that I am in. Can they still test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Cherrio, keep calling and asking for the test. Get them to escalate the call and explain that you have paid to downgrade specifically to switch to dsl. Keep trying, its paid off for other people here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

HEY cherrio

What exchange are you in ?????

I would suggest you leave it about a week and then ask them to run the test again as the might have been a conflict with the database where you infomation is stored it takes 3 days for it to be updated and because you downgraded you line it may be treating your line as new line ???? and It might have to process your info again

and why did you downgrade your line thay can now provisionally check your line on ISDN but its not launched yet sounds like you got done by some muppet that doesent have a clue

I am in the Dennehy's Cross excahnge (in Cork).

I will try call them again, but is a major pain in the ass now back to 1 line.

There is no way I am getting ISDN again, either ADSL or else I am just going to goto Digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Cherrio, if you have the intestinal fortitude, stick with it. It took me nearly three months to get it and really, I cheated. Neither me nor my friend could get it, so we campaigned over and over to the manager of the ADSL area. Eventually, they fixed some problem on his line (or so they say) and delivered it. I am sharing it wirelessly with my friend a short distance away.
    Lots of people have told me that Eircoms test parameters are set too high and that is the only problem. In my case, they probably got fed up with me calling and decided to relax the test a little so that it would pass.
    Best of luck and don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

cherrio

pre qualify test? sounds like they are eliminating you on a technicality, like they think you atill have isdn

couple of questions

did you remove EVERYTHING from your line, bar one good old fashioned eircom supplied phone. if no, do that before they test again, and again, and again - its free after all

when did you request this - i'm on the douglas exchange and when i called the i-stream hotline 2 weeks ago and asked about downgrading from isdn for the purposes of the test they strongly recommended that i wait until january when they will be in a position to test over isdn. - if you were not advised of this you may have a case to get your isdn back foc.

Yes, everything is gone. Its back to the way it was before.

From what I gather, the pre quailify fail means, that they tested the line at the excahnge to see if the line can carry the required amount of data without errors/loss (I presume).

I am going to see if my friend can get it, then maybe share it between us wirelessly.

I called Eicom today and asked them to do the test again, and they said they wouldn't that if it fails that it will fail everytime. Should I just keep nagging them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yes!! Keep ringing, and don't let them know you've rang before. Even if they do know you have, demand it anyway.

When I ring, I am asking them to goto the excahnge and physically test the line again? Guess I am asking, what do I ask them?

• Advertisement

Ask them to check your line for errors and then retest. They will try to fob you off saying it isn't their area but be persistent. They can call the PSTN guys and request a line test. The one thing to watch out for is that they may charge you a callout (50 Euro?) if the line tests ok ie. You were wasting their valuable time!
    You can actually call 1901 yourself and ask one of the helpful ladies there to test the line first also.
    As others have said, keep at them. Be persistent. Don't give up. If you want the line, they will give it to you eventually. I know it's pathetic to have to fight for it but that's what a monopoly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

You seem to have to fight with Eircom for them to do most things unfortunately... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

just because some of you persisted, it does not mean it will be the same for everyone. I persisted like mad only to find out my line is over 5km long and I'm in a heavy residential area of dublin. Sometimes when they say your line failed, it really does mean it failed ...

You are totally correct ando. I should've qualified my statement. In my case, I knew I was within the distance and that my nextdoor neighbour does qualify for the service. That's why I was sure that persistance would pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Eircom would save themselves a lot of bother if they would clarify the situation and outline reasons for the failure. In cherrio's case there has to be a lingering doubt that the failure was because the results database wasn't updated to reflect the removal of his ISDN line. This doubt is amplified by this "pre qualify fail" terminology

I can see no reason why results of the test can't be made available, stating the specific reason for the failure. There are no liability issues resulting from this.

If I was cherrio I would certainly pursue this until someone in Eircom gave me the exact reason why the line failed and actually convinced me that it was impossible to provide the service. And also convinced me that it was impossible to remedy the cause of the failure.

I also believe that cherrio may have a case for having his ISDN reinstalled free of charge if Eircom removed it without telling him that the option to test over ISDN available in January. And there may even be an inconvenience issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Cherrio, when exactly were you told that you had to downgrade to PSTN to get the test?

According to the ODTR, eircom can carry out the test on an isdn line now rather than in january (see here )

I was told my a lady on the phone in the DSL sales Dept (1800 503303) that I would Have to downgrade before they could run the test.

Now I am back to a single line and its killing me. It is so fustrating and annoying working with Eircom.

I rang them again today. The person that I talked to this time told me that there was no test run, thats why it came up Pre Qualify Fail. But "the Guru" got a friend of his to run the test and it failed :-(

The only thing I can think of, is that with the ISDN I had to move the 'junction box' up to my bedroom (So I could connect to the comp).

After they took ISDN the main box is still in my room. So, when they ran the test they are checking the box upstairs rather than at the main point where the cables enter the house (Am I correct in this assumption?)

Perhaps the problem could be inside the house, cheap wires etc... How would I get Eircom to test the line to the point where it comes out of the ground and not to my bedroom?

Thanks to everyone who read and submited posts on this thread, if only Eircom was as help as the people here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I have to agree with what iwb wrote: be persistent. Just to give you an example, I live out in the country, and Eircom told me I could not get ISDN. After calling them almost daily for about a month, they finally promised to send out a technician. The technician never arrived, but because they had promised to send one out they had to follow up on that promise and actually send somebody out (well, a few phone calls later anyway).

When someone finally came out, he basically just tried to fob me off saying that ISDN would not work. I knew I wasn't too far away from the exchange, and a good length of the phone line was no more than a few years old as well, so I persisted again. Finally, they agreed to do a full test, and it turned out the line was excellent for ISDN, and did not show even a single error doing a 20 minute manual test.

Obviously if you know you are out of range for ADSL, this won't do anything. But if you are within range, keep calling them until they do a manual test, and if this fails get them to fix the problem on the line, or remove line sharing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was told my a lady on the phone in the DSL sales Dept (1800 503303) that I would Have to downgrade before they could run the test.

You should ring them and tell them to put you back on ISDN immediately. If they say no, you should contact the ODTR about it. Assuming this is recent of course.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I find this really funny. Eircom supply you a line and then shaft it for any / most sorths of internet use. Oh wait I think your gaurenteed a 9.600 connection from them or is it just Voice? What a silly shower of B's they are!

OHP

• Advertisement

When is a fail not a fail? When its Eircom of course!!

I called them up last Friday and asked them if there was any update, now it seems that my line CAN take ADSL!

I got the "the Guru" to confirm it (thank you Guru) just to make sure they weren't messing with my head! But yes it seems that I can get ADSL. Got an installation date of Dec 18th.

It seems that when I was told that my line had failed, the person whom I was talking to, did not even check to see if the test was completed, it wasn't.

A big thank you to everyone who said stay with it, as I almost certainly would not have persisted without their support.

I will post again when its gets installed.

Well ADSL got installed last week. I was truly shocked, when it worked first time!

I am downloading at 106K / sec at the moment, so vey happy:)

Big thanks to everyone who said stick with it, and to the Guru. Probably would have given up without everyones support. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I'm pretty happy for you - not sure why - I just am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Looking at some of eircom's staff, it makes me wonder if they just walk into the zoo, point out some monkeys and say "I'll take them! We need a new operator/handbag/customer service rep" :)

zynaps

Advertisement