Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What (oh what) to do about UTVip discussions?

Options
  • 25-11-2002 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by DeVore
    This thread is getting a bit ott now... like NOONE is going to read it from the start!

Should we start a new thread (or encourage the UTV guys to get a Commercial Interaction board? *hint* *hint* :) )

Honestly though, I dont mind but it seems a little incongruous to have a 50 page thread in IOFFL ...

DeV.

I too believe the UTV thread has well had its day.

Interest is as high as ever - the thread is still paying rent near the top of the forum all day; however no-one is going to read through it from the start.

Commercial board would be ideal to be honest (if UTV folks are thinking about this, do take a look at the komplett board to see the benefits). It would and could not (as I mention below) take the place of their own customer service and technical people. People would have to be aware that a UTV tech would not be dropping by to solve every technical or billing issue they might have.

That's just me talking btw - to my knowledge a commercial board is not actually on the discussion table (but I do think it would be beneficial for both UTV and customers)

Rather than just lock the other thread without a replacement (or opinion from Dustaz), open to suggestions.

Many of the UTV posts are technical in nature (on their own they would be popped over to Nets/Comms, some involve billing (don't know what to do about these if there are many new threads on it), some are general discussion/gushing/criticism.

So what do people think - new thread/new threads/new forum (note that this option would probably require some interest from UTV - no-one would expect them to answer a whole lot of technical questions - that's why they employ CS people to man the phones)?

Comments or suggestions please people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I'd prefare if it was kept open, at least when you write a question in that thread, you know someone from Utv will read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

That thread has been annoying me for some time now :)

Part of the reason i havent gone near it is because i dont want to see one hundred customer support utv threads here. Id love to see UTV get a board of thier own (please no accusations of buck passing :) ), but failing that, Im starting to think that locking it and (gulp) starting a new one might be the way to go given the communication level that has been seen on the original.

However, like Sceptre im easy one way or another on this, so tell us what do do folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I agree with DeVore,

A Commercial Interaction seems logical. UTVip is after all a commercial business and for them too have their own interactive community site on Boards.ie would seem to be a sound business decision.

While a link from this forum for a time might be appropriate in the interests of maintaining continuity of communication for all parties concerned.

Yours,

pady20:)

Paddy, theres a link to every forum at the top of the page :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you lock it before 1000 you'll make the baby Jesus cry.

[ To be honest, I find the irishbroadband ones much more annoying and pimpalicious. ]

adam

• Advertisement

Yeh, i should say the same goes for the IBB thread (altho i have some reservations about them in light of a lot of LOS fails, at least they still communicate a little on the thread).

yeh, the 1000 thing is a little tempting adam, but if needs must ... .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

imho i have really enjoyed the utv thread ,since i first posted ,I usually get a mail telling me someone else has posted ,and go there straight away to continue the saga.It is the thread that got me started here with ioffl and since then i check these boards daily..

having said that I can see your reasons for locking it giving how big it has grown..but it is definitely one to be proud of...the interaction has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I don't mind the UTV thread, in so much as it's a service which is openly available and producing the goods. The IBB one however is EXTREMELY irritating, seems to be nothing more then promise and waffle. UTV buying a board would be a good solution, but please lock that Irish broadband one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been blindlingly obvious that UTVinternet needs a forum of its own. Newbies are comming to the service all the time and many will be boads users yet to arrive, so best to give them thier own space. That way we dont end up with the tower of babbel the curent thread at times resembles. As for what it contains.. well everything utvip of course with input from the utvip managment as and when.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I know the thread is annoyingly long but I have read every post as its gone on and its answered many of my questions without me have to post.

I would like to see a UTV forum but I could see why that would be a bad idea, people would stop ringing customer support or using the online help page on the UTVip website and they cant become relient on a third party to host UTVs tech support.

If a forum was to be created I think it'd have to be restricted to questions about the service while 'I have a problem' posts would have to be closed with links and phone numbers of UTVs customer service department. Inevitably muppets would moan about threads beinging closed and anarchy would follow.

So whos going to sign up for a job like that? I dont think Malcolm and Martin had forum moderation in mind when they brought UTVip down south.

Whatever the decision I'm really happy with the service and interaction so far.

PS: sorry my account had no money in it when you tried to bill me, I'd spent it all on cheese :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I think it should be kept open. What exactly is the problem with it being long?

If nothing else, it will stand as a shing testament to the fact that the demand for even partial Flat Rate Access in Ireland is HUGE. It marked an important turning point, and is a part of IOFFL's history now, why not keep it?

well that ... and I want to see if boards.ie explodes when it gets to a 1,000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

oh ... and that leads me onto my next question.

Who is going to be the 1,000th poster of the UTV thread?

hmm ... could get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Keeping it open - Downside
    • Thread is a bit unwieldy and disorganized
    • Its very long and unlikely to be read from start to finish
    • There are numerous topics running concurrently
    Upside
    • Mud in your eye to every lurker from the Eircom/ESATBT cartel
    • The intermingling of technical and other issues continues to be very interesting – I’ve read stuff there that certainly broadens my perspective
    • In terms of topics it continues to evolve

Realistically a board of its own is probably the way to go, but at this stage in the IOFFL campaign its such a shining example of how things could be that I would be reluctant to see it disappear from the IOFFL forum.

On balance, I’d agree with nahdoic and vote for keeping it open. When the day comes that we have Eircom and Esat threads with thousands of posts (90% of which are either complimentary or constructive or both) with first hand musings from Nolan and Murphy included, we could close all three threads at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd love to know what UTV feel about this. Being straight has served them well in here, but perhaps they need a little nudge to come out and say "yes, we'd like a forum" or "no, we'd prefer not all the same".

You know, like I just did? :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Personally i dont see any reason for locking this thread. It's something everyone can relate too and everyone seems to know where it is so i suggest just leave it.

OHP

Advertisement