Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash transfer to uk question

Options
  • 25-11-2002 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

hey,

i need to transfer some money to a travel agent in the uk. they do not accept a cheque from an irish bank, it must be from an english bank. also i can't use my credit card because they say they will not accept a credit payment in euros.

to do a straight forward cash transfer i need their bank account number. thats sounds straight forward enough... right ??? wrong!!!!!! they are giving me the bank account name and all other details apart from the account number.

my bank won't transfer money unless i get the account number. does any one know if this is usual practice in england not to give the bank account number and just give the bank account name and all other details eg sort code, bank address etc....

the travel agents is octopustravel.com
    they advertise on usit.ie

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They should give you the account number.

To do a transfer like this, they banks use a system called SWIFT. If they leave out the account number payments can go astray, go into the wrong account etc. I can't see why they would be reluctant.

There is no reason they cannot take your credit card, if they accept cards from the UK. They do not get paid in Euro. To put it simply when they take payment from a card, they get paid by their bank in Sterling, who in turn collect money from your bank who bill you in Euro. Where the credit card comes from should not make any difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like BuffyBot, it doesn't make any sense to me as it doesn't make any difference to them (they know exactly how much money they're getting - all possible exchange fluctuations affect you, not them)

Bank draft in sterling maybe? It would certainly be cheaper - bank transfer to the UK is likely to cost you a fair bit.

I'd be really surprised if you could transfer money to their account without knowing the number. There was a time when you could transfer money to another Irish bank without knowing the account number (not any more AFAIK) - but never to a UK bank from here I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

thanks lads,
    There is no reason they cannot take your credit card, if they accept cards from the UK. They do not get paid in Euro. To put it simply when they take payment from a card, they get paid by their bank in Sterling, who in turn collect money from your bank who bill you in Euro. Where the credit card comes from should not make any difference at all.

thats exactly what i was thinking about the credit card transaction. i would be paying in euro and they would receive the money in sterling.
    Bank draft in sterling maybe? It would certainly be cheaper - bank transfer to the UK is likely to cost you a fair bit.

a bank transfer will cost €20 but the cash is transfered straight away.
    To do a transfer like this, they banks use a system called SWIFT. If they leave out the account number payments can go astray, go into the wrong account etc. I can't see why they would be reluctant.

the company did give me the SWIFT number but my bank still won't complete the transaction

the info the company in the UK gave me is

A/C: XXXXXX XXX <
    the account name was here

Sort Code: 99-99-99

Swift code: XXXXXX9X

Royal Bank of Scotland

Address: blah, blah, London, UK

any way.... i have sent my 3rd email to the travel company and explaining to them AGAIN that i need their account number also.... hopefuly i get it tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hope you dont mind me asking but what bank is it?

And check the credit card things again with them. They should accept that without a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It sounds to me like the travel agents do not know their arses from their elbows. Try talking to someone more senior. The boys above are right about the credit card, you will even see on your statement when you get it that Visa transfer the sterling amount to a euro value on your statement so they are definitely paid in sterling. Also the swift number is knid of like an extension to a sort code as far as I know so you will definitely need the bank account number, which they should have no problem giving out. Most companies now print their bank details out on their invoices so it is not highly confidential information.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Rabies
    Royal Bank of Scotland
    i'm awaiting a reply from the travel company today.
    will try to get in contact directly with the hotel and book the rooms with them and leave out the travel agent....

so much bloody hassel just to get a hotel room :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I tried to transfer money from my Ulster Bank account to Nat West (sister bank) in the UK to pay college fees last week and was pretty shocked to be told that'll be €20 please! How can they justify that extortionate price when they're practically the same bank! It'd be cheaper to use Western Union although my university don't accept that.

Thank god for credit cards!

Originally posted by eth0_
    I tried to transfer money from my Ulster Bank account to Nat West (sister bank) in the UK to pay college fees last week and was pretty shocked to be told that'll be €20 please! How can they justify that extortionate price when they're practically the same bank! It'd be cheaper to use Western Union although my university don't accept that.
    the €20 charge is only used if you want the cash to be transfered straight away.
    if time is not an issue and you can wait a few days for it to be cleared then there is no charge or if there is then it is very low
    It sounds to me like the travel agents do not know their arses from their elbows. Try talking to someone more senior.
    called them up last week and got it sorted. they guy i was dealing with never told me that they also had an irish bank account. bloody dumb ass :mad: things were so much easier when i called the company and spoke to some one else

Advertisement