Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive installation

• 25-11-2002 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I recently bought a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I installed it as the slave, set the jumpers, connected it along with my old 10gb hard drive and my bios recognised it, but then when I went into windows (XP professional), nothing showed up, and it still only displays my old 10gb drive. I bought the drive OEM, so there's no box, let alone a driver disc, but I don't think hard drives use them, right? Can anyone help me get windows to recognise the new drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Why set an 80 gig as a slave?

Put it as master and install XP, slave the 10 gig, copy relevant files to the new hard drive and experience better performance allround.

Oh yeah, partition the 80 gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You'll have to use Disk maanagement in Admin tools to format the drive and so on

Have a look here:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html
    (nice instruction list - it's on the Seagate site but applies to any drive install)

Take note that Win XP can't create partitions larger than 32GB if you plan on using FAT32 so either create partitions smaller than 32Gb or (recommended) use NTFS instead.

Like Ryo Hazuki I wouldn't install the 80GB drive as slave but that's only a personal thing - apart from lack of convenience when you want more C drive space there's nothing wrong with doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Using the 80 gig as a slave might be an advantage if the drive is to be used mainly for storage rather than being accessed frequently. If you have the 80GB as a slave, it won't experience as much wear and tear and should last longer (and be less likely to have any problems) than it would if it were the main system drive, being written to and read from regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Since the hard drive is a major bottleneck in any pc, its best to have it as the primary drive, running the operating system. You will see a noticeable performance increase.

Windows xp setup will guide you through partioning and formatting the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Underscore

I'm only using it as the slave for the moment, as my motherboard seems to have problems booting off a slave drive, so I need to leave my 10gig as the master until I can copy my files over to it. The problem is still there though, the drive doesn't show up anywhere in windows, even disk manager in the computer manager, but the bios detects it properly. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement