Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card + Memory

• 25-11-2002 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm looking into getting my own parts for a pc.

Anyway so far I've decided to go with AMD 2000 since its cheap enough and meant to be decent (?) My real dilema is in which graphics card and RAM to get.

What is the major difference in SdRAm and DDr ? I saw DDR ram is like 4 times the price for the same amount

Anyone know a cheap enough graphics card that works with same Mobo as athlon cpu. The machine would be used for games but usually not that graphics intense

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

your gonna have to go with DDR, as most mobos use that and when ur upgrading now why feel like a tit a month or 2 down the line when u wished u had gone with DDR, so i say go with the DDR

for the gfx, something like;

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=23325&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=25995&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=23482&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

there are a few options, but what kinda budget we looking at, is it a full pc build from case down to thermal paste ??

baz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

No no I know DDR is better. But I dont know why. What is a good reason to go with DDr apart from feeling like a tit in a few months which could be good mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

SDRAM = Single Data Rate
    DDRAM = Double Data Rate

Therefore 128meg of DDR will be equivalent to 256meg of SDR. The disproportionate pricing is due to simple market forces of supply and demand. SDRAM has been made and used for many years now and as anyone who upgraded their RAM 3 years ago will tell you (i.e. me) it has plummetted in price in the last 18 months. DDRAM is also falling in price now also as it becomes more common. My advice would be to start with 128/256meg of DDR and see how you get on and if/when you decide you need more it will almost certainly be cheaper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by milltown
    Therefore 128meg of DDR will be equivalent to 256meg of SDR.

Not true, SDR versus DDR refers to the speed of the RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by milltown
    SDRAM = Single Data Rate
    DDRAM = Double Data Rate.

actually, sdram stands for synchronos dynamic random access memory.

but essential, ddram is twice the speed of sdram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Hey I'm looking into getting my own parts for a pc.

Anyway so far I've decided to go with AMD 2000 since its cheap enough and meant to be decent (?) My real dilema is in which graphics card and RAM to get.

What is the major difference in SdRAm and DDr ? I saw DDR ram is like 4 times the price for the same amount

Anyone know a cheap enough graphics card that works with same Mobo as athlon cpu. The machine would be used for games but usually not that graphics intense

I found my xp2000+(I've had 4 of them) V good .. recommend it

Komplett(who else) are having a weekly offer HERE for 95euro

and a creative ti4200 here , though this is bulk (ie no proper box - only driver)

Advertisement