Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go for it?

• 26-11-2002 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A girl i know well enough to know i like I've been told likes me.

We get on, she's funny, nice and we have things in common.

Only problem is she's two years younger than me, I know it doesnt sound much but I'm 17 she 15, both our birthdays in July.

Anyone have any views ie should I go for it or perhaps should I decide she's too young, wait a while running the risk she'll like someone else by then.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah go for it
    my girlfriend is 1 1/2 years younger than me and i love her more than anyone in the world
    if its meant to be dont let age get in the way,imagine your wedding day your 28 and shes 26, OH no what will people think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

go for it, be careful about the legalities in general , is it 16 or 17, (I think its 17 that is technically legal for the whole sex thing, so beware)
    but nopoint in waiting bfore u know she is the girl for you, so fire ahead and have a go but be nice, and be respectful and treat her well, and then u should have no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

If it fits into the "your_age / 2 + 7 >= her_age" formula, then you should be ok

17 / 2 + 7 = 15.5 Yep, it's valid... go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Good luck with it not sure, but I would emphaisise what lafortezza said. One might be likely to dismiss it under the "it will never happen to me", but far too often when parents here of these kind of relationships turning sexual, accusations of statutory rape are never bheind. And the legal age for full sex us 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

My girlfriend's 10 years younger than me. Im 28 she's 18.

Dont bother me or her so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my girlfriend is 2 years younger than me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by not sure

Only problem is she's two years younger than me, I know it doesnt sound much but I'm 17 she 15, both our birthdays in July.

Well my gf is 8 years younger, 2 years difference at your age is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Lord of Terror
    If it fits into the "your_age / 2 + 7 >= her_age" formula, then you should be ok

17 / 2 + 7 = 15.5 Yep, it's valid... go for it :)

shouldn't that be "your_age / 2 + 7 < = her_age"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

When I was 14 I went out with a 17 year old guy for a year. Obviously, it ended so it wasn't eternal love or anything, but it worked well while it was good. (My parents hated him though.)

If you have a proper intellectual connection with her (i.e. if the fact that she's a few years behind you in school etc. doesn't make any difference) then go for it.

Bear in mind that at your ages you might find her younger friends irritating - although, in early to mid-teens, girls are more mature than lads so it works out okay.

As has been said, be a gent. You're probably a little more experienced than she is. Be considerate and move slowly.

I understand why you're asking about this. It makes no difference once you get older, but when you're at the kids-becoming-adults phase, age makes a difference.

Good luck with it all anyhoo. I hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    One might be likely to dismiss it under the "it will never happen to me", but far too often when parents here of these kind of relationships turning sexual, accusations of statutory rape are never bheind.

Actually. I read before that there's only ever been one case of satutary rape, where the girl admitted to freely having sex, recorded in Ireland/Dublin ever.

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

id say it'd work at that age-its not a huge age gap, and (sorry) guys mature a little later than girls so youre probably both roughly at the same place in yer lives

i went out with someone who was 5 years older than me. never again. he was thinking marriage and babies i was thinking of fun. needless to say we're not togther anymore. thats not to say its the same for everyone, i have friends who have a ten year age gap, shes no 19, hes 29 (theyve been going out since she was 14) and theres no problems there

but 2 years is no where in the same league as that. yeah. be careful with the sex thing.

Originally posted by p
    Actually. I read before that there's only ever been one case of satutary rape, where the girl admitted to freely having sex, recorded in Ireland/Dublin ever.

- Kevin

i heard on one of those late night radio phone in shows that a guy was getting done for it, recently. they both had consentual sex, but she never told him her real age, and he thought she was older than she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Originally posted by thedrowner
    ...thats not to say its the same for everyone, i have friends who have a ten year age gap, shes no 19, hes 29 (theyve been going out since she was 14) and theres no problems there.

14 year old girl and 24 year old man?

I have no doubt that it's grown into a mature love now and all that...but that doesn't seem right at all.

It's a man and a child (who happens to have a woman-ish body).

I sometimes feel suspicious of men who seek out very young girls like that. I think it's indicative of something weird and immature in their character.

One of my very best friends who I live with is a 24 year old guy and if he took home a 14 year old girl I think I'd be very unhappy about that! Imagine! She couldn't drink, drive, have sex, work part-time, would have to be in bed by 11...

Don't you think that's odd? Am I alone on this?

I mean, at 14 I was mature, and I was certainly no fool and I knew what I was doing with boyfriends, but I couldn't have handled a relationship with a 24 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by thedrowner

i have friends who have a ten year age gap, shes no 19, hes 29 (theyve been going out since she was 14) and theres no problems there

but 2 years is no where in the same league as that. yeah. be careful with the sex thing.

so when she was 14 her boyfriend was 24 does anyone else think that is totally wrong?

So was he having sex with her when she was 14? or did he wait 3 years until she was legal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

As for the original post I say go for it. I've had two previous relationships where the women was two years younger and it didn't matter a damn. If you feel like you have a connection and enjoy each others company there's no reason not to get together:)
    Regarding thedrowner's post I'm in total agreement with neuro-praxis and Sposs. I'm very suprised that this girls parents didn't intervene in this releationship ,I know my Family and friends would be horrified by the thought of me at 23 going out with a 14 year old girl. Even amongst myself and my mates now 17 would be pushing the boat a little IMO. I'm forced to ask the question How on Earth did these people meet?? A night club seems a bit unlightly....

thanks guys i feel a lot more confident about it k=now, ill let yas know how i get on in a few days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Good man yourself:) I'm sure it will work out great!

well, i thought it was a bit gross but hey, they're happy-i never questioned them on their sex life or anything we're close but not that close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

24-14 wrong wrong wrong, have to agree with everything neuro said there.

Hope everything works out well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

14-24
    thats just real odd. altho i spose different strokes to different folks
    a girl i know who's 17 is going out with a 23 year old. i found that odd simply because she's not the best looking girl(i sound horrible dont i?) and i figured at 23 he could find a better looking girl his own age, or at least once that wasn't in school.
    granted i spose ive never met him and he could be a minger:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

2years nps, its fun not a life commitment ;) go 4 it man /me hums foxy lady tune :cool:

sorry to burst your bubble mate but kids are more trouble then they are worth. alot of people may see things different than you and ridicule you for going out with a girl alot younger. hey maybe in wrong but there is plenty of implications with this so think first is the advice id give to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Go for it?

Yes go for it. Carpe Diem. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, shìt happens, no biggie, no problem, no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

Originally posted by FreaK_BrutheR
    My girlfriend's 10 years younger than me. Im 28 she's 18.

Dont bother me or her so....

what kind of sick weirdo are you???

Originally posted by catspring

He's a lucky one! ;)

believe me, he is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Originally posted by catspring

Now now Pear.... Carefull!!! .... or it may have repercussions on next weekend's plans!!! :)

ooops, soz sweety (hahaha), consider that statement retracted.

Advertisement