Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

urgent: mixing ram

• 26-11-2002 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I currently have two 128mb 133 SDRAM cards in my machine, I have one available slot, and some cash to spare (have you seen the prices on komplett!!!),

Do I need to buy another 128mb 133Mhz, or can I buy any 133 mb chip, 256 or 512 etc.

I'm not sure about this, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this urgently.

And does anyone know the difference between ram that does fit BX and does not, is this a motherboard thing, and do I need to find out which is which?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Depends on your motherboard, have you got the manual ?
    Some mobos can be VERY picky.
    There is also the question of error correction and registered RAM !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

I don't have the manual, and don't have a clue.

I think the two ram chips inside are two different 128mb 133 as well. So not sure if that makes much of a difference.

OK, can you tell me wht make and model of PC it is ??
    Or is it one that was 'home-made' i.e. did a mate build it for you ?

I had it built for me by a local computer company.

it has a K7VZA motherboard me thinks (VIA), if thats of any use.

OK, I downloaded the manual, you can have a maximum of 1.5 GB of RAM, i.e you can use up to 3 x 512Mb sticks, so to answer your initial question, YES you can stick in whatever size of stick you want, when you're ordering from komplett make sure it's PC133 unbuffered.

Enjoy !

:)

• Advertisement

thanks, most appreciated. a question though, how do I know if its unbuffered? most of the ram (sdram) on komplett does not say if it is buffered or not, so what do I do? I'm thinking of 512 from http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=&p=8906&t=&l=&view=default

if you select the memory section and then select SDRAM you will see the Crucial PC133 modules which also say unbuffered.

Although now that I look at your link, it is confusing. Maybe try the komplett board on here and see if Pat (the komplett rep.) can point you to the right one.

Advertisement